Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Croatia becomes 28th EU member

Big Bad Voodoo

Here are the top ten nations that Britons are interested in moving to this summer and how they have changed since last summer. Croatia is absent from both lists.

Summer 2013 poll

US 31%

Australia 27%

Canada 24%

Spain 23%

New Zealand 18%

France 15%

Turkey 12%

Portugal 11%

United Arab Emirates 9%

Germany 8%

Summer 2012 poll

Spain 33%

Australia 29%

Canada 27%

France 22%

U.S. 19%

Portugal 14%

Turkey 13%

United Arab Emirates 12%

Germany 10%

Greece 9%

http://www.telegraph...and-France.html

And when it comes to Spain specifically, since it was already mentioned in this thread:

The Spanish government recently introduced reporting requirements meaning that anyone who lives in Spain for more than six months (183 days) per tax year and has overseas assets worth more than €50,000 - including bank accounts, property and investments - must declare them. Failures or delays in doing so will result in hefty fines and penalties.

The Foreign Office estimates that 800,000 British nationals live all or part of the year in Spain. Estimates on residency vary from 250,000 to 400,000. Anecdotal reports suggest a growing number are preparing to return home.

The countries that top the list of most popular locations, such as Canada and Australian, have largely escaped the worst effects of the global financial crisis. America, which is now the number one destination, has seen the prospects for its economy strengthen in the past year.

http://www.telegraph...and-France.html

Edited by The world needs you

:lol:

What do you think, neighbour, will they shoot Game of Thrones on Ada Ciganlija instead of in Dubrovnik, once the Engl... I mean, the act of god drags you to EU?

• Like 1

Helen small info,

Hygienic Society of Hvar, the first tourist society in Europe, it was established in year 1868 in order to promote tourism on Hvar under exceptional climatic conditions.

Opatija was officially declared the first climatic resort on the Adriatic by the Austrian government in 1889 year.

Veli and Mali Lošinj 1892 was granted the status of climate Spas and halfway through balneologist Dr. Conrad Clark.

Thalasotherapia Opatija, Special Hospital for Rehabilitation heart and lung diseases and rheumatism was founded in 1957.

Today Croatia,

Because of the proximity to large markets, natural beauty and favorable climate, the security of the country, long tradition, competitive prices and generally good reputation of health services, Croatia has comparative advantages for the development of health tourism.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Helen small info,

Hygienic Society of Hvar, the first tourist society in Europe, it was established in year 1868 in order to promote tourism on Hvar under exceptional climatic conditions.

Opatija was officially declared the first climatic resort on the Adriatic by the Austrian government in 1889 year.

Veli and Mali Lošinj 1892 was granted the status of climate Spas and halfway through balneologist Dr. Conrad Clark.

Thalasotherapia Opatija, Special Hospital for Rehabilitation heart and lung diseases and rheumatism was founded in 1957.

Today Croatia,

Because of the proximity to large markets, natural beauty and favorable climate, the security of the country, long tradition, competitive prices and generally good reputation of health services, Croatia has comparative advantages for the development of health tourism.

Big L, thats very nice view you are describing, but reality is a different song. All depends on how your politicians will handle opportunity. I hope, you have more sense than we...

Anyway, we'll meet you in U-19 finals (basketball, Prague), and we will crush you. :devil:

What do you think, neighbour, will they shoot Game of Thrones on Ada Ciganlija instead of in Dubrovnik, once the Engl... I mean, the act of god drags you to EU?

Ahm, aah, ada ciganlija is in belgrade so, no.

There are actualy quiet a few places in bosnia that could look very good in movies. Old castels near visoki, srebrenik, jajce. We just do not know how to market it.

They should fire your ignorant ass, pronto.

My ignorant ass? I'm talking from a position far from ignorance. I see it everyday. I can't wait until it all comes crashing down. Just so I can laugh at blinded *******s like you and say a big 'I told you so'.

• Like 1

stevewinn

For the most part its hard to disagree with anything your saying. But I feel your barking up the wrong tree pointing at Croatia. Look how far the countries come from the war. From my visit there I found them to be a proud, forward thinking and hardworking people with no interest in handouts, this isn't Romania or Bulgaria.. Oh and the women are stunning.

I have nothing against Croatia. if it was Serbia who was the newest member, or anyone else i'd be saying the same thing. it just happens to be Croatia in the spot light. i dont need to go over old ground, we all know how bad the economic situation is in the EU/Euro zone. mass unemployment, youth unemployment in Greece i believe the last figure i seen was 61% and Spain nearing 29%. economies in recession, month on month no growth, no forecast growth figures offering any light at the end of the tunnel. we have EU member governments making huge cuts to people lives and standards of living. its clear there is no more bailout money, the pot is empty. they are asking their people to accept cuts and reduce services and to pay more tax. so while people take the pain what does the EU do instead of consolidating the problems they are doing the opposite. they allow a new member country to join the EU, even though the economic situation is dire.

what the EU need in europe is growth and sadly Croatia offers none, the country as been in recession for more than five years, high levels of unemployment, high levels of corruption in government and local government, including business. they have a catastrophic problem with a falling population. in the west our economies are built on population growth in order to have economic growth. so Croatia is not going to offer any growth in the short or longer term. so the EU as just lumbered itself with yet more problems. and these problems are going to need funding. Croatia as had €90 million since 2008 in accession aid from the EU and other EU institutions. and this figure will increase now they are full members.

can no-one else see the problems? from economic, to social, to even the regional.

Edited by stevewinn

Big L, thats very nice view you are describing, but reality is a different song. All depends on how your politicians will handle opportunity. I hope, you have more sense than we...

Anyway, we'll meet you in U-19 finals (basketball, Prague), and we will crush you. :devil:

Don’t hope, we have no sense at all :lol: Seriously. We’re ****ed, I know that, but I’m still so glad we’re finally in the same crap with you and other likeable folks.

(I won’t comment on basketball because I have horrible feeling you might be right.)

Ahm, aah, ada ciganlija is in belgrade so, no.

There are actualy quiet a few places in bosnia that could look very good in movies. Old castels near visoki, srebrenik, jajce. We just do not know how to market it.

Bosnia is unbelievably picturesque. It’s an outright sin it wasn’t “discovered” yet. Wonderful sceneries, heavenly food, destructively good booze, historic sites and preserved nature to enjoy through whole year. At least skiing in Bosnia and religious tourism in Herzegovina (Keep your pants on, Islamophobes, I’m talking about Catholic Medjugorje) are bringing some income, but it should be immensely bigger.

I have nothing against Croatia. if it was Serbia who was the newest member, or anyone else i'd be saying the same thing. it just happens to be Croatia in the spot light. i dont need to go over old ground, we all know how bad the economic situation is in the EU/Euro zone. mass unemployment, youth unemployment in Greece i believe the last figure i seen was 61% and Spain nearing 29%. economies in recession, month on month no growth, no forecast growth figures offering any light at the end of the tunnel. we have EU member governments making huge cuts to people lives and standards of living. its clear there is no more bailout money, the pot is empty. they are asking their people to accept cuts and reduce services and to pay more tax. so while people take the pain what does the EU do instead of consolidating the problems they are doing the opposite. they allow a new member country to join the EU, even though the economic situation is dire.

what the EU need in europe is growth and sadly Croatia offers none, the country as been in recession for more than five years, high levels of unemployment, high levels of corruption in government and local government, including business. they have a catastrophic problem with a falling population. in the west our economies are built on population growth in order to have economic growth. so Croatia is not going to offer any growth in the short or longer term. so the EU as just lumbered itself with yet more problems. and these problems are going to need funding. Croatia as had €90 million since 2008 in accession aid from the EU and other EU institutions. and this figure will increase now they are full members.

can no-one else see the problems? from economic, to social, to even the regional.

Isle of Man, do you know what it’s famous for?

Would you be so kind to explain it to me, because I’m in danger to keep believing it’s the symbol of behaviour that is realistically devastating for both moral and economic situation in your country?

My land, considering her size, cannot have any significant impact on your society, in any way. Tax evading mindset of your own can and has huge impact on your society.

I’m not aiming at any particular political party of yours, I’m pointing out your society doesn’t need any Croatia to discover what dishonesty is. It’s up to you to decide if you’ll be realistic or keep frothing about a country whose state budget is smaller than pocket money your own politicians are laundering in their spare time. On your expense.

The population growth is very relative thing. Your population is not growing, it’s the minority population that is growing over there at your place.

It’s so commendable you’re not racist and you have absolutely no problem with your own culture disappearing.

I’m not that wonderful human being and though I don’t mind my nation will disappear in 100 years or so, I don’t think the nations that will breed all over our homeland will be our descendants. They will be descendants of their kin, not mine.

Feel free to faint with shock.

• Like 1

Before I Unfollow this post as I cant see it going anywhere,people are just going over the same ground using different words,i say for the size of Croatia their international football team is above average,well done you guys.

• Like 1

Most tragicly in this debate is that some Brits here (if I wasn right about false flag) talk things which is opposite of their ancestor David Ricardo theory which whole world have accepted.

Read what David Ricardo said about international trade. Tragic, It was before two centuries...

As i said i doubt that some members are Brittish.

Before I Unfollow this post as I cant see it going anywhere,people are just going over the same ground using different words,i say for the size of Croatia their international football team is above average,well done you guys.

Thanks. We are great sportsmen. Its something about our stubborness, I guess.

Old castels near visoki, srebrenik, jajce. We just do not know how to market it.

Bosnia as mountain country can be pearl country for energy production.

Btw I cant wait to see Jerusalem of Europe in Europe. Wait this sound...like paradox... :rofl: :tu:

• Like 1

Yes now its all how will we use investments and EU market.

Our golden age of Basketball is gone. sadly..When Kukoć, Rađa, Petrović played. But we have young hopes...

We will see about that "crush."

Better is a matter of opinion, your bias towards your own.....which is only to be expected,

I tend to think if your willing to travel around the world to support your nation then better or worse isn't a word I would use to describe any set of fans, as for 'firms'...that's so old school,

I like stories from guest games and world/euro cups. They are all funny and interesting.

I remember when we are in Korea Japan world cup...in particular story in Japan ...the most repeatable song which our fans sing was new compiled song.

It goes like this (in rythm): Kolko ste mali, jebote kolko ste mali kolko ste maaaaaali...jebote kolko ste mali.

On English: Darn how small you are, darn how small you are....darn how smaaaaaaaall you are, darn how small you are.

Ofcourse we wer alluding to Japanese. That all wouldnt be funny that Japanese didnt like rythm and sing with us every time drums start to play...What a show.

Edited by the L

I like stories from guest games and world/euro cups. They are all funny and interesting.

I remember when we are in Korea Japan world cup...in particular story in Japan ...the most repeatable song which our fans sing was new compiled song.

It goes like this (in rythm): Kolko ste mali, jebote kolko ste mali kolko ste maaaaaali...jebote kolko ste mali.

On English: Darn how small you are, darn how small you are....darn how smaaaaaaaall you are, darn how small you are.

Ofcourse we wer alluding to Japanese. That all wouldnt be funny that Japanese didnt like rythm and sing with us every time drums start to play...What a show.

*smacks you upside your head*

Kolko ste mali, jebote kolko ste mali kolko ste maaaaaali...jebote kolko ste mali :clap:

Know what, that applies to certain minds... perfect song for perfect occasion ;) (Just don't mention any willow trees :lol: for god's sake :lol:)

• Like 1

Kolko ste mali, jebote kolko ste mali kolko ste maaaaaali...jebote kolko ste mali :clap:

Know what, that applies to certain minds... perfect song for perfect occasion ;) (Just don't mention any willow trees :lol: for god's sake

LOL

I wont due my stance to that song and...because we would hurt Stevins feelings.

Know what, that applies to certain minds... perfect song for perfect occasion ;) (Just don't mention any willow trees :lol: for god's sake :lol:)

LOL

I wont due my stance to that song and...because we would hurt Stevins feelings.

I guess the use of F-word was not very nice of you.

I guess the use of F-word was not very nice of you.

Yes Jebote on Croatian means F word. But as I said numerous time some things you cant translate literaly.

But in contest it was used best although not perfect translation is "Darn"

As Japanese word Hai. In some contest that word means yes and in some dont.

Also you cant literally translate some specific words on some languages. As free trade on Russian.

Same in one village in Swiss on one sign it is written that it is banned to pick up flowers.

It is written on four languages. Any line from that sign translated to other language on that same sign doesnt make any sense.

So word Jebote in this contest describes feeling of surprise and astonishment how small they are, in common language.

It was on purpose used (I guess) to awake passion, of common Croats.

Same as many sayings from Croatia wouldnt make sense to Greeks.

Thats why when people want to study Indian language you dont study Indian language you study Indiology. You dont study Japanese language. You study Japanpology.

You must understand how they think to understand them. In order to understand message of sender to reciver without noise you must know MANY others thing beside particular language.

So this isnt big language barrier. Jebote is closest to Darn, I guess. I said big because problem is when in some language you have word for something which dont exist in other.

I think that French have most words which others languages dont have.

Even for certain feelings. So one can conclude that only French have some mysteric feelings. But when you understand their history, culture, customs and tradition you then understand them without noise. That why they say that French is richest language.(?)

Language is nothing more then symbolic system.

Edited by the L

Example.

Croatian: "Navući prehladu"

Littral translation: "Pull over cold"

That doesnt make sense right?

It isnt slang. Its our way of talking.

Or English idiom.

Its raining cats and dogs!

That doesnt make sense to Croats if you just use vocabulary. One would think that dogs and cats are falling. But I understand what they want to say because I try to understand other aspects of English beside vocabulary.Different languages reflect different views on world.

Or Greek 'to shake the horse-shoes'

I cant grasp what does it means unless I know Greeks way of thinking.

I hope this help.

Edited by the L

OK, ok, we get your point. But idiom or not, this page is supposed to be suitable for minors. That is the point I was making.

Most tragicly in this debate is that some Brits here (if I wasn right about false flag) talk things which is opposite of their ancestor David Ricardo theory which whole world have accepted.

Read what David Ricardo said about international trade. Tragic, It was before two centuries...

As i said i doubt that some members are Brittish.

The British might have more of a mistrust over the EU as a whole than for Croatia in particular but that mistrust is merely taking this form now.

The following article offers a wonderful explanation of why the British display an insular nature when it comes to the EU.

http://www.theglobalist.com/storyid.aspx?StoryId=9895

The irony here is that the UK out of all the EU countries is the one with a large contingent of citizens who want to break away from the EU. They too have fears over hegemony but in another form.

On a side note, nothing wrong with movies made in Serbia either and foreign film in general is more enjoyable than any Hollywood blockbuster, mindless popcorn flic. Here is me wishing all the Balkan countries, and Croatia and Slovenia too, future success when it comes to film, their own films!

Edited by The world needs you

OK, ok, we get your point. But idiom or not, this page is supposed to be suitable for minors. That is the point I was making.

I understand. But no F word is used. Its like Japanese word Hai.