Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7 Extinct Animals: Rare Photographs

Commander CMG

From panthers and pandas to rhinos and tigers, dwindling animal numbers speak of the need to step up conservation efforts – if it’s not already too late. As a kind of wake-up call, we decided to take a look at seven extinct species captured on camera. With modern photography having only been invented in the 1820s, these snapshots are visible testament to just how recently the creatures shown were wiped out – and a jarring reminder of the precarious situation for many species still left on the planet.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 2

looking through the photos its seems such a shame they've died out. they have now joined the club of, the 99% of all life that as ever existed on earth is now extinct. it shows how fragile life is.

• Like 3

Cool photos.

Sad that all these creatures are gone because of human short-sightedness, greed and ignorance.

• Like 4

I'm afraid if something isn't done the Bengal and Siberian Tiger will be extinct in the wild. There may be a few left in zoos.

Its a shame so many of these animals went extinct because of man and more are sure to follow. So sad this has to happen.

• Like 2

I'm afraid if something isn't done the Bengal and Siberian Tiger will be extinct in the wild. There may be a few left in zoos.

In fact there are more tigers in captivity than in the wild.They will probably not go extinct but the price is their loss of freedom.

• Like 2

Its a shame so many of these animals went extinct because of man and more are sure to follow. So sad this has to happen.

But that's just it..it DOESN'T have to happen. Education and awareness coupled with adequate forethought is the key.

Yes, I know some animals are headed for extinction regardless but we certainly do not need to help it along.

After looking at the Thylacine now I want one. :)

• Like 2

This is so sad to see.....At least there is some conservation going on in zoos and the like. It's good to know people are trying their best to keep endangered species going, but it's still an uphill struggle. On its own it's not a perfect solution either and It won't save all species. Something much more needs to be done to prevent this from happening. Sadly, as we can see from the photos, it's already too late for some and many more will follow.

• Like 1

According to the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES);

"On the widely noted declining plant and animal biodiversity in the wild, Zakri said “we are hurtling towards irreversible environmental tipping points that, once passed, would reduce the ability of ecosystems to provide essential goods and services to humankind.”"

And it's not just loss of animal biodiversity;

"Crops have suffered a loss of 75 percent of genetic diversity in the last century as locally-adapted varieties were abandoned in favor of genetically uniform varieties."

All your up to date mass extinction news here.

This is why poachers should be hung from the neck until dead. Alternately, shot in the balls until bled out.

Mourning isn't prevention, and based on trends, there is no prevention.

All the blabbity-blab against me for being hardcore brushed aside...action is needed, and if governments can't act, civilians must.

• Like 1

Maybe animals shouldn't be reprimanded for killing humans.

Really, what's the difference?

Maybe they're collecting human hides...and feeding their family's human meat.

We humans are a naive species. We have it all wrong.

• Like 1

We humans are a naive species. We have it all wrong.

You got that right.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 2

"We need to bring this to bear in a radical, fiery, dynamic and committed way." I couldn't have said it better myself.