Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA shows Irish people have more complex

Big Bad Voodoo

For centuries Irish legends have told that at least one of the most important waves of "invaders" came from Spain... Looks like they were right...

• Like 1

The Milesians in legend came from Spain but they were also the ones who originally spoke Gaelic so were Celtic.

Is this paper in the OP claiming they are related to the Basque?

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

Is this paper in the OP claiming they are related to the Basque?

That was my conclusion too.

I thought it was renown that Basques have always been considered a Celtic race. Before the Romans spread their genes and Empire, concentration of Celtic groups around Europe was common so I don't see what the surprise is. In fact Basques share little with their compatriots from Madrid, hence, their plight for independence.

• Like 1

I don't see it as a surprise either...

Picon Punch is a traditional Basque drink that is very popular in the Basque community in central California. It was invented by Basque immigrants in the early 1900's. http://www.liquorand...343-picon-punch

Inventing drinks? Then it's clear as whiskey, they MUST be connected to us :lol:

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I thought it was renown that Basques have always been considered a Celtic race. Before the Romans spread their genes and Empire, concentration of Celtic groups around Europe was common so I don't see what the surprise is. In fact Basques share little with their compatriots from Madrid, hence, their plight for independence.

The Seven Celtic Nations of today are considered:

Ireland

Scotland

Wales

Cornwall

Isle Of Man

Brittany

Galicia (The Basque)

(not counting the other 190 nations of the Earth that the Celts have migrated to)...

Galicians are not and never were Basques. Galicia is at the very NW of Spain while the Basque land is in the very NE of it.

Today the Galician language is related to Portuguese. The Celtic language was lost in Galicia. Basque is still a language isolate with no known relatives. It is not related to any Celtic language and never was.

Or through. Last I read, the exact origin point of the Celts, hadn't been determined although it has been strongly suggested that we originated roughly around Persia.

I'll have to dig out my scrolls to confirm it though.

Edited by JMPD1

Galicians are not and never were Basques. Galicia is at the very NW of Spain while the Basque land is in the very NE of it.

Today the Galician language is related to Portuguese. The Celtic language was lost in Galicia. Basque is still a language isolate with no known relatives. It is not related to any Celtic language and never was.

Oops My bad... I knew better...

q:

Seldom spoke about are the Ligurians. Would love to know more about them as they existed in their part of the world before the arrival of the Celts.

Then we have the Iberians as well whom little is known about. Many merged with some of the Celts and became Celtiberians.

For centuries Irish legends have told that at least one of the most important waves of "invaders" came from Spain... Looks like they were right...

The Vikings also went to Ireland and some settled there and set up trading.

What is usually white,between 5 to 7 feet long and is found floating down the river Shannon ?

An Englishman telling Irish Jokes.

There's an ancient link to the Basques. Their forebears came to the British Isles. The pre-invasion inhabitants, before the Saxons and others, shared a common ethnicity (with variations based on how much they mixed with small groups of predecessors). They weren't Celts, though. The Celtic culture and language had their start in central Europe, and they spread westward. The ur civilization was found in the area that comprises parts of contemporary Austria, as well as Switzerland. Their ways were adopted by the descendants of the Basques who were pushed to the fringe by assorted groups in various areas through the years. You can observe this pressure by seeing the regions in which Gaelic Irish, Gaelic Scottish, Welsh, etc. are spoken today.