Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheists meet God...

Jor-el

They put up with my playing. Just get them drunk, they like a good party.

• Like 1

Hmmm... if I were a atheist.. I would say

I knew you were a woman..

but as a pagan.. I would say

Told everyone you were a woman :D

• Like 2

They put up with my playing. Just get them drunk, they like a good party.

Excellent strategy!

That's fine. It's clear you don't believe in some religions that talk about a God. Why then must you believe the aspect of their religion when they tout 'God' as a perfect, holiest of good being?

Is that really obligatory?

I don't believe in any religion. You misinterpreted me. I don't believe in a certain aspect, I don't believe in 'god' or any deity for that matter but simply hope that if by the off chance there is an all powerful being guiding us. He is more enlightened than those who worship him. Whoever that being may be. But I myself don't believe we are being guided by an all powerful being, nor do I believe god created the earth and it's occupants.

Aliens that have been mistaken as gods....maybe :alien: but that's a whole other ball game.

Edited by krypter3
  • Like 1

I see god as an individual thing, he is who you want him to be. An imaginary force that give's you hope in a time of need, gives you courage when you go to war, or there's a bunch of them looking over you. The mind is a powerful thing and some people find comfort in believing that they are a part of a grander design. But then you get people who twist religion and turn it into a weapon. That's when things become outrageous, when people use religion as card to push their own agenda's.

• Like 2

Imagine if you will a hypothetical situation, (please don't argue the possibility or impossibility of such an encounter)....

After having lived a full and plentiful life as an atheist, you die, and much to your surprise, there is God waiting to for you... :santa:

He looks at you and asks.... What have you got to say for yourself?

How would you answer?

IF there is a God or Goddess for that matter then he/she must be omnipotent enough to realize that he/she created me to be a questioning and doubting person despite my efforts to the contrary. I think I would rather have some questions for such a being, like "if you wanted me to believe in you, and you know how difficult it is for me to accept things for which there is no evidence, then why didn't you provide some along the way for me?" Or perhaps "God, if you truly care about people in this world and are truly omnipotent, then why in your glorious power have you not settled the question of who/what is the true God of our world so that people can stop killing each other over it? Why do you allow death and destruction in your name when you could easily settle the question and save so much life?"

I think that I'd have a lot more questions for God than God would have for me.

• Like 2

I would ask, "Why did you allow so many false descriptions of yourself in all those 'Holy' books?"

• Like 1

One thing I find funny about most Atheists is that when comes the time in moments of distress the first thing they do reach for is 'God'

Oh God ... Let me get through this , I promise this, I promise that , I swear I won't this , I swear I'll be that ....

but when the critical moments pass they go back to their normal Atheistic selves as if nothing ever happened ... :lol:

`

suppose you hit your finger with a hammer real hard... i don't know about you, but i'd likely be shouting the f-word all over the place. Not because the pain makes me wanna have some sexytime, but because it's a kind of a hardwired reaction in my subconcious.

In my opinion, it's the same thing happening when people known as atheists suddenly "refer to god" in the situations you described.

that is rather a learned and automatized speech pattern than the sudden realization of the existence of a divinity of some form.

• Like 2

In my opinion, it's the same thing happening when people known as atheists suddenly "refer to god" in the situations you described.

that is rather a learned and automatized speech pattern than the sudden realization of the existence of a divinity of some form.

this. many atheists are raised in a culturally religious enviroment. i grew up where people mentioned god, whether swearing by, or at him. it's part of my vocabulary, even though i don't believe in god.

as for the question, well, going from the fact that you seem to be assuming that it's a singular, male god, i'd say i believed exactly what i felt was true, and if those beliefs would lead to eternal punishment, i'd accept it gladly. because a god that tortures people for eternity isn't a god that's worth worshipping.

• Like 1

Jor-el

Taking your hypothetical seriously (as well I might,since I am an agnostic, not an atheist):

"What does your question mean? What information does it seek from me? For example, and at the risk of sounding defensive, have I done something wrong, in your view?"

Yours is really the same question God asks in Genesis 3. In that case, Adam was a putz to throw The Woman under the bus. He also ought to have acknowledged fully his responsibility for his own choices and actions first, before saying anything else. Meh, he was frightened, and had nothing but a fig leaf between his treasure box and ... a more powerful being with a bottomless sense of personal entitlement (this is the no-hard-debate board).

Nevertheless, it was reasonable of Adam to explore the extent to which his accuser ought to share the blame for whatever problem the accuser had with the situation. If God wants beings with free will, limited information, and limited processing resources, then he needs to accept that he will be dissatisfied from time to time with some of the behavior such beings exhibit.

If you keep puppies in the house, then you pick up poop. Schoolchildren figure that out; what's God's problem exactly?

• Like 3

suppose you hit your finger with a hammer real hard... i don't know about you, but i'd likely be shouting the f-word all over the place. Not because the pain makes me wanna have some sexytime, but because it's a kind of a hardwired reaction in my subconcious.

Well from the perspective of the religious, a prayer is a prayer ... a call to God is a call to God ... sudden or not ... subconscious or not ...

you see where I'm coming from ? ;)

~

• Like 1

How would you answer?

Adam was a putz to throw The Woman under the bus.

I was struggling for a good answer to give Him, but that is brilliant.

"My wife made me do it!"

Perfect.

• Like 4

Well from the perspective of the religious, a prayer is a prayer ... a call to God is a call to God ... sudden or not ... subconscious or not ...

~

sure, got that....! ;) i was born into a moderate religious family, and my m&p used the expression "oh god" a lot whenever something bad happened. They never put their religion on me, they let me develop in my own way (in which i ended up becoming what would be best described as sceptic-agnostic), and yet i quite often use that expression myself.

A religious person now might argue that "my soul is not lost yet" and "god is still in me",

but to me it's just what i stated above: a picked-up figure of speech....

• Like 1

I was struggling for a good answer to give Him, but that is brilliant.

"My wife made me do it!"

Perfect.

I don't believe they were actually 'married' in the sense of the word ... not even a honeymoon ... Eve had reasons to be mad till today

;)

~

One thing I find funny about most Atheists is that when comes the time in moments of distress the first thing they do reach for is 'God'

Oh God ... Let me get through this , I promise this, I promise that , I swear I won't this , I swear I'll be that ....

but when the critical moments pass they go back to their normal Atheistic selves as if nothing ever happened ... :lol:

`

Why are you assuming they actually mean the biblical God? When I say "oh god" or "Jesus!" I'm not praying, I'm swearing. The idea that atheists revert to religion when under stress is an assumption that has no foundation.

What would be the point in asking God anything anyway? According to most Christianity, he's completely outside of our understanding, and would already know what it was I was going to say or ask. I wouldn't be able to understand him, and if the bible is anything to go by, I wouldn't want to know him either.

• Like 2

Why are you assuming they actually mean the biblical God? When I say "oh god" or "Jesus!" I'm not praying, I'm swearing. The idea that atheists revert to religion when under stress is an assumption that has no foundation.

What would be the point in asking God anything anyway? According to most Christianity, he's completely outside of our understanding, and would already know what it was I was going to say or ask. I wouldn't be able to understand him, and if the bible is anything to go by, I wouldn't want to know him either.

I wasn't referring to the biblical god or 'Him' specifically either .... not all 'atheists' shares your comprehension or definition of what constitutes an atheist ...

~

Its just an amusing observation ...

~

not all 'atheists' shares your comprehension or definition of what constitutes an atheist ...

I think its you that doesn't understand atheists.

• Like 1

I think its you that doesn't understand atheists.

Okie dokie ...

~

IF there is a God or Goddess for that matter then he/she must be omnipotent enough to realize that he/she created me to be a questioning and doubting person despite my efforts to the contrary. I think I would rather have some questions for such a being, like "if you wanted me to believe in you, and you know how difficult it is for me to accept things for which there is no evidence, then why didn't you provide some along the way for me?" Or perhaps "God, if you truly care about people in this world and are truly omnipotent, then why in your glorious power have you not settled the question of who/what is the true God of our world so that people can stop killing each other over it? Why do you allow death and destruction in your name when you could easily settle the question and save so much life?"

I think that I'd have a lot more questions for God than God would have for me.

Hi Fstop,

Have you ever been in a situation where your knowledge and attainments had become totally useless to get yourself out of that situation?

I believe Jesus/God wants us to get or achieve THE highest reality this world can offer...in order for us to appreciate His glory and mercy. Therefore, there has to be a reversal after we find that "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow." By the way, it doesn't matter how we achieve whatever it is we think is THAT highest reality (as long as we feel clean about getting it, as in clear conscience).

I'm basing this belief on my afterlife experience and the following Bible verses:

"Jesus heard that they had thrown him (the blind man) out, and when he found him, he said, 'Do you believe in the Son of Man?' The blind man asked, 'Who is he, sir? Tell me so that I may believe in him.' Jesus said, 'You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.' Then the man said, 'Lord, I believe,' and he worshiped him." John 9:35-38

"Jesus said to him, 'If you can believe, all things are possible to him that believes.'" MARK 9:23

"For God has given us a spirit, not of fear, but of power and love...and self-discipline." 2 TIMOTHY 1:17

"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us." 1 PETER 2:12

Peace.

The question itself is not probably very relevant. The point is, if one believes and lives by principles of morality, good will, and humility, he believes in God, even without knowing that. Having personal knowledge of existance of God doesn't automatically mean behaving in morally appropriate way. Fellen angels have personal experience with God, yet they chose to reject his character.

• Like 3

I just realised this guy twisted the Green Lantern oath to fit religion. Blasphemy.

You JUST realised? lol.

What evil lurks in the hearts of men?

God knows.

The god some of you people describe is no better than the worst dictators in human history. A man wou think's it's his right to have people bow to him. To kneel before him and give him their unconditional faith. If you don't give him love and respect, you will be condemned to a life of servitude in hell. He will also condemn Homosexuals and sinners. Let's not forget what sins are, Lust (wanting to be with the person you love, aka your wife. Even religious people have families.), Greed (wanting something), Pride (you are never proud of your family or accomplishments) need I go on?, Gluttony, Envy, Sloth, Wrath.

Those seven 'sins' as people call them are the foundation of the Human condition. You hate gays? Guess what sin that is....Wrath.

The so called seven sins that will condemn you to hell describe every single human being with a heart & brain and no matter how hard you want or try to deny it. You cannot deny that you are human and everyone feel's these fundamental feelings.

These "seven" deadly sins are emotions that Make us Human

If your so called "god" says I am going to go to hell because I don't believe in him, I support homosexuality and I feel every one of those emotions on a daily basis. How is that any different to a Dictator. That sounds awefully like Hitler to me. A man who wanted a pure race in his vision and condemned anyone who didn't worship him or fit his view of a perfect being to death camps.

I am Agnostic and a science person. I don't believe god made the earth in seven days but think there could be some higher plane of existence. If god is real, I would hope he is far more enlightened then his human worshippers make him out to be.

You have all the sins wrong in your understanding and that explains much.

Humans do not have to feel anger or greed or lust or envy. They do not have to be lazy. Even if they feel these primitive emotionall drivers, they do not ahve to act on them No one can say "he made me angry so I killed him" and get away with that We have to beablew to control and master our emotioal responses These are all choices.

In christian theology god just asks people to choose better more productive and creative emotions. Like love, honesty, trust, compassion, altruism/charity; and spiritual living rather than materialistic living.

Lust is not wanting to have sex with a person you love, it is a burning desire to gratify your own needs. You can lust after money or power as much as sex. Anger is a harmful and destructive emotion. It is better for us psychologically to forgive or to saty calm and self disciplined even tranquil in our thoughts. Envy is a part of materialism which detracts from the more important element of humanity; our human spirit.

The bible encousrages us to take pride in our accomplishments, but to remeber that they flow from gods' gifts to us; of our life and our natural talents.

But we are also told to use thise talents wisely and effectively There is nothing wrong with pride in work well done or the achievements of effort and discipline. Perhaps that should even be called something else, to distinguish it from false pride in things we did nothing to earn.

God does not threaten hell, he promises eternal life. Something not offered outside of religious belief We can always chose death in reality and in belief The reality of this is shown in the condition of humanity on earth today. Each of us is part alive and part dead. We can all chose to be so much more alive, and less dead, by thinking and acting in certain ways. Thinking with spiritual inteligence awakens a part of humanity which does not exist in a purely material mindset. It brings us more alive to the universe and to our own potential. We become what we have evolved the potential to become, as self aware sapient beings.

God is not a dictator. He does not compel or force. He is a parent and a teacher, who points out the differnt results from differnt choices, and then allows us to make those choices ourselves if you do not like the outcomes god points out then thats your business you do not havee to believ and if you do not believe then you cannot be trheatend by god.

But many people act like they do when confronted by warnings on cigarette packets. They blame the govt for pointing out the dangers of smoking and making them feel uncomfortable in smoking rather than getting the pleasure and satisfaction they want from smoking

They blame the govt for daring to make them feel guilty. If you want to go on smoking you can, but you have been warned. If you chose to disbelieve those health warnings you can. But again, you have no excuse for ignorance. If the govt failed to put those warnings on the packets they would be negligent in their duty of care.

Think of god's warnings in the same way. If he didnt point out the natural consequences of certain thoughts and behaviours he would be negligent in his duty of care, and clearly uncaring and unloving about humanity