Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

OIl train derails, causes major fire

redhen

It seem like every time you turn around there is another accident involving oil.

• Like 1

Another example of why we need more pipelines.

Except that pipeline leaks can be caused by something as simple as rain.

"“While the cause of the spill is yet to be confirmed, unusually heavy rainfall in the region is believed to have resulted in ground movement on the right-of way that may have impacted the pipeline,” Enbridge said."

This is much worse than first reported;

"The center of a Quebec town has been wiped out, according to the mayor, after a freight train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded in a fireball at 1am on Saturday.

About 30 buildings were destroyed and 60 people are believed to be missing, but the force of the fire has prevented rescue workers from searching for survivors."

Daily Mail story here

article-0-1AB0650D000005DC-693_634x389.jpg

article-2357352-1AB07244000005DC-454_634x489.jpg

Edited by redhen

A runaway train, with no one on board. Wow, that is going to take some real explaining - if the brakes failed, that's one thing but aren't there backups? I'm sure I saw something along those lines in a doco once but alas I can't be sure of the details. It seems to me that the possibility of a runaway train should be obvious though and preventative measures just as obvious.

Given it was after 1am when it derailed, I fear most of the missing died in their beds or trying to escape burning homes, how awful.

• Like 1

The oil car somehow got released. Someone had to of done that then known to of released the air off the air brakes so it would roll. Unless there was maybe a hole in the brake line.

It is awful and I feel so sorry for the people that is having to live with this and loss of family members. This is so bad even firefighters from the US are there.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/06/dozens-missing-after-oil-train-explosion-levels-canadian-town-center/

• Like 1

I thought the keystone pipeline is supposed to prevent exactly this.

Seems there was a fire on the same train hours earlier and these tankers have a history of puncturing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57592781/canada-train-derailment-probe-focuses-on-fire-hours-before-quebec-disaster-tankers-with-history-of-puncturing/

The oil car somehow got released. Someone had to of done that then known to of released the air off the air brakes so it would roll. Unless there was maybe a hole in the brake line.

It is awful and I feel so sorry for the people that is having to live with this and loss of family members. This is so bad even firefighters from the US are there.

http://www.rawstory....an-town-center/

Makes me wonder if it was simply an honest mistake or mechanical failure, or sabotage, to possibly show that a pipeline would be better than trains?

I heard that trains have 'black boxes' as well. Hopefully more answers will soon be known.

I read ( cbc.ca) that the original fire was put out by the firemen in another town and the hydraulics for the brakes may not have been reingaged after the fire was out.

yes gods, that reportage is a dazzling example of how journalists know absolutely nothing about anything, isn;t it. It's the equivalent of how, if there's a plane crash, the engines always "burst into flames" beforehand.

Edward Burkhardt, the president and CEO of the railway's parent company Rail World, Inc., suggested that the decision to shut off the locomotive to put out the fire might have disabled the brakes. "An hour or so after the locomotive was shut down, the train rolled away," Burkhardt told the Canadian Broadcast Corp.

What is that supposed to mean? It's absolute b******s. the wagons came uncoupled from the locomotive, that wouldn't have had anything to do with any fire or disabling brakes or anything. And shutting down the locomotive wouldn't have disabled the brakes, just the opposite, they're designed to fail safe so that if air pressure is lost the brakes will come on. And it wouldn't have uncoupled the wagons in any case. Unless one of the Fire Fighters decided to do so while they were attending to the earlier fire or something. In which case they'd obviously be very keen to shift blame onto somebody else.

Off topic, but if an old school prophet or a guy like Nostradamus dreamt of an image like that statue of Christ with fire in the sky behind it, what other conclusion would they come to besides Armageddon?

Just thought I'd throw in a paranormal twist since this is UM after all.

;)