Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coca-Cola: labelling Ingredients

jugoso

Wasn´t really sure where to place this. Feel free to move to a more appropriate section if necessary :)

I recognize that companies have certain rights to not disclose their "secret ingredients". That being said, I picked up a can of coke (I live in Mexico) and looked at the list of ingredients. They are:

• carbonated water
  • sugars
  • coca-cola concentrate

I´m pretty sure that they used to include many of the other ingredients as well as the type(s) of sugar used. This just seems to be incredibly vague to me.

Just wondering if this is a "Mexico thing" or if it is the same in Northern or other countries. Thanks!

I dunno if it's just a Mexico thing. I know the U.S. ingredient list has more than that on it.

In Europe they are forced to show their principal ingredients, though not its amounts, according to a coke can it contains:

Water,

Sugar,

Carbonic acid

Food coloring E 150d (Sugar color)

Acidifier E 388 (Phosphoric acid)

Flavor agents

Aromatic caffeine

• Like 1

I dunno if it's just a Mexico thing. I know the U.S. ingredient list has more than that on it.

What do they list? Thanks!

What do they list? Thanks!

Carbonated water

high fructose corn syrup

caramel color

phosphoric acid

natural flavors

caffeine

Edit: Coke Zero has a different list of ingredients than regular Coke.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

Just drinking a can of coca cola now, here are the ingredients exactly as stated on tin:

carbonated water

sugar

colour (caramel E150d)

phosphoric acid

natural flavourings including caffeine

Oh and the can - metal.

So looks like it depends on where it is produced and what they can be bothered to put on it, or what they can get away with not putting on it.

• Like 1

Carbonated water

high fructose corn syrup

caramel color

phosphoric acid

natural flavors

caffeine

HUH! we just got sugar in ours, I WANT high fructose corn syrup!angry-emoticon-1.gif

• Like 2

HUH! we just got sugar in ours, I WANT high fructose corn syrup!angry-emoticon-1.gif

Not very legal in Europe due to the fattening properties (and therefore a health risk) of the stuff.

• Like 1

Not very legal in Europe due to the fattening properties (and therefore a health risk) of the stuff.

Oh yeah of course. Will have to stick with the healthier "sugar" option instead.

fat_bastard_001.gif

Oh yeah of course. Will have to stick with the healthier "sugar" option instead.

fat_bastard_001.gif

Think sugar on steroids, and you still fall short. (but the stuff sure is cheap when made out of corn).

Free, you come up with some of the cutest emotes.

HFCS sucks. I know of some folks that look for Coke in the ethnic aisle, usually Mexico Coke, because it has real sugar. It comes in smaller glass bottles instead of the bigger plastic ones normally found in the U.S..

Though this thread makes me kind of wonder if what is bottled and thought of as Mexico Coke here is actually the same stuff they sell in Mexico or not!

Free, you come up with some of the cutest emotes.

HFCS sucks. I know of some folks that look for Coke in the ethnic aisle, usually Mexico Coke, because it has real sugar. It comes in smaller glass bottles instead of the bigger plastic ones normally found in the U.S..

Though this thread makes me kind of wonder if what is bottled and thought of as Mexico Coke here is actually the same stuff they sell in Mexico or not!

That´s interesting! I just assumed that Mexico used HFCS but it seems that cane sugar is cheaper here so it makes sense that they would use it. And yes, it is nice that the smaller cokes come in glass bottles (although small plastic coke is available at a slightly higher price).

As an aside, I grew up in small town Ontario, Canada. Our claim to fame was that we had the only Hershey chocolate factory outside of Canada. I always wondered why and figured that it may have been because of trade tariffs or something like that. When I was back there a number of years ago, I asked a friend of mine who worked there why they maintained the plant. He explained to me that because of the US trade restrictions with Cuba, they couldn´t import their sugar. However, we could and so the main job of the factory was to import sugar from Cuba, use it to make HUGE slabs of chocolate, and then send it to Hershey Pennsylvania where it was processed into bars. The plant closed down about 5 years ago and moved to Monterrey, Mexico. The chocolate just doesn´t taste as good IMO.

Edited by jugoso

I'm having a Diet Coke Distributed in Australia the ingredients are;

Carbonated Water,

Flavour

Colour (Caramel) 150d

Food Acids (338, 330)

Sweeteners(951, 950)

Preservative (211)

Caffeine

Phenylalanine