Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds of Thousands protest in Egypt

Ashotep

This is the biggest protest Egypt has seen in 2 1/2 years. Can't say that I blame them, who wants to live under Islamic law. I don't think that is what they fought so hard to get Mubarak thrown out for.

Young protesters attack Muslim Brotherhood headquarters in Cairo

• Like 6

5 stars and may the Egyptian people's wishes be granted as they wish upon the stars to be free from cruel laws. :td:

:gun: I read a Tweet minutes ago that read: Egyptian protesters claim our U.S. Administration's Top Gunner is supporting terrorism. :blush: No proper name was printed to keep the N.S.A. and E.C.H.E.L.O.N.'s snooping computers away from this pc.

Last edited by me for this pic via Twitter!

I hope it works when you click the link...

https://twitter.com/Skytwitius/status/351322258809167873/photo/1

Edited by Malaria_Kidd
  • Like 4

What the hell are they protesting for? Don't they understand that Obama set them free???

• Like 3

It is not hard to get a large number of people into the street if the city involved is large enough, so the size of the crowd doesn't mean much. A new election would probably put the Muslim Brotherhood back in power. This is a problem with democracy -- it is capable of imposing what is called "A tyranny of the majority."

It is not hard to get a large number of people into the street if the city involved is large enough, so the size of the crowd doesn't mean much. A new election would probably put the Muslim Brotherhood back in power. This is a problem with democracy -- it is capable of imposing what is called "A tyranny of the majority."

Poppy freakin' c*** or...just plain poppycock

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

I would not expect anything from it. Once islamists take power, they never hand it back. (After all, they are on a mission from god.)

And while Obama was so eager to throw the secular Mubarak under the bus, he is determined to support the islamist thugs with all American ressources.

So don´t hold your breath for the Mursi regime to fold.

• Like 1

Poppy freakin' c*** or...just plain poppycock

Not a very useful response; maybe you just didn't understand -- that's the best interpretation on your response I can think of

Not a very useful response; maybe you just didn't understand -- that's the best interpretation on your response I can think of

No, I understood quite well...you said:

This is a problem with democracy -- it is capable of imposing what is called "A tyranny of the majority."

I'm saying...that is poppycock! An example of a 'tyranny of the majority' would be a lynching. Democracy has nothing to do with it! The problem in Egypt was that a Dictator was displaced, replaced, by an outofcontrol, manchild of a president in the United States. Obama stuck his naive, manipulative nose into something that was none of his business and millions of people reaped the consequences of it.

The fact is Democracy doesn't create any problems...it SOLVES them! Tyrannys create problems...majority or not!

• Like 4

The Muslim Brotherhood won the election and no one thinks otherwise. That is as democratic as it gets. That the Brotherhood is imposing its religion on people who don't want it is the tyranny. Therefore tyranny of the majority. Those demonstrators in the street are not a majority, as is demonstrated by the election results.

I don't like this outcome at all, but it happens when one religion dominates a place.

The Muslim Brotherhood won the election and no one thinks otherwise. That is as democratic as it gets. That the Brotherhood is imposing its religion on people who don't want it is the tyranny. Therefore tyranny of the majority. Those demonstrators in the street are not a majority, as is demonstrated by the election results.

I don't like this outcome at all, but it happens when one religion dominates a place.

Okay...Poppycock is now overly redundant...so ...I refrain from using the word anymore in this thread...or any other...(you are welcome)...

If you seriously think what happened in Egypt was as 'democratic as it gets' then the word for your post isn't poppycock...it is...Clueless...Totally clueless to the reality that is happening in the world right under your nose.

• Like 2

I would call it a difference in perception: in my case an acceptance of reality, in your case paranoid conspiracy theories.

I would call it a difference in perception: in my case an acceptance of reality, in your case paranoid conspiracy theories.

youll figure it out one day bro
  • Like 2

If I recall correctly, Meryt Tetisheri listed MULTIPLE sketchy moves by the MB in that election. Plenty of room to doubt it's veracity. The Army seems to be the only broker which can decide who will sit in the office. It will be interesting to see how much respect Mursi gives the generals moving forward.
  • Like 3

If I recall correctly, Meryt Tetisheri listed MULTIPLE sketchy moves by the MB in that election. Plenty of room to doubt it's veracity. The Army seems to be the only broker which can decide who will sit in the office. It will be interesting to see how much respect Mursi gives the generals moving forward.

Personally I don't doubt that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election. People can always find things to raise questions, and this sort of thing is underwhelming. All elections are fraudulent to one degree or another (like the Philadelphia returns in Obama's victory). You are I think right about the army's role. For them it is lose-lose so I have no guess what they will do.
  • Like 1

Personally I don't doubt that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election. People can always find things to raise questions, and this sort of thing is underwhelming. All elections are fraudulent to one degree or another (like the Philadelphia returns in Obama's victory). You are I think right about the army's role. For them it is lose-lose so I have no guess what they will do.

You forgot about Florida in the Bush elections.
  • Like 2

Well now that Spring has come and gone for them - is it the Summer of their discontent, or ... is winter coming?

It seems that every move the people of the middle east make to liberate themselves some radical islamist group jumps in to fill the void and everything ends up twice as bad as it was before - it's like a melting pot of religiously zealous insanity.

• Like 4

Well now that Spring has come and gone for them - is it the Summer of their discontent, or ... is winter coming?

It seems that every move the people of the middle east make to liberate themselves some radical islamist group jumps in to fill the void and everything ends up twice as bad as it was before - it's like a melting pot of religiously zealous insanity.

I have to agree with that. People including women work hard and take chances protesting to make life better for themselves and the radicals come in and make things worse. Morsi needs to grow a pair and out the radicals or get out himself.
  • Like 2

I think Mursi will do whatever it takes to stay in power - unlike Mubarak. And why not? Obama seems to have his back...

• Like 2

May be it is not hard to gather a few thousand demonstrators in a city as large as Cairo, but to gather millions of demonstrators nationwide? Explosive devices were thrown in the midst of demonstrators in Port Said, live ammo is being used in Fayyoum, Assiut, Mansoura, Tanta...some hospitals are closed, there are not enough doctors to treat the wounded in many others; there is an acute shortage of blood in most hospitals yet Egyptians continue to flood the streets. People do not risk their lives for a 'day out in town'. The anger is genuine and the demonstrations are spontaneous. Tamarod/ Rebel called for demonstrations on a certain date and the people willingly responded because they reject both Mursi and the MB, in other words, the people have spoken.

As for your other comments about the presidential elections, you may consider the present demonstrations as people 'voting with their feet'. The last elections were fraudulent and there are several court cases investigating them but the process was stalled because the minister of Justice, the prosecutor general are MB stooges. The electoral lists were forged, with names of voters appearing on several lists ( in one case 625 times!), many ballots were pre-marked, 'vanishing ink' was used in some districts, election boxes were replaced in others, some boxes even had neatly stacked ballot cards! There is another factor which affect the results was the "lemon squeezers": those who were not for Mursi yet voted for him because the only other alternative, Shafik, was in their opinion worse ( it is a custom in Egypt to squeeze lemon juice on something nauseating that one is forced to swallow). If 13 million voted for Mursi, 22 million signed a petition demanding his impeachment, between 14 million (according to army sources) and 33 million ( I cannot verify this number) are demonstrating against him now.

It would require nothing short of a miracle for the MB or any other Islamist party to solely govern Egypt for a long time to come

• Like 5

I think Mursi will do whatever it takes to stay in power - unlike Mubarak. And why not? Obama seems to have his back...

It is likely that the old sectarian card will be used again. There are pamphlets circulating in Upper Egypt threatening Copts that their children, homes and businesses will be burnt down if they participate in the demonstrations. There are also rumors that both mosques and churches might be attacked to ignite a sectarian diversion. So far this is not working.

• Like 2

The great shame in this is that Obama is throwing in his weight (and that of the superpower) behind the MB islamist thugs. And that, after having actively help to dispose of the secular Mubarak.

I was not on this board at the time, but on other lists I predicted already before the Obama win that an Obama administration would be a disaster for the Middle East. I was proven right.

• Like 1

16 killed according to Egyptian government sources (18 according to the opposition) and close to 800 wounded.

Hi Meryt,

Was waiting to hear from you on this one. I pray you and your family are safe and well and that you get the justice and freedoms you have fought so long and hard for.

My thoughts are with you and your countrymen.

• Like 4

Hi Meryt,

Was waiting to hear from you on this one. I pray you and your family are safe and well and that you get the justice and freedoms you have fought so long and hard for.

My thoughts are with you and your countrymen.

Thankl you lib, I am touched by the kindness of your post.

I am not living in Egypt, but my family (those who are still 'undispersed') are mostly living not far from the presidential palace so I am worried about them, and I do worry about the future of Egypt and its people. I pray that the present demonstrations will lead to a truely democratic secular government that will respect all its citizens and dedicate itself to working for them, not against them.

• Like 5