Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bringing Eastern Spirituality to the US

ambelamba

I'm all for separation of church and state. This is a secular world, we should allow it to be run under secular rules. The Bible even supports this by telling us to obey earthly authorities. However, the command to preach the gospel to all nations overrides that, so if a country makes it illegal to preach, then breaking the law is warranted. In the same way as hiding Jews during the Nazi regime was breaking the law, but many Christians did it anyway.

Excuse me, no, it is NOT anything like hiding the Jews from the Nazis, they were keeping people from going to camps and being killed and tortured. I just can't even believe you made that comparison. Your sneaky missionaries are just going to gain followers and convert people.

I have to say in all honesty that I love all sorts of religious architecture except those Mormon things.

In my experience they are nicer and more tolerant than most Christians. I have had many Mormon clients over the years. I like them very much. Only once did I get a respectful invitation to a temple. At least the Mormons for the most part are disciplined. I find this aspect laking in other religions. They also have a solid plan, vision, and leadership. They also take care of each other. There are very few unemployed Mormons, and you can be sure that there is a wealthy Mormon business owner who has a Job waiting.

They are as a culture also fiercely loyal and committed people.

I suspect Mormonism will spread into the future, and although I could never agree with their spiritual assertions, most Mormons live happy, strong and prepared lives. If I were to choose a religion based on what it does for its people Mormonism would be a fine choice.

I'm talking about their architecture, not about Mormons as people. I don't like their buildings -- all that whiteness and a tall spire with an angel blowing a trumpet on the top. What a visual cliche!

The pictures posted above of various North American Buddhist and Hindu architecture got me to thinking about it. With maybe the exception of Caodai stuff in Vietnam (gaudy and reflecting an excess of Tao influence but still in its way wonderful in its galloping exuberance), Asian religious architecture is profound and varied and beautiful.

So is Islamic architecture, especially its colors and shapes (where the ban on depicting living forms brings out a need for use of geometrical imagination that is wonderful). Obviously no one would ever question European Catholic architecture -- it is beyond that. Even more modern church types like those of the Quakers or the simple New England-type spired churches are wonderful in their directness and sobriety.

Excuse me, no, it is NOT anything like hiding the Jews from the Nazis, they were keeping people from going to camps and being killed and tortured. I just can't even believe you made that comparison. Your sneaky missionaries are just going to gain followers and convert people.

We are taught to spread the word. And while I personally don't ever think I have what it takes to be a missionary (call me too worldly, if you like), those who do feel it part of their calling. Jesus called us to preach God to all people. That doesn't stop because an earthly organisation decides they don't want it. I understand the differences in the analogies presented, but in theological terms, is it that much different? The Nazi's only killed the bodies, those who die without God have to worry about their souls????!!!!!!????

I'm talking about their architecture, not about Mormons as people. I don't like their buildings -- all that whiteness and a tall spire with an angel blowing a trumpet on the top. What a visual cliche!

Got it..... Literal architecture... Hehehe. Yeah it's bit much me thinks.

When I was a teenager my mother was a follower of Kirpal Sing, a very good man and I belive not a charlatan. I read his literature and learned from him, yet it did not take me away from my faith. Perhaps because I simply studied it and allowed my insights to continue.

Peace

mark

• Like 1