Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Croatia becomes 28th EU member

Big Bad Voodoo

Thanks Solar. You can preview how is in Europe...just go to Mercator S or Roda... :tu:

Haha good 1. But yeah, it's good when you're able to peruse something before getting into it, 'cause once you're in there's no easy way out :) Now, who's in for some 80s ??

[media=]

[/media]
...We should make one for USA aswell.

They were so good to us...

Go for it. Although If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not, now do I ?

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 1

get along nicely, 'Helen of Annoy' and 'the L'. with your neighbour Serbia. you'd almost be forgiven for thinking there is bad blood between the two.

Solar is the product of your politicians and their outdated, thoroughly racist and pretty much demonic idea of forcibly forming new, conglomerate nations. Was it too tiresome for inbred brains to govern too many nations?

So it’s your job to pacify your ally because he is again making a spectacle of his sorry little jealous ass and I'm not forced anymore to tolerate his vicious crap.

Actually, this thread is like a model of what was (and is) truly going on in reality.

• Like 1

Don’t hope, we have no sense at all :lol: Seriously. We’re ****ed, I know that, but I’m still so glad we’re finally in the same crap with you and other likeable folks.

[...]

Can't be true, simply can't...

[...](I won’t comment on basketball because I have horrible feeling you might be right.)[...]

Didn't happened this year. Maybe in next tournament.

Yes now its all how will we use investments and EU market.

[...]

Ideally yes, but in reality that may turn in somewhat grey colors. It depends on your politicians and electorate.

[...]

Our golden age of Basketball is gone. sadly..When Kukoć, Rađa, Petrović played. But we have young hopes...

[...]

They were top players, Dražen, especially... But new star rises - Dario Šarić, for example.

[...]We will see about that "crush."

That will be later, in following years. You got defeated by Serbs, we got rolled over by Yanks in semis (with quite embarrassing result), but you are still amongst 8 strongest teams in the world (U19, of course)!

Nevertheless, when small country, with population, a bit less than Berlin, has so many sport talents (football, basketball, handball, etc), thats amazing, Croatia :clap:

• Like 2

It’s amazing to see a bus or a car with Lithuanian plates in Croatia.

That should be recognized as an extreme sport, driving all the way down here. I’m mentioning that because every time I see Baltic plates I feel like poking my head inside the bus, asking if everyone’s alive and can they feel their legs.

It’s amazing to see a bus or a car with Lithuanian plates in Croatia.

That should be recognized as an extreme sport, driving all the way down here. I’m mentioning that because every time I see Baltic plates I feel like poking my head inside the bus, asking if everyone’s alive and can they feel their legs.

Heh, we would rattle to the Pluto on the bus, if cheap...

On the serious note, friends and acquaintances who have traveled across Croatia were very satisfied and happy.

• Like 1

Ideally yes, but in reality that may turn in somewhat grey colors. It depends on your politicians and electorate.

They were top players, Dražen, especially... But new star rises - Dario Šarić, for example.

That will be later, in following years. You got defeated by Serbs, we got rolled over by Yanks in semis (with quite embarrassing result), but you are still amongst 8 strongest teams in the world (U19, of course)!

Nevertheless, when small country, with population, a bit less than Berlin, has so many sport talents (football, basketball, handball, etc), thats amazing, Croatia :clap:

Šarić is realy talented.

Im not big fan of basketball and only one Lithuanian player that in this moment come to my mind is Sabonis.

You are also quite good for your population.

Šarić is realy talented.[...]

Yeap, plus other players are good.

[...]

Im not big fan of basketball and only one Lithuanian player that in this moment come to my mind is Sabonis.

[...]

That is the past. But we have "monster" Valančiūnas nowadays...

[...]

You are also quite good for your population.

Not so, cause other sports just sucks, starting with the football....

Sad part, our electorate is swinging between right and left. Righties (I'm not a supporter of them) dragged us from recession quite nicely (with all consequencies) , but now we have lefties (plus whole bunch of populists/morons), who have no clue about running the state... My only hope, Croatia will stick with those capable, and not promisable...

What concerns me is Serbia's accession to the EU (sometime in the next 5 years). That, I think , is misguided and wrong because if tensions between Serbia and Croatia became strained to the point of armed conflict then the EU would have little room to manoeuvre. At the moment Serbia is not able to meet the SAA requirements, and quite honestly, if it ever does then there should be a popular movement (just 50, 000 signatures required) to force the EU Power Brokers to re-consider.

I would much prefer to see Kosovo in the EU than Serbia. Just IMO

• Like 1

It would be no contest. Serbia knows it. We are in NATO. Plus we have our army. In 1990s we didnt have and won. Serbs in Serbia dont have motives for Croatia land as they were in 1990s. Croatia have policy of not striking first. And Serbia knows there would be no contest.

Problem might be Serbs in Bosnia.

Edited by the L
  • Like 2

Kosovo needs years and years if not decades to enter EU. Serbia also have long road to cross.

I think Bosnia is delicate question. No one knows destiny of Bosnia.

But Croatia will support all them. Because you cant be Swiss when your neighbour is Afghanistan.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

It would be no contest. Serbia knows it. We are in NATO. Plus we have our army. In 1990s we didnt have and won. Serbs in Serbia dont have motives for Croatia land as they were in 1990s. Croatia have policy of not striking first. And Serbia knows there would be no contest.

Problem might be Serbs in Bosnia.

Truth is that any attempt by Serbia to attack Croatia would automatically trigger the Common Defense Protocol. Serbia would instantly find itself faced with NATO. No UN Resolution required. Serbia would be forcibly de-militarised.

I therefore withdraw my comments about Serbian membership of the EU (but I dont think Serbia will meet the conditions for entry anytime soon), but would NOT support their entry.

• Like 2

Truth is that any attempt by Serbia to attack Croatia would automatically trigger the Common Defense Protocol. Serbia would instantly find itself faced with NATO. No UN Resolution required. Serbia would be forcibly de-militarised.

I therefore withdraw my comments about Serbian membership of the EU (but I dont think Serbia will meet the conditions for entry anytime soon), but would NOT support their entry.

I liked your post because you show remarkable understanding of the situation, not because I hope for that hypothetical situation to become real.

I liked your post because you show remarkable understanding of the situation, not because I hope for that hypothetical situation to become real.

Neither would I like to see that hypothetical situation become manifest. :no:

Croatia can finally know "peace" for all of its Citizens, no more fear that their bigger neighbour can terrorise it, for as long as NATO exists!

I believe that Croatia has much to offer the world, and the people and tools to make it happen

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 3

I wish Croatia choose path of science. Rather then historical issuses and religion orientated society.

And for once that we dont know who is Ministry of Health care or Defense.

Look Swiss, Finns...ask them...They dont know to count three politician. They dont care.

Best goverment is invisible goverment.

As Churchill said: Those nations produce more history then they can swallow.

Thinking on Balkan in General.

We have historical persons as we are China.

I think that we need wealthfare state orientated on science and joy of people.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

I wish Croatia choose path of science. Rather then historical issuses and religion orientated society.

And for once that we dont know who is Ministry of Health care or Defense.

Look Swiss, Finns...ask them...They dont know to count three politician. They dont care.

Best goverment is invisible goverment.

As Churchill said: Those nations produce more history then they can swallow.

Thinking on Balkan in General.

It would be easier to swallow if people like him didn’t serve it cold, but in the warm and fuzzy EU spirit I will not deliver another rant :D

We have historical persons as we are China.

I think that we need wealthfare state orientated on science and joy of people.

Amen! err... I mean: hear! hear! :D

• Like 1

I do not worry about serbia attacking croatia. Srebia would not stand a chance. As L pointed out it is still very fragile in bosnia though. But, the bosnians having now what they did not have in the early nineties, it is unlikely serbia would make a move. They have lost kosovo, vojvodina is raising their voice, sandjak is threatening to seperate if the serb entity does try to seperate...again very confusing. Serbia needs to come to terms that they are sole responsible for the bloodbath. I hope sooner then later they will recognize that they too are a part of europe and that one can not live of mtyhs and legends.

• Like 2

Sadly I think that Bosnia in these borders dont have future.

I think that Republika Srpska will be compesation for Kosovo.

Americans wouldn't spend so much duct tape on holding B&H together for no reason.

I also don’t think Serbia can expect compensations at the moment.

Especially not a compensation that would result with geostrategic abomination.

Serbia still cultivates strong anti-NATO sentiment. No one sane would award them (and for what) with territory that reaches deeply into yours, creating the perfect tool for endless extortions.

Kosovo is out of Serbia for the same reason why Serbian entity will stay in Bosnia, and that reason is the physical security of Europe.

Believe it or not. I love Russians, with their wild creativity and soul, almost like ours, but if you give them an airport, they take the whole state...

The above can change, if Serbian paradigm changes.

But if that miracle happens, they won’t seek compensations but cooperation.

Serbia seeks cooperation and the process of accession of Serbia to the European Union is moving along nice. Hopefully Croatia's president will be there in Belgrade at the ceremony just as Serbia's president was in Zagreb the day they joined the EU. This is good for all. Enjoying the fact that Serbian minority rights will be respected in Croatia now under the rule of law. Thank you EU.

Hope to see Bosnia, Kosovo, and Albania in the EU too, sooner than later would be nice.

Aw, there’s my little hypocrite troll of Byzantine proportions, begging for more.

Here it comes.

For starts, cooperative Serbia and the B&H entity they claim (as one of last parts of Greater Serbian project still remotely possible in their delusional minds) will have to find a way to take this kind of their understanding of human rights into EU:

http://danas.net.hr/...ajke-srebrenice

Women of Srebrenica wanted to place flowers at two killing fields, commemorating the massacre. (Massacre of 8,000 Bosniaks, committed by Serbian paramilitary forces, better known as chetniks, who were directly supported, coordinated and supplied by JNA, former Yugoslavian army, controlled illegally by Serbian leadership.)

These women with flowers in their hands were stopped by Bosnian Serb police forces and wire fence.

Because this is how you keep human rights intact, this is how you cooperate with surviving neighbours whose husbands and sons you genocided? Apparently.

Women of Srebrenica could not be stopped, they cut the wire and pushed their way to the places where they placed flowers as they planned and announced.

Several unarmed women were injured and Hatidža Mehmedović was beaten by Serbian police.

Why they, unarmed women, were denied announced, peaceful entrance to the killing sites? Who authorized Bosnian Serb police to beat women who wanted to place flowers at the sites where their men were executed?

18 years after Serbrenica massacre, but only few days after judge Meron – the man whose rulings saved my sanity – overturned the shameful ICTY ruling according to which Karadžić was not guilty of genocide.

All Karadžić talked about was genocide, all his ghouls were doing was attempted genocide and now they get to stop their victims from placing flowers and on top of it all, lecture people on the Internet about human rights?

Princess, you better take that tiara off for a while, it apparently does funny things to the blood flow to your brain.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

By the way, the exhumations and identification of Srebrenica victims still goes on.

409 more identified bodies were given decent burial last Friday. The youngest was newborn baby of Muhić family, so newborn it wasn't named yet, the oldest Edhem Rahmanović, born in 1919. 44 were boys under 18 years of age.

Survivors – and each survival was an outright miracle – testify of men surrendering to Serbs only to receive a bullet in the head or have their throats cut.

More about human rights a la Serbs:

http://danas.net.hr/...publici-srpskoj

Nikola Lipovac, 74 years old, Bosnian Croat povratnik (refugee who returned home) murdered in his home near Brod in “Republika Srpska” (Serbian entity within Bosnia and Herzegovina).

He was found dead with stab wound in his neck made by a sharp object, probably a knife. His modest car was found burned in another village.

Entity police immediately concluded it was robbery. Surprisingly, with all that EU enthusiasm you’d expect they’d wish to get rid of throat-cutters from the 1990s. But noooo, they are just robbers accidentally cutting Croat throats.

Back to Europe.

In Trpinja, village in Croatia, 12 members of former “teritorijalna odbrana” (territorial defence – paramilitary, meaning chetniks) and “milicija” (police – loyal to Serbia, therefore on the wrong side of the border, meaning chetniks) were brought to justice. 3 more were charged, but for undisclosed reason they were not arrested. I guess they were on vacation in Serbia. Or on the island of Corfu (to jest Krf, za susjede).

http://www.index.hr/...lje/688647.aspx

They are suspects in murders of 12 civilians and 60 prisoners of war, including the wounded. They are also charged with other war crimes ranging from illegal arrests to rape.

All these years these people – still not proven guilty, but this is tiny land and everyone knows everything – were living in their homes, right next to the graves of their victims.

This is another form of Croatian help on neighbours' way to civilization. Should have happened years ago, but what can you do, politics is politics and "better late than never" as we say...

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

Do not be sad. Not gonna happen for a number of reasons, like what has kosovo to do with bosnia?

But the most stadfast reason is, as we pointed out earlier already, this is not 1992. Back then we did not have weapons, army, support. We did not have a strong diaspora, no influence in other governments, we were unknown. Today? Enough weapons and our own army to defend our children, mothers, country. Our diaspora is huge with many influental bosnians all over the world.

That is only a part of it. We managed to survive then without anything, we will keep what is ours whit what we have now. So, again, do not worry about bosnia, just stay out if it starts again.

• Like 1

By the way, the exhumations and identification of Srebrenica victims still goes on.

409 more identified bodies were given decent burial last Friday. The youngest was newborn baby of Muhić family, so newborn it wasn't named yet, the oldest Edhem Rahmanović, born in 1919. 44 were boys under 18 years of age.

Survivors – and each survival was an outright miracle – testify of men surrendering to Serbs only to receive a bullet in the head or have their throats cut.

Nikola Lipovac, 74 years old, Bosnian Croat povratnik (refugee who returned home) murdered in his home near Brod in “Republika Srpska” (Serbian entity within Bosnia and Herzegovina).

He was found dead with stab wound in his neck made by a sharp object, probably a knife. His modest car was found burned in another village.

Entity police immediately concluded it was robbery. Surprisingly, with all that EU enthusiasm you’d expect they’d wish to get rid of throat-cutters from the 1990s. But noooo, they are just robbers accidentally cutting Croat throats.

Back to Europe.

In Trpinja, village in Croatia, 12 members of former “teritorijalna odbrana” (territorial defence – paramilitary, meaning chetniks) and “milicija” (police – loyal to Serbia, therefore on the wrong side of the border, meaning chetniks) were brought to justice. 3 more were charged, but for undisclosed reason they were not arrested. I guess they were on vacation in Serbia. Or on the island of Corfu (to jest Krf, za susjede).

They are suspects in murders of 12 civilians and 60 prisoners of war, including the wounded. They are also charged with other war crimes ranging from illegal arrests to rape.

All these years these people – still not proven guilty, but this is tiny land and everyone knows everything – were living in their homes, right next to the graves of their victims.

This is another form of Croatian help on neighbours' way to civilization. Should have happened years ago, but what can you do, politics is politics and "better late than never" as we say...

I was looking at serbisn newspapers and they have not mentioned the anniversary, yet again.

But, we do have a lot support from serbs from belgrade, novi sad, from ordinary serbs who are now aware of the genocide their politicians and army have done.

The women in black, a womens organisation from belgrade is staging a vigil every year for the victims of bosnia. We all can live again like neighbours, friends. They are the prove. But serbia has to change their behaviour towards the neighboruring countries. If the dont, then, instead bosnia giving up lands to them, they will keep on loosing theirs, inch by inch.

I know still many serbs, educated, civilized, who want better for their family, country, but, if you still live in 1389, you will not succeed.

I still wish all the best upon croatia, bosnia and serbia. But one of them has to stop believing in their own lies. Hint, it is not croatia, it is not bosnia.

Back to Europe.

I was looking at serbisn newspapers and they have not mentioned the anniversary, yet again.

But, we do have a lot support from serbs from belgrade, novi sad, from ordinary serbs who are now aware of the genocide their politicians and army have done.

The women in black, a womens organisation from belgrade is staging a vigil every year for the victims of bosnia. We all can live again like neighbours, friends. They are the prove. But serbia has to change their behaviour towards the neighboruring countries. If the dont, then, instead bosnia giving up lands to them, they will keep on loosing theirs, inch by inch.

I know still many serbs, educated, civilized, who want better for their family, country, but, if you still live in 1389, you will not succeed.

I still wish all the best upon croatia, bosnia and serbia. But one of them has to stop believing in their own lies. Hint, it is not croatia, it is not bosnia.

• Like 1