Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Double standards

danielost

These have to end. If one group can be charged with a crime for doing something then everyone should be charged for doing it.

If a racial slurr is bad for one group to say then no one should use it. I am against the use of cuss words and I don't use them,no matter how mad I get.

Politicians, the ones in office think they are above the laws. We need to remind them their not.

• Like 1

These have to end. If one group can be charged with a crime for doing something then everyone should be charged for doing it.

If a racial slurr is bad for one group to say then no one should use it. I am against the use of cuss words and I don't use them,no matter how mad I get.

Politicians, the ones in office think they are above the laws. We need to remind them their not.

Daniel this is a bit vague, I have no idea what you are talking about... When you say we need to remind them they or not? What are you suggesting?

What I am asking is, can you explain a bit more about what your thread is about?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

To remind the polititions they are not above the law. At least here in the usa they aren't. Don't know about any other nation.

I am talking aout the double standerds society has in different offencess. These would be different in every nation and states.

For example everybody gets upset if anyone but blacks use the n-word, at least here in the usa. Paula dean got in trouble, because she used it one time thirty years ago when someone had a gun to her head.

It turned out to be a staged robbery.

You have politions breaking all kinds of minor laws. Like writing hot checks. Speeding, drunk driving.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

As long as we have double standards, the racial type ones. Not politicions. We will have race problems.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

You're saying that if it's socially stigmatising for someone to use the "N" word, then it should be equally stigmatising for a person of African descent to use something like "Cracker" or "Honkie"?

Works for me.

• Like 2

Here is the thing, I really like Paula Deen, have for a long time. I think aside from her very clear issue with race she's a nice person. Does the fact that she doesn't understand that she's racist make it better or worse? I truly believe she doesn't think she's a racist person but her words (not just in that robbery) but in recent interviews where she talks about someone being "black as that board right there" speaks of an ongoing ignorance toward African Americans. I don't think she's an awful person but she has a lot of room to improve on her understanding of what is acceptable to say to or about a person of color. The difference between Paula and a politician is that a politician is elected by a group of people to represent their say in the halls of government, she is a public figure. Some politicians are public figures, others you couldn't identify if you tried. If the court of public opinion says she's guilty it doesn't matter if she is or isn't she'll be judged accordingly. I'm not sure what punishment if any she does deserve other than the ones she's already gotten which is publicly humiliated and her "empire" crumbling. She may or may not have deserved all thats happened but in the end when you say things that are offensive sometimes you pay the price.

Edited by darkmoonlady

As long as we have double standards, the racial type ones. Not politicions. We will have race problems.

We would have race problems even if there was never a government... It is part of human nature..

• Like 1

Here is the thing, I really like Paula Deen, have for a long time. I think aside from her very clear issue with race she's a nice person. Does the fact that she doesn't understand that she's racist make it better or worse? I truly believe she doesn't think she's a racist person but her words (not just in that robbery) but in recent interviews where she talks about someone being "black as that board right there" speaks of an ongoing ignorance toward African Americans. I don't think she's an awful person but she has a lot of room to improve on her understanding of what is acceptable to say to or about a person of color. The difference between Paula and a politician is that a politician is elected by a group of people to represent their say in the halls of government, she is a public figure. Some politicians are public figures, others you couldn't identify if you tried. If the court of public opinion says she's guilty it doesn't matter if she is or isn't she'll be judged accordingly. I'm not sure what punishment if any she does deserve other than the ones she's already gotten which is publicly humiliated and her "empire" crumbling. She may or may not have deserved all thats happened but in the end when you say things that are offensive sometimes you pay the price.

Why is describing the color some one is a bad thing if Oprah or the president said "he was as white as that paper" would the media get it's panties in a bunch?

Let's get real people we "crackers" are meant to feel guilty about something that happened 150 yrs. ago. I think it is time for the African-American community to put on it's big girl panties and act like they want to get along.

I didn't own a slave no one in my families history owned a slave but if I say "he is a black man" all the sudden I am looked at like I just cracked the whip. This is the double standard that the media, politicians and African-Americans leaders feed and until someone calls them out on it our country will never move forward.

• Like 6

I am against the use of cuss words and I don't use them,no matter how mad I get.

Anger is not the time to use these words -- they only make you seem helpless. There are times though when a well placed shock word gets the attention the situation may need
  • Like 1

Why is describing the color some one is a bad thing if Oprah or the president said "he was as white as that paper" would the media get it's panties in a bunch?

Let's get real people we "crackers" are meant to feel guilty about something that happened 150 yrs. ago. I think it is time for the African-American community to put on it's big girl panties and act like they want to get along.

I didn't own a slave no one in my families history owned a slave but if I say "he is a black man" all the sudden I am looked at like I just cracked the whip. This is the double standard that the media, politicians and African-Americans leaders feed and until someone calls them out on it our country will never move forward.

This post says it all perfectly well for me..

• Like 2

You're saying that if it's socially stigmatising for someone to use the "N" word, then it should be equally stigmatising for a person of African descent to use something like "Cracker" or "Honkie"?

Works for me.

Works for me.

No, I am sayingif it is wrong for someone to use the n word it is wrong for a person of africasn desent to use the n word. When was the last time you saw some white guy use cracker or honkie outside of movies.

• Like 1

Anger is not the time to use these words -- they only make you seem helpless. There are times though when a well placed shock word gets the attention the situation may need

Never.

• Like 1

She may be a racist. But, that is not why she got fired. She got fired for saying the n word thirty years ago. In this case she was being truthful in court. I don't watch her.

When I sold ice cream in wichita, I would go into a soul food restraunt for lunch. This was in the early eighties. The other custimers looked at me like what I was doing there. But no one said it. I figuared since I was working in the nieghborhood, I might as well return some of the money.

• Like 1

Well again she said more than what I posted too, she wanted to have a southern plantation style wedding with black servers because she felt it was quaint and didn't see the fact that wanting all dark servers at a southern wedding is racist. Like I said I don't think she thinks she is racist but her actions and her words can be interpreted as being racist whether she intended them to be or not.

• Like 1

Didn't she also make her black workers use a different restroom than her white employees and also pick up their checks using a different entrance?

Double standards.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

I agree... Double standards ave done nothing but divide the people. It creates more victims. Everybody should be treated equally as independent individuals.

Vote Libertarian.

• Like 6

Well again she said more than what I posted too, she wanted to have a southern plantation style wedding with black servers because she felt it was quaint and didn't see the fact that wanting all dark servers at a southern wedding is racist. Like I said I don't think she thinks she is racist but her actions and her words can be interpreted as being racist whether she intended them to be or not.

I dare say there might come a time when such a wedding could be staged and it wouldn't be racist but historical re-enactment and cultural preservation, although of course it could never be "quaint." If the States ever reached such a point, it would not be a racist nation.

No, I am sayingif it is wrong for someone to use the n word it is wrong for a person of africasn desent to use the n word. When was the last time you saw some white guy use cracker or honkie outside of movies.

Yes I agree with Daniel in this case. These words are outside the bounds regardless of who says them.

Homosexuals have accepted the word "queer" as a word of pride and as a result the word is no longer out of bounds. (Now tone of voice of course means a lot -- the word "friend" can be out of bounds if said in certain tones). African-Americans have not accepted a similar use of the "N" word, so the word remains out of bounds for everyone.

• Like 1

I dare say there might come a time when such a wedding could be staged and it wouldn't be racist but historical re-enactment and cultural preservation, although of course it could never be "quaint." If the States ever reached such a point, it would not be a racist nation.

i am at a loss as to how a "historical re-enactment" of something like this could ever not be racist. even if our own society (here in the u.s.) ever leaves racism behind (which it sure as math has not), any re-enactment of a racist period that didn't explicitly condemn that period would still be racist. cultural preservation? of segregation, inequality, and slavery?

i got a lot of problems with this topic, it's hard to find a place to start.

• Like 1

Well I suggest your offense suggests your own ambiguity about racial matters.

• Like 1

So it would have been ok if it was a northern style wedding. This is what I am talking about.

What about the reverse were to take place. The couple is black and they cwant a southern style wedding with all white staff.

Edited by danielost

Well I suggest your offense suggests your own ambiguity about racial matters.

i'll admit that i'm not sure what you're getting at here.

So it would have been ok if it was a northern style wedding. This is what I am talking about.

What about the reverse were to take place. The couple is black and they cwant a southern style wedding with all white staff.

what in the what is a northern style wedding anyhow? and the thing about the whole "double standard": that argument only works if the two things are truly equivalent. they aren't, there isn't the same history of oppresion there.

• Like 1

I see you scipped the second part of my guestion.

i did not intend to, but i guess i phrased my answer badly. the two are not equivalent. there is a history of black people being forced into servile roles for whites in the south; the same history does not exist in the reverse.

the things we say, the things we do, they all occur in the context of the culture we live in, and the history of that culture. and the history and culture and language of the united states is one where segregation and racial prejudice are woven throughout. different words and actions have different weight and meaning depending on who says or does them.

• Like 1

We need to see some sanity from the media. They obviously employ double standards and hypocrisy when it comes to racial events and issues. It's crossed the Rubicon now. Paula Deen used a racial slur to describe a Black man who robbed her before some of us were even born. The hysterical talking heads acted like she screamed the insult at a group of Black kindergarten students last week. There's no sense of context and proportionality in these orchestrated electronic leftist show trials performed for the sake of the undiscerning masses of sheep. Most Americans see through the predictable morality plays, which don't reflect their realities. Hence the continued suicide of the MSM.

• Like 2