Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you like your work?

pantodragon

As for the welfare, you're welcome.

Did you start this thread just to be a jerk? It appears to be the case.

As for the welfare, you're welcome.

Did you start this thread just to be a jerk? It appears to be the case.

The only thing that keeps us from interacting meaningfully with others is ourselves, our own attitudes, opinions, beliefs, etc. I suppose it's really easy to blames circumstances or others for our own shortcomings, I've done that myself upon occasion. The opportunity to communicate at an honest and intimate level is always there, under any circumstances, whether we choose to avail ourselves of that opportunity is another matter. But to blame our failures on external forces is to give away our own personal power. As adults we are responsible for our actions and inactions, for the choices we make. Some choices are hard, sure, but it doesn't mean that we should avoid making them. Panto, employment doesn't hinder you, you yourself do. There's no shame in making easier choices, but recognize it is a choice, and not something imposed upon us by some coercive, external, un-named forces. That's the philosophical equivalent of saying "the devil made me do it."

Edited by Beany
  • Like 1

The only thing that keeps us from interacting meaningfully with others is ourselves, our own attitudes, opinions, beliefs, etc. I suppose it's really easy to blames circumstances or others for our own shortcomings, I've .............................................................. Panto, employment doesn't hinder you, you yourself do. There's no shame in making easier choices, but recognize it is a choice, and not something imposed upon us by some coercive, external, un-named forces. That's the philosophical equivalent of saying "the devil made me do it."

You were born deaf, dumb and blind and you are making a virtue out of it. I can show you how to see and hear and how to express yourself but you remain wilfully, virtuously confined to your prison and further, you try reduce others to your level. No matter how often you berate me, you will not persuade me to join you in your incarceration, in your coffin. It sounds so good when people talk of "making choices", of "taking responsibility for oneself" of "not blaming others" but actually, that is the talk of the defeated, of those who collude with the abusers. The fact is that we DO live in a sick world where all sorts of evils are imposed upon the unwary or the ignorant and a world which is increasingly enfeebled, increasingly muzzled and which makes a virtue of its condition. Blame others for my difficulties? I point the finger and am not afraid to point the finger and am PROUD to be ABLE to point the finger. I will not roll over and die. I will spit in the eye of anyone who tries to oppress me and more, I will expose the oppressor for what he is. I will not turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to abuse and I will not remain dumb in the face of abuse.

You were born deaf, dumb and blind and you are making a virtue out of it. I can show you how to see and hear and how to express yourself but you remain wilfully, virtuously confined to your prison and further, you try reduce others to your level. No matter how often you berate me, you will not persuade me to join you in your incarceration, in your coffin. It sounds so good when people talk of "making choices", of "taking responsibility for oneself" of "not blaming others" but actually, that is the talk of the defeated, of those who collude with the abusers. The fact is that we DO live in a sick world where all sorts of evils are imposed upon the unwary or the ignorant and a world which is increasingly enfeebled, increasingly muzzled and which makes a virtue of its condition. Blame others for my difficulties? I point the finger and am not afraid to point the finger and am PROUD to be ABLE to point the finger. I will not roll over and die. I will spit in the eye of anyone who tries to oppress me and more, I will expose the oppressor for what he is. I will not turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to abuse and I will not remain dumb in the face of abuse.

Why, thank you for the honor, Panto, of your insults, as it indicates you did take in my words. I think you have a higher opinion of me than I deserve, though, because I don't think my powers of persuasion or influence are nearly as strong as your response indicates. Wilfull? Yes. My will, not yours. Wishy-washy? I think not. My response about taking responsibility specifically addressed the ability to form intimate relationships/friendships with people. Within those narrow parameters, I think my statement holds true, it's a choice. Outside those parameters, maybe not. I can't imagine that anyone or any circumstance would arise that could coerce you into doing something against your will.

Edited by Beany

I can't imagine that anyone or any circumstance would arise that could coerce you into doing something against your will.

So says somebody who is deaf, dumb and blind. And do you believe that rape victims have sex because they want it? Did you really never discipline your own children --- make them go to bed without supper because they misbehaved?

At the simplest level, there are drugs that will do it. In this life, it is a truism that: one does what one has to do so that one can do what one wants to do. Or, to quote Louis Ferdinand Celine: The truth of this world is to lie; you must choose either lying or dying; personally, I have never been able to kill myself.

I never wanted to do my homework as a child, but I had to so I did. You may say the choice uiltimately was mine, but Hobson's Choice is no choice at all.

Also, I live in a democracy. So I have to obey the will of the majority, even when it is at odds with my own --- life is just full of compromise.

Appropriate expression would be: a choice between a rock and a hard place; a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Show me a person who believes that they never get coerced into doing anything against their will, and I'll show you a marionette.

So says somebody who is deaf, dumb and blind. And do you believe that rape victims have sex because they want it? Did you really never discipline your own children --- make them go to bed without supper because they misbehaved?

At the simplest level, there are drugs that will do it. In this life, it is a truism that: one does what one has to do so that one can do what one wants to do. Or, to quote Louis Ferdinand Celine: The truth of this world is to lie; you must choose either lying or dying; personally, I have never been able to kill myself.

I never wanted to do my homework as a child, but I had to so I did. You may say the choice uiltimately was mine, but Hobson's Choice is no choice at all.

Also, I live in a democracy. So I have to obey the will of the majority, even when it is at odds with my own --- life is just full of compromise.

Appropriate expression would be: a choice between a rock and a hard place; a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Show me a person who believes that they never get coerced into doing anything against their will, and I'll show you a marionette.

I just really have a hard time imagining any force preventing you from forming personal/intimate relationships if that's what you wanted to do, and what this force might be. Perhaps I have hit the limits of my imagination with this one.

I just really have a hard time imagining any force preventing you from forming personal/intimate relationships if that's what you wanted to do, and what this force might be. Perhaps I have hit the limits of my imagination with this one.

How about a body covered in warts? Really bad, I mean seriously bad, breath? Being called Adolf Hitler? Or Idi Amin, Pol Pot? Being called Hannibal Lecter? Suffering from the disease of elephant man? Severe autism? Someone being in a persistant vegetable state --- and I could name a few?!! Imagination knows no limits.......Personally, I find extremely large noses an impediment. And I have a phobia about smelly feet that might be a real impediment to intimacy.

• Like 1

How about a body covered in warts? Really bad, I mean seriously bad, breath? Being called Adolf Hitler? Or Idi Amin, Pol Pot? Being called Hannibal Lecter? Suffering from the disease of elephant man? Severe autism? Someone being in a persistant vegetable state --- and I could name a few?!! Imagination knows no limits.......Personally, I find extremely large noses an impediment. And I have a phobia about smelly feet that might be a real impediment to intimacy.

Huh?