Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vatican to make John Paul II a saint

Still Waters

The Vatican says Pope John Paul II is to become a saint.

Pope Francis cleared the way for his canonisation, expected later this year, after a second miracle was attributed to the late pontiff's intervention.

The Polish-born pope led the Roman Catholic Church from 1978 until his death in 2005.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23198312

• Like 2

The Vatican says Pope John Paul II is to become a saint.

Pope Francis cleared the way for his canonisation, expected later this year, after a second miracle was attributed to the late pontiff's intervention.

The Polish-born pope led the Roman Catholic Church from 1978 until his death in 2005.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23198312

A new Polish Saint! Yeah! :clap: :clap:

I'm glad to see them doing this. I read a biography of his, a couple of years ago. An amazing man....

• Like 4

:rofl: I think it is going to raise one first class stink, but if that is really what they want to do. I don't think much good is going to come of it for them.
  • Like 1

Miracles, and we are expected to take this seriously?. Imaginary friends, conjuring tricks, canibalism and miracles. The only miracle is that some still fall for this hogwash.

• Like 1

Oh Lord, now the bashing of the Catholics starts.....

:no:

• Like 2

Oh goodness yes, those who are not educated in the church/faith will bash the life out of it.. Ignorance is bliss..But you have to think about it, Christians are their own worst enemy..What I mean is, look at Christianity, it has split more times than Liz Taylor has had marriages and then some... All of them with their own disagreements, all making their own churches / branches ...It became a mess.. It doesn't make sense, the spite and the bashing, it goes against all of Christs teachings...

I went to an all girls catholic school, and not once were we taught to hate other Christians, nor were we fed spiteful propaganda about other churches.. All we were taught was, Jesus was lord and he is your way to heaven ..He offered himself over, we should be thankful..All that and more.. But never anything spiteful about other Christians..

I only ever saw the likes of that from some protestant followers, but thankfully not all protestant followers, I know quite a few that are far more intelligent and hold more of an understanding of the faith...The intelligent Christians will not kick up any lame spite against another church, spreading propaganda about the church..In my view, those that do, are not fully educated on what the church is and why they do what they do....I guess that's what it is like to carry a chip on ones shoulder....

I don't follow Christianity any more, haven't done for a quite a while, but my children are Protestant Christians as is my hubby and the rest of my family..( My mother is a born again Christian with my brother ) So I do have that bit of respect left, I will defend them if I can...

As for miracles, well I don't know, but if people claim they have received a miracle or two, from their holy spirit, served through John Paul, then hey, let them believe it.. It's not going to wreck my day lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

LOL don't worry about it. The faith will endure and the Eucharist is the central aspect of our faith. The recieving of the body, blood soul and divinity of Jesus Christ under the form of bread and wine. A thousand years from now, it will still be true, for the church will endure because of Jesus Christ. Everyone gets it ;-). John Paul the second was a great man and a saint, I am glad like you that he is being honored in this way. Let others think what they will....we all after all have our ideas about things.

Peace

Mark

• Like 2

Oh goodness yes, those who are not educated in the church/faith will bash the life out of it.. Ignorance is bliss..But you have to think about it, Christians are their own worst enemy..What I mean is, look at Christianity, it has split more times than Liz Taylor has had marriages and then some... All of them with their own disagreements, all making their own churches / branches ...It became a mess.. It doesn't make sense, the spite and the bashing, it goes against all of Christs teachings...

I went to an all girls catholic school, and not once were we taught to hate other Christians, nor were we fed spiteful propaganda about other churches.. All we were taught was, Jesus was lord and he is your way to heaven ..He offered himself over, we should be thankful..All that and more.. But never anything spiteful about other Christians..

I only ever saw the likes of that from some protestant followers, but thankfully not all protestant followers, I know quite a few that are far more intelligent and hold more of an understanding of the faith...The intelligent Christians will not kick up any lame spite against another church, spreading propaganda about the church..In my view, those that do, are not fully educated on what the church is and why they do what they do....I guess that's what it is like to carry a chip on ones shoulder....

I don't follow Christianity any more, haven't done for a quite a while, but my children are Protestant Christians as is my hubby and the rest of my family..( My mother is a born again Christian with my brother ) So I do have that bit of respect left, I will defend them if I can...

As for miracles, well I don't know, but if people claim they have received a miracle or two, from their holy spirit, served through John Paul, then hey, let them believe it.. It's not going to wreck my day lol

Yes we are our own worst enemy, true enough...well said....but that can be said for just about any human endeavor I believe.

Peace

Mark

• Like 2

LOL don't worry about it. The faith will endure and the Eucharist is the central aspect of our faith. The recieving of the body, blood soul and divinity of Jesus Christ under the form of bread and wine. A thousand years from now, it will still be true, for the church will endure because of Jesus Christ. Everyone gets it ;-). John Paul the second was a great man and a saint, I am glad like you that he is being honored in this way. Let others think what they will....we all after all have our ideas about things.

Peace

Mark

John Paul II was a great man, and I really admire and respect him. I remember going to my grandmother's house, and in her wall, next to her crucifix, was a picture of Pope John Paul II....

• Like 3

Thanks for the thread, Still. As a non-Roman catholic this isn't much of my concern. However, I have long been a functioning Christian, and a student of like traditions--Catholicism and Orthodoxy especially--for decades. Also, the Pope is a head of state (Vatican City) and subject to political as well as spiritual assessment.

It is striking how JP 2 ascended to sainthood so quickly--like a rocket. I think Darkwind may be onto something, suggesting it may create a stink, if only because of the rapidity of his canonization-- 8 years (often the process takes centuries). He did nothing substantial to 'clean house' of priests sexually abusing children in the Catholic Church. He installed Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger as the protector of doctrine, and groomed him for his subsequent ineffectual papacy. He rejected the fruits of liberation theology because of its philosophical underpinnings in marxist analysis. As a youth and a man he suffered under both the Nazis and Soviets, so his allergy to "peoples' movements" was understandable--as well as unproductive. He was wildly popular with youth and non-Roman Catholics, but dismissive of many women's issues, both in the church and the secular world.

Of course, he was wildly charismatic. But that's not a criterion for sainthood.

I understand the glory, laud and honor applied to John Paul II. He'd probably be a saint by worldwide majority vote, apart from the requirements of the Vatican Curia. I simply regard him as a much more ambiguous and enigmatic world figure based on his actual record, rather than on his obviously robust personality and spirituality.

One reason for the usually longer process is because time provides perspective for honest assessment beyond mere emotional adulation.

Edited by szentgyorgy

Some posts here are worded as if satan himself had launched an attack upon the righteous of the world...... So, are we all simply to believe in "miracles" like little children believe in Father Frost. I have nothing against John Paul II, clearly a man of exceptional ability and humanity, but still only a man. The common theme here is "Thou shalt NOT say one word against Christianity" particulary to point and laugh and say "The emperor has no clothes", or to point out that while Pagan beliefs are mocked and derided as superstitious and childish, it seems okay that a mortal man can now be made into a demi-god, and that, despite any objections, is what a saint is. My post was not an insult or any attack, it was an observation.

• Like 1

It is being passed because he performed 2 miricles. What where they. Curing cancer in one women and parkesins in another. God seems to be very selective.

A little ironic, canonizing John XXIII, who "did" the Second Vatican Council, and John Paul II, who did as much as he could to undo it, in pretty much the same breath.

• Like 3

It was a miracle he kept the child molestation racket swept under the rug for so long.

Seriously though, Santo subito! PJP2 changed the world.

It's amazing how many will bash him and his faith, even though they couldn't care less for any of it...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Miracles, and we are expected to take this seriously?.

Hardly, it is not asking you or any non Christian to take any of it seriously It's simply just a news article, not some form of, come to us and convert note..... Their OWN followers may like it and support it..It's their faith ....If Catholics and other Christians believe in miracles, so be it..

I seriously cannot see how any of that would disrupt our day....

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

:rofl: I think it is going to raise one first class stink, but if that is really what they want to do. I don't think much good is going to come of it for them.

I have yet to see one of our Catholic UMers ( Mark Dole and Star of the sea ) to enter a pagan thread and poke fun laughing... When I do, I'll be very surprised..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

What Pagan threads, there are hardly any. Most threads in the religious part of this forum are nothing more than Christian propaganda containing the most tedious tautology from posters who like to think they are clever, yet their purpose is as clear as crystal. Pagan v Christian on this forum is very much a one way street against Pagans. To even suggest that this "news" may "disrupt" my day is ridiculous. It is trivial garbage, but while that religion still has power over peoples lives, then I will attack it and continue to attack it. It is not live and let live with this religion, it is abuse of power, a struggle by them against the rest of us to maintain the power they have enjoyed for millenia. That people since the enlightenment have questioned this garbage and abuse of power is frightening to Popes and Metropolitans and the rest of the crows. People still get killed in parts of the world for "witchcraft", others beaten because their lifestiles do not comply with Christianity. That some Christians here bleat about being "beaten" by the wicked Pagans or atheists is a sick joke. Christian apologists and propagandists are all over this forum with their sly and not so sly propagandist nonsense.

A rant? yes, because I am tired of this garbage in the name of some Levantine religion that pretends it is the "truth". Any religion that has the power to destroy lives or to enforce compliance through civil and criminal law needs very close scrutiny, and in my opinion any such power should be destroyed utterly.

Any slimy, pompous and patronising comments that are usually heaped on me from the "god" brigade will be ignored.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri

What Pagan threads, there are hardly any. Most threads in the religious part of this forum are nothing more than Christian propaganda containing the most tedious tautology from posters who like to think they are clever, yet their purpose is as clear as crystal. Pagan v Christian on this forum is very much a one way street against Pagans. To even suggest that this "news" may "disrupt" my day is ridiculous. It is trivial garbage, but while that religion still has power over peoples lives, then I will attack it and continue to attack it. It is not live and let live with this religion, it is abuse of power, a struggle by them against the rest of us to maintain the power they have enjoyed for millenia. That people since the enlightenment have questioned this garbage and abuse of power is frightening to Popes and Metropolitans and the rest of the crows. People still get killed in parts of the world for "witchcraft", others beaten because their lifestiles do not comply with Christianity. That some Christians here bleat about being "beaten" by the wicked Pagans or atheists is a sick joke. Christian apologists and propagandists are all over this forum with their sly and not so sly propagandist nonsense.

A rant? yes, because I am tired of this garbage in the name of some Levantine religion that pretends it is the "truth". Any religion that has the power to destroy lives or to enforce compliance through civil and criminal law needs very close scrutiny, and in my opinion any such power should be destroyed utterly.

Any slimy, pompous and patronising comments that are usually heaped on me from the "god" brigade will be ignored.

Ya gotta say what you gotta say, however, I have nothing against other religions. There are only people, and just like in politics, religion can raise a lot of hackles. I wish you well in your search and that you find peace.

peace

mark

Hardly, it is not asking you or any non Christian to take any of it seriously It's simply just a news article, not some form of, come to us and convert note..... Their OWN followers may like it and support it..It's their faith ....If Catholics and other Christians believe in miracles, so be it..

I seriously cannot see how any of that would disrupt our day....

How is it that you are so sane ;-)....I love it that you are hear my friend.

peace

mark

• Like 2

Some posts here are worded as if satan himself had launched an attack upon the righteous of the world...... So, are we all simply to believe in "miracles" like little children believe in Father Frost. I have nothing against John Paul II, clearly a man of exceptional ability and humanity, but still only a man. The common theme here is "Thou shalt NOT say one word against Christianity" particulary to point and laugh and say "The emperor has no clothes", or to point out that while Pagan beliefs are mocked and derided as superstitious and childish, it seems okay that a mortal man can now be made into a demi-god, and that, despite any objections, is what a saint is. My post was not an insult or any attack, it was an observation.

No one seems to have reacted strongly to what you said, they may disagree with you. Again, you can say what you want, we all have that right my friend.

peace

mark

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 1

No one seems to have reacted strongly to what you said, they must may disagree with you. Again, you can say what you want, we all have that right my friend.

peace

mark

It is the implications only slightly under the surface. It is the constant jumping down the throat, even with some politeness, when any comment is made that does not "conform". In my post I did an edit to add this "some", for I know you are not amongst "them". I think most will know precisely the people I mean. Your position is clear, you do not hide or evade, others lie through their teeth, even to the extent of denying they are Christians or any sort of believer, yet attack any who do not "conform", with some vigour and hatred. They are contemptuous garbage.

Could we keep the comments in this thread civil, respectful and on topic please.

Thank you.

What Pagan threads, there are hardly any.

I have read through a good few Pagan threads on here over time.. They are not as many as Christian threads, being that more on here happen to be Christian..If more on here were Pagan, then you are likely to see more of the Pagan threads and more often.... Same if there were more Jewish people posting, you are bound to read more Jewish threads...Christianity is mentioned more because of the population of Christians, and it is the biggest religion known.. Its not a biased remark, no, it's pointing out fact..

Let me ask you something regarding the topic at hand...When you said - Miracles, and we are expected to take this seriously?. Did you feel that readers all over from all walks of life were meant to take it seriously?... OR..Was it nothing more than a new article about one faith sharing news?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

It was a miracle he kept the child molestation racket swept under the rug for so long.

Seriously though, Santo subito! PJP2 changed the world.

In what way(s) did John Paul II 'change the world?' He recharged traditional Roman Catholicism, invigorated Marian devotion/worship and helped people--not just Roman Catholics--feel good about faith and common humanity. However, our world----very sadly----remained substantively unchanged.