Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. Postal Service Logging All Mail

questionmark

WASHINGTON — Leslie James Pickering noticed something odd in his mail last September: A handwritten card, apparently delivered by mistake, with instructions for postal workers to pay special attention to the letters and packages sent to his home.

“Show all mail to supv” — supervisor — “for copying prior to going out on the street,” read the card. It included Mr. Pickering’s name, address and the type of mail that needed to be monitored. The word “confidential” was highlighted in green.

“It was a bit of a shock to see it,” said Mr. Pickering, who owns a small bookstore in Buffalo. More than a decade ago, he was a spokesman for the Earth Liberation Front, a radical environmental group labeled eco-terrorists by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Postal officials subsequently confirmed they were indeed tracking Mr. Pickering’s mail but told him nothing else.

Read more

Good to know... if there is a log we don't have to certify the mail anymore :innocent:

Edited by questionmark

1. The USPS is not logging all mail if judging by the actual note found in Leslie James Pickering mail. (link)
  2. Only the outside of his mail was going to be monitored from 8/16 - 9/14/12.
  3. Leslie James Pickering was in the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) which is an international Eco-terrorist organization responsible for arson, sabotage, and other crimes. (link)
  4. The Mail Isolation Control and Tracking program helped catch recent Ricin suspect Shannon Guess Richardson who initially tried framing her husband for it.
  5. Scrutinizing the mail has been used to help catch drug dealers who use the mail, Medicare fraudsters, and even corrupt politicians.
  6. The contents of the mail itself is not read. Only the outside is read.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 2

1. The USPS is not logging all mail if judging by the actual note found in Leslie James Pickering mail. (link)
  2. Only the outside of his mail was going to be monitored from 8/16 - 9/14/12.
  3. Leslie James Pickering was in the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) which is an international Eco-terrorist organization responsible for arson, sabotage, and other crimes. (link)
  4. The Mail Isolation Control and Tracking program helped catch recent Ricin suspect Shannon Guess Richardson who initially tried framing her husband for it.
  5. Scrutinizing the mail has been used to help catch drug dealers who use the mail, Medicare fraudsters, and even corrupt politicians.
  6. The contents of the mail itself is not read. Only the outside is read.

And case closed I guess. I am happy that the mail still is confidential...

Hasn't anyone else ever called the post office to find out what happened when something didn't reach it's destination? How did you think they did this?

• Like 1

Hasn't anyone else ever called the post office to find out what happened when something didn't reach it's destination? How did you think they did this?

Depends on the mail class, some letters actually get lost without anybody ever finding them again, if it is certified it gets only passed from hand to hand with a signature (even among postal employees). If it is first class the container gets logged at every station... all other mail is put in a big sack without further control.

Depends on the mail class, some letters actually get lost without anybody ever finding them again, if it is certified it gets only passed from hand to hand with a signature (even among postal employees). If it is first class the container gets logged at every station... all other mail is put in a big sack without further control.

Last year I mailed a birthday card with a check in regular mail. After about a month I found out it hadn't been received so I called the post office. It took about a week for them to find it, but it was delivered and I got a card of apology from them. I don't know exactly how or where they found it but they did. I assumed they had been tracking mail for some time.

And who is watching them? Many a parcel has gone missing, I even know of whole a mail van going adrift when a new driver was taken on with out being fully checked out first.

but basically do agree with TWNY, if it will stop catch drug dealers etc, then fine. Parcels coming by plane are scanned, so why not some mail on land?

Last year I mailed a birthday card with a check in regular mail. After about a month I found out it hadn't been received so I called the post office. It took about a week for them to find it, but it was delivered and I got a card of apology from them. I don't know exactly how or where they found it but they did. I assumed they had been tracking mail for some time.

Or, as happens many times, a sack got forgotten and upon your request all corners of the exchange building/post office got checked... you got an apology, the rest just got their letters.

• Like 1