Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wedding Gift Amount Deemed Insufficient

rashore

Wow, talk about bad manners! On Friday, we received a truly horrifying email from one of our readers that would make etiquette guru Emily Post turn in her grave. The reader, Tanya, told us about a recent Facebook message she received from a bride after attending her wedding last month. In the message, the bride expressed her dissatisfaction with the $100 wedding gift she received from Tanya and her date. You can read the message for yourself below, but we must warn you: Your blood WILL boil.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/wedding-gift_n_3535780.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Yeah, I know, it's the Huff... But yeah, it made my blood boil.

I'm a newlywed- we chose to have a potluck wedding in our yard, because that's what we wanted and that's what we could afford. We didn't want gifts, quite specifically said so in our invitations. We wanted people to come and celebrate, bring a dish to share and just be happy that we were happy. We had an excellent turnout full of wonderful brew, food, and happy people.

Unfortunately for a lot of people, it seems like it's all about the wedding- regardless on if you can afford it or not. Now, I totally understand wanting a dream wedding. But I don't understand how a couple wants to start out their marriage in hock, spending stupid amounts of money just for one party. I extra can't understand how anyone can criticize a guest for not giving a good enough gift. Any gift is a good gift, and the best gift they give is being there to celebrate your union. It's not the guests fault if you want to spend money you can't afford on the wedding, it's yours.

• Like 3

Well, guess I would not go to her next wedding...

• Like 3

oh wow snotty people eh

• Like 2

Yeah, some people are wedding crazy. It's just one day, what are you going to do with your marriage? As in the rest of your life you are promising to do on that one day.

• Like 2

It's sad how big a role we play in greed's life.

• Like 1

I think setting a minimum gift amount is a good idea..............................NOT!!! :w00t::td: Who are these people?

I'll have to hit H up with that idea for our next anniversary, though ;) ...lol. He'd be like "Right back atcha baby! My gift needs to take up x amount of garage space!

I'm a newlywed- we chose to have a potluck wedding in our yard, because that's what we wanted and that's what we could afford. We didn't want gifts, quite specifically said so in our invitations. We wanted people to come and celebrate, bring a dish to share and just be happy that we were happy. We had an excellent turnout full of wonderful brew, food, and happy people.

*snip*

Though not for every bride, it sounds like the perfect intimate, fun and friendly wedding to me!

We did use a wedding venue for ours. While it was in my hometown, my mom and I and H and his family all lived hundreds of miles away. So we chose a wedding banquet hall type place.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't understand people like that at all. :no:

Me and my husband, had a small wedding, with our family and friends, I made all the decorations (I'm rather crafty) and my sister in law, and my husband's grandmother made the cake.....I think, in all we only spent, $1,000 on our wedding...No debt, and my parent's didn't pay for it, nor did his, me and my husband both paid for it. I didn't ask for gifts, just wanted people to show up and share our day with us. We all had a lot of fun...And got drunk.... :yes:

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't understand people like that at all. :no:

Me and my husband, had a small wedding, with our family and friends, I made all the decorations (I'm rather crafty) and my sister in law, and my husband's grandmother made the cake.....I think, in all we only spent, $1,000 on our wedding...No debt, and my parent's didn't pay for it, nor did his, me and my husband both paid for it. I didn't ask for gifts, just wanted people to show up and share our day with us. We all had a lot of fun...And got drunk.... :yes:

Sounds like ours, but we had about 200 people the first day and it ended up lasting four days for the 30 or so diehard retirees who wouldn't let us leave. It was at a boating club we belong to, we had a beer truck with six kegs and a bunch of us spent the nights on our boats.

Sailing off into the sunset for our honeymoon wasn't in the cards. :w00t:

• Like 1

Glad to know I'm not the only, erm, non-bridezilla out there. And really, after you say I do, you aren't a bridezilla anymore, you are a nasty and other language filterable woman that so happens to be married.

Still irking the hell out of me that any bride would complain about any guest gift. Most gold diggers marry for the money of the spouse, not for the money of the guests.

• Like 2

i think to many people let there weddings go to their heads, its not about who gives you the best gifts its about you and your fiance staring into eachothers eyes giving eachother to them selves! not money

• Like 4

I would have messaged her back saying we were keeping the remainder of the money for the 'divorce' party. :yes:

• Like 5

I would have messaged her back saying we were keeping the remainder of the money for the 'divorce' party. :yes:

lol right on!

Moron. I hope I never have any friends like that. =/ If so then I'm ditching them.

it is rude i would have replied, a hundred bucks was fair enough in our minds for how terrible the food was and how under dressed you were, i f-ing hate arrogant people gah makes me sick