Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it never too early to learn how to swim?

docyabut2

http://video.foxnews...id=940325739001

Thrust me,after losing a three year old consin in a pool 53 years ago that survival course in the best.I rembember after losing her I took my son to a that course at the YMCA. He was five but the course before our class was the babies, I rembember when the frist class was of learning the kids how to hold their breath ,those babies came out throwing up their formulas, I thought how awfu!,but at the end of the classes they let us watch as they threw those babies off the diving board and watching them swim to the side was truely amazing. Years later when I had my daughters I took them to another swiming class at the Y and all they did after five classes of ring around the rosy they never did learn how to swim, so in rembembering the survival course, I taught them myself. Never to early to learn these kids that course and how to swim with all the pools people have in the neighbor hoods.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

Thats amazing! Not like the parents are goign for a beer down the pub while the kid swims...... this is a good thing to teach young I feel

The soviets started it with new born babies. They do know how to hold their breath under water.

The soviets started it with new born babies. They do know how to hold their breath under water.

nirvana_nevermind_album_cover.jpg

I wish my parents had done this with me. I've always loved the water, but I was afraid of deep water my whole childhood because my mom passed on her fear to me ( almost drowned when she was a teen) I didn't learn to properly swim until I was a teenager and now I swim all the time.

Aussie neo-natals are taught how to not panic when in the pool, how to float etc.

I love how the fox host asks if they just throw the kid in the water. Yup just throw a baby in a pool and hope for the best lol

Edited by The Silver Thong

That was the old methiod, not babies but children. I assume mom and dad decided at what age.

I taught myself to swim. I am not a good swimmer tho. I also taught myself how slow dance, I should say the lady I was danceing with helped, woth out knowing it. I have stepped on a few toes.

This topic came up awhile back after i had just seen a special bit on TV about babies being instinctively able to cope with being in the water. 'They' tossed babies in water where they would instantly begin wriggling around until they righted themselves, face UP in the water, where they floated about seemingly right at home.

I agree, it's never too early to learn how to swim. I didn't learn how to swim until I was 7 years old when my father tossed me into the deep end of a pool and said 'Swim'. So I did. That's how I was taught.

This video has recently gone viral and shows that it's never too young to learn.

[media=]

[/media]

I'm continually amazed by the number of adults I encounter that can't swim - my Mother in Law is one of them.

The course is not just that simple of just throwing a baby in the water:) the frist classes are of dunking them many times to teach them how to hold their breath. Then you stand about four feet from the side and push the head down under the water and give a push after many times they learn to looked for the side when they come up and swim to the side.After many times doing that you go out to a farther distance and when they come up they learn to looked for the sides and swim.It was amazing to watch them dropped them off the diving board in deep middle water and watch them come up and looked for the sides and swim all the way there.

Edited by docyabut2

I'm continually amazed by the number of adults I encounter that can't swim - my Mother in Law is one of them.

Well you have to think how many people actual encounter large bodies of water (outside of a backyard swiming pool every now and then)

Many in large urban centres do not have the need to be on the water.

I grew up next to a lake. Hell I nearly drown when I was a year and a half old. But I learnt how to swim. Growing up in the Kawartha's we spent a lot of time on the water, mainly do to the large number of lakes around here. But how many people really do spend time on the water, or near the water? Swimming lessons are something every child should have but who knows how many actually get it.

That was the old methiod, not babies but children. I assume mom and dad decided at what age.

I taught myself to swim. I am not a good swimmer tho. I also taught myself how slow dance, I should say the lady I was danceing with helped, woth out knowing it. I have stepped on a few toes.

Yea thats how I learned. My uncle brought me out to this big rock everyone was jumping off of. He looked down at me and says, you know how to swim? Im like no. And he says' well ya better learn. And learn I did real quick.

Edited by preacherman76

Well you have to think how many people actual encounter large bodies of water (outside of a backyard swiming pool every now and then)

Many in large urban centres do not have the need to be on the water.

I grew up next to a lake. Hell I nearly drown when I was a year and a half old. But I learnt how to swim. Growing up in the Kawartha's we spent a lot of time on the water, mainly do to the large number of lakes around here. But how many people really do spend time on the water, or near the water? Swimming lessons are something every child should have but who knows how many actually get it.

Not, enough. One excuse has already been gven. But, I think these parents should be the first in line for the class. That way their kids would have a better chance of not repeating what the parent did. But, that should be the parents choose not anyone else.