Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Serial killers

ReaperS_ParadoX

Pretty much.

A lot of SM's often have a long period between the first and second kill. Then that period becomes less and less, very often the first one was never associated with him because of the time and isn't found out until he is caught and begins to start talking about his kills.

Ted Bundy comes to mind he really went rampant towards the end

Yeah, Ted seemed to be wanting to be executed, if that makes sense. He killed those nurses, then broke with his usual target group and went after a twelve(?) year old girl, was it? He really wanted to get the death penalty but he continued to play the role of the guy too smart to get caught or convicted.

Yeah, Ted seemed to be wanting to be executed, if that makes sense. He killed those nurses, then broke with his usual target group and went after a twelve(?) year old girl, was it? He really wanted to get the death penalty but he continued to play the role of the guy too smart to get caught or convicted.

Maybe he wasn't the super genius they made him out to be but he could certainly lay on the charm. The guy did convince the courts to let him "research his case," in a the courthouse library, no cuffs or irons. Hind sight is 20/20 but come on? Really? Then a few months later the guy escapes again and by crawling through the ceiling of his cell into the jailers apartment and walks out the front door like he owns the place. Made it all the way to Chicago that second time.

Yeah but you know he would of eventually started killing again if the cops had not caught him. Yeah that 12 year old he killed was way out of his MO, I can't remember if they said he molested her or not. I'm guessing he did though

Yeah but you know he would of eventually started killing again if the cops had not caught him. Yeah that 12 year old he killed was way out of his MO, I can't remember if they said he molested her or not. I'm guessing he did though

I can't recall either to be honest, however it was enough that he killed her. Sadly, you can't kill someone deader.

I can't recall either to be honest, however it was enough that he killed her. Sadly, you can't kill someone deader.

Well if he didn't kill her she would have identified him, I mean once you go down that route its pretty much you have to go all the way

True, once they commit to doing the deed there is no going back unless they want to get caught. There have been victims that have escaped or at least gotten away alive once taken by a serial murderer. Very often they were hookers and didn't want to go to the cops because of their past history. Let's face it, when a hooker comes up on the short end of a john she's not in a position to call 911. Unless she winds up in a hospital or something like that then odds are she's going to drink a big glass of **** and keep quiet about it. However, she will start telling her girlfriends who to watch out for and sometimes that gets back to the cops.

Hookers, at least street hookers, are the biggest group of people most at risk to a serial murderer. That's another reason cops don't always find an SM because he targets hookers. They disappear all the time due to the nature of their business, change names use fake ID's and change locations.

Yeah Joel Rifkin killed 17 prostitutes, Lorenzo Gilyard killed 13, the big one Robert Pickton killed 49 women and fed them to his pigs. Most of Pickton's victims where prostitutes. There the easiest prey they'll willingly get into your car and its just easy for serial killers to prey on them. Has anybody ever seen this show called Criminal Minds, they hunt down serial killers and I actually think its quit accurate the way they go about it. Meaning that they do the things actual FBI agents do in real life

Edited by ReaperS_ParadoX

I study psychology at university and I'm using serial killers as the main focus for my dissertation. In particular im looking at the ways in which female and male killers are portrayed in the media and comparing them.

It's very different when looking at female killers, a lot seem to get sympathy, accused of suffering from mental illnesses, or being influenced by a male or even driven to murder because of a male. The media also seems to focus alot on women serial killers personal life, and their appearance which is interesting as surely appearance isn't that important in my eyes.

In terms of are they emotionless?? of course not. I don't believe anyone can be totally emotionless, humans are defined by their emotions and emotions play an important role in our personality and outcome into adulthood. I do believe though that with serial killers there's a trigger which can alter emotion. Some could have suffered a bad childhood, they may have been abused and or suffered separation anxiety as they had no connection to a nurturing figure. Some killers may have been brainwashed into it by fear or love (myra hindley was obsessed with Ian Bradey).

It's hard to define what as a whole can determine a serial killer, but it does seem they become almost addicted to killing, some even feel god like, invincible and think that they will never be caught.

I agree that the whole topic of serial killers is so fascinating! :yes:

I study psychology at university and I'm using serial killers as the main focus for my dissertation. In particular im looking at the ways in which female and male killers are portrayed in the media and comparing them.

It's very different when looking at female killers, a lot seem to get sympathy, accused of suffering from mental illnesses, or being influenced by a male or even driven to murder because of a male. The media also seems to focus alot on women serial killers personal life, and their appearance which is interesting as surely appearance isn't that important in my eyes.

In terms of are they emotionless?? of course not. I don't believe anyone can be totally emotionless, humans are defined by their emotions and emotions play an important role in our personality and outcome into adulthood. I do believe though that with serial killers there's a trigger which can alter emotion. Some could have suffered a bad childhood, they may have been abused and or suffered separation anxiety as they had no connection to a nurturing figure. Some killers may have been brainwashed into it by fear or love (myra hindley was obsessed with Ian Bradey).

It's hard to define what as a whole can determine a serial killer, but it does seem they become almost addicted to killing, some even feel god like, invincible and think that they will never be caught.

I agree that the whole topic of serial killers is so fascinating! :yes:

They lack empathy, empathy comes from feelings and feelings come from emotions. I agree that there not totally emotionless, but they lack empathy for there victims. So as far as that emotion goes it's a dead emotion they don't feel. Sociopathic killers treat there victims like there not human, they degrade them, beat them, and basically use them as playthings. I once read that this serial killer felt like god when he saw the life leave there eyes when he choked them to death. Iv been interested in serial killers since I turned 16 I'm now 26 lol. If like to see that paper if your willing to show it when your done. I think what creates serial killers is a combination of things. There childhood, whether or not they were beat as children, molested, ignored, it's a combination of things that all come together. It's funny you said that female and male serial killers are looked at totally different, I know there was of course Aileen Wuernos who said that she was raped and always objectified by men. So that's why she killed, I'm sure there's far more to it but I think she liked killing, all serial killers like killing. It' also doesn't really matter there backgrounds in my opinion, sure it may be interesting to research and it helps psychologist better identify them. But the point I'm trying to make is that they killed many people, and in the end it always resorts to the same ending, them getting the death penalty or life in prison

Edited by ReaperS_ParadoX