Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what is america

danielost

America is the result of thirteen colonies winning their freedom from england during the revalution.

The new thirteen nations know that they had to work together other wise england and other nations would just reobsorb them.

It took them twelve years to come up with our consttution. Out lining what the federal governments relationship is with the states. It took them another year to come up with the bill of rights, the first ten amendments.

They made it hard for any law to be passed and even harder to make amendments to the constitution. They didn't want the people t be burden with tons of laws. Which we re today.

Starting in the sixties the federal government passed laws forceing us to assiate with people we didn't want. The out come of that as murder and the recreation of the kkk and the black panthers. The other result was several people got power over the people of different groups. People like jesse jackson and al sharpton.

In my fifty years I hae seen the government taking more and more power from the people. The result, an attack on the bill of rights. Not, just government but special interest groups.

When I went to school we said the pledge, no prayer. The seventies and early eighties. When we had that so called oil mproblem in the eighties, I was laughing because I knewat the time that we had capped nineout of ten oil wells. I am no longer laughing.

During the nineties we were being punished for have a great economy. In 2001 we were attacked. That was when the government made its biggest power grab. Funny, they called it the patriot act. This gave the government the arrest anyone without a reason and hold them forever.

The courts during the fifty years started to dis honor our troops by removing cross monuments because someone didn't like the cross. I don't use the cross myself. I just wonder if these people know about all the christians who died in wars, to give them the right fo them to dis-honor those troops.

Obama pushes through the second largest power grab in our history. We call it obama care. The supreme court oks the power grab. Saying the federal government has the right to force us to buy something we don't want.

All of this power grab and we do nothing. In fact we cheer bas our rights disappear. Saying take that right if it will potect us.

The city of new york is doing an uconstitutional search of people in new york, called stop and frisk and people like bill o'reilly thinks it is a good thing.

WE NEED TO STAND UP AND DEMAND OUR RIGHTS BACK.

Have a good fourth and start the campainge on the fifth.

• Like 2

Oh dear, well look on the bright side, Cameron could be your prime minister today if you were still under British rule....trust me! count yourself lucky you got out of that one in time!

• Like 4

If we were still under british rule. Hitler would have won ww2. Because we wouldn't have had the strenght to defeat mhim.

Starting in the sixties the federal government passed laws forceing us to assiate with people we didn't want.

I've always suspected you were a closet racist. That kind of thinking went out of style some time ago.

• Like 4

Starting in the sixties the federal government passed laws forceing us to assiate with people we didn't want. The out come of that as murder and the recreation of the kkk and the black panthers. The other result was several people got power over the people of different groups. People like jesse jackson and al sharpton.

Can you clarify your thoughts here. Your mention of Jackson and Sharpton suggests you're talking of black people. Now, history's not my strong point but I have to pick you up on a couple of things here.

For now, I'll ignore your apparent virulent racism. You say "passed laws forceing us to assiate with people we didn't want". These are Americans you're talking about here. And their ancestors were reluctant immigrants (to say the least). I'm sure they would rather have stayed where they were. So how can you possibly justify calling them "people we didn't want"? If anything, they were forced to associate with you - not the other way round.

• Like 7

I think overall in the last generation or so the States have become more free, not less. Women have more opportunity, as do linguistic and racial minorities and of course gays. Divorce laws have become less restrictive, as have laws regarding gambling and alcohol and various other "sins" It is even possible to have your business open on Sundays in most areas if you want.

Certainly the press, and especially the movie industry, has been tremendously liberated with the lifting of all the censorship, allowing them to portray the world as it really is. Academic freedom is also far more a reality than before.

There are some areas where freedom has been diminishing, mainly because of the interest of selfish corporate interest. The most noticeable has been the massive expansion of laws protecting what are called "intellectual property," having the effect of enabling corporations to prevent films and books from even being available except at times when they can maximize their profit, and with copyrights extending for ridiculously long periods of time.

Another area where freedom has diminished has been the rise of the threat of lawsuits over even minor injuries and the development of outrageous judgments, so that a lot of products and services that might otherwise be available have disappeared from the market because of perceived or minor dangers. The old maxim of caveat emptor seems to have been forgotten.

The two political parties seem to have gotten such a stranglehold on political power and the legal profession within them has become so dominant that it is not almost impossible for any private citizen without tons and tons of money to launch a credible bid for public office. Also the parties are now such that in any reasonably close election the actual winner can be upset by the party that controls the voting apparatus.

• Like 1

Starting in the sixties the federal government passed laws forceing us to assiate with people we didn't want.

If that is meant the way it sounds, it is a shameful and disgusting thing to say.

• Like 4

America was an experiment in human freedom. America still is the freest place on the planet in many ways but it is succumbing to rot and ignorance from within and being strangled by economic pressures by external threats. Vilified by many and coveted by more, it is the greatest example of what free people can accomplish when working together to create OR destroy... It is also an example of how human weakness eventually tears down all that ingenuity and hard work can build.

• Like 1

I've always suspected you were a closet racist. That kind of thinking went out of style some time ago.

You don't know what your talking about. But that is nothing knew. I have made myself clear on my feelings of gays. What makes you think I would hide being a racest.

• Like 1

I don't think the States have ever been the "freest" place on earth Iceland and the Dutch Republic and Switzerland have always been freer. Nowadays most countries are significantly freer -- the US is bogged in legal cobwebs and procedures and keeps far more people in its jails than almost any other country. This business about American freedom is something drummed into little kids heads and people seem to just want to believe it in spite of the abundant evidence otherwise.

Nor is "freedom" by itself such a good thing. Yes none of us want to be slaves, but we must have laws. A balance between intelligent laws and freedom is optimal. Further, the state acting to re-balance wealth somewhat and to generally improve living standards and quality are all good things, and sometimes involve infringing freedoms -- such as the freedom of merchants to gouge their customers when they have a monopolistic situation.

You don't know what your talking about. But that is nothing knew. I have made myself clear on my feelings of gays. What makes you think I would hide being a racest.

To be honest you really do come across as a racist, and denying it achieves nothing.
  • Like 1

If that is meant the way it sounds, it is a shameful and disgusting thing to say.

All I am saying in that statement is many people died because the government had to force people together. Don't tell me you have never watched those movies. Where they bus white students to an all black school or black students to an all white school. Both ended in violence.

The samething may happen with your gay bodies. I won't be part of it.

I don't think the States have ever been the "freest" place on earth Iceland and the Dutch Republic and Switzerland have always been freer. Nowadays most countries are significantly freer -- the US is bogged in legal cobwebs and procedures and keeps far more people in its jails than almost any other country. This business about American freedom is something drummed into little kids heads and people seem to just want to believe it in spite of the abundant evidence otherwise.

Nor is "freedom" by itself such a good thing. Yes none of us want to be slaves, but we must have laws. A balance between intelligent laws and freedom is optimal. Further, the state acting to re-balance wealth somewhat and to generally improve living standards and quality are all good things, and sometimes involve infringing freedoms -- such as the freedom of merchants to gouge their customers when they have a monopolistic situation.

Whats your definition of freedom?

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

All I am saying in that statement is many people died because the government had to force people together. Don't tell me you have never watched those movies. Where they bus white students to an all black school or black students to an all white school. Both ended in violence.

The samething may happen with your gay bodies. I won't be part of it.

Wow....just...wow.

You are a backward and disgusting person. I truly hope that your America never exists.

• Like 3

Freedom is the ability to do what you want when you want where you want. There are physical limits on freedom, such as gravity; there are cultural limits, such as the incest taboo, there are personal limits, such as one's conscience, and there are legal limits, such as a red light.

• Like 1

Freedom is the ability to do what you want when you want where you want. There are physical limits on freedom, such as gravity; there are cultural limits, such as the incest taboo, there are personal limits, such as one's conscience, and there are legal limits, such as a red light.

Do you own yourself?

Do I own myself. Yes, I guess I do, so long as "ownership" is understood as not something magical but a legal fiction that carries both rights and obligations as described in the appropriate statutes.

Do I own myself. Yes, I guess I do, so long as "ownership" is understood as not something magical but a legal fiction that carries both rights and obligations as described in the appropriate statutes.

Where do you get rights? Who gives them to you?

• Like 2

Can you clarify your thoughts here. Your mention of Jackson and Sharpton suggests you're talking of black people. Now, history's not my strong point but I have to pick you up on a couple of things here.

For now, I'll ignore your apparent virulent racism. You say "passed laws forceing us to assiate with people we didn't want". These are Americans you're talking about here. And their ancestors were reluctant immigrants (to say the least). I'm sure they would rather have stayed where they were. So how can you possibly justify calling them "people we didn't want"? If anything, they were forced to associate with you - not the other way round.

I agree but their were/are many who don't.

Ah -- you are getting into philosophical philosophy and "Natural Rights." I don't buy it. We get rights through law and law comes into existence through duly constituted institutions we call government.

Even if natural rights exist as some sort of mystical substance we inherit at birth, the US has been one of the poorer countries at maintaining them, given slavery and the Natives and the present huge jail population.

Where do you get rights? Who gives them to you?

He gets his rights from he same place you get yours, from the government. In the usa it is supposed to be the other way round.

• Like 1

He gets his rights from he same place you get yours, from the government. In the usa it is supposed to be the other way round.

yes... through the use of gov force and coercion. A total contradiction of liberty.

yes... through the use of gov force and coercion. A total contradiction of liberty.

What is liberty?

• Like 1