Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to join the hunt for alien signals

British astronomers from 11 institutions have set up a new network to help search for signs of ET.

British scientists are to make a concerted effort to look for alien life among the stars. Academics from 11 institutions have set up a network to co-ordinate their Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (Seti).

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Good for them!!. The more we have people seeking life out there, the better the chances of finding it.

• Like 1

There maybe daily signals to Earth but perhaps we don't share the same technology,I knew a few people in my time who were able to receive these signals but only when they didn't take their medicine

• Like 1

I have to admit, it comes as no surprise to see Sir Martin Rees leading the charge. He seems to have a penchant for Sci Fi. I just hope as age takes hold he does not turn into a Paul Hellyer or something. Overall, great idea, the amateur contingent has always been greatly underestimated. Britain too has always been underestimated with regards to space travel. I think there is quite some potential here.

There maybe daily signals to Earth but perhaps we don't share the same technology,I knew a few people in my time who were able to receive these signals but only when they didn't take their medicine

I think this is a spot on comment. Lets suppose there is an alien race who can travel the universe and have mastered either warping or worm holing. Surely radio wave communication is no longer of any use to them?

My science isn't very good so please correct me if I am wrong.

But are effectively looking for a civilisation that would be at the same technology level as us at the moment, obviously assuming there is better ways to communicate than radio waves.

Electromagnetic radiation (radio and so on) seems to be the way to go. It has a few problems but is cheap. "Warping" and "worm holing" are fantasy. EMRs biggest problem is that signal strength falls off with the square of the distance so it don't get too far out there and the signal is damn weak. Of course it is like everything else limited by the speed of light.

I don't expect much, but the consequences of my being wrong are so wonderful that it is more than worth it.

Electromagnetic radiation (radio and so on) seems to be the way to go. It has a few problems but is cheap. "Warping" and "worm holing" are fantasy. EMRs biggest problem is that signal strength falls off with the square of the distance so it don't get too far out there and the signal is damn weak. Of course it is like everything else limited by the speed of light.

I don't expect much, but the consequences of my being wrong are so wonderful that it is more than worth it.

Warping and wormholing may be called a fantasy for now, but as I have pointed out already, there are several Physists and others including Morgan Freeman of the great show "Through The Wormhole", and theoretical Physist Michio Kaku, that believe it may be possible at some point in our future.

I think this is a spot on comment. Lets suppose there is an alien race who can travel the universe and have mastered either warping or worm holing. Surely radio wave communication is no longer of any use to them?

But are effectively looking for a civilisation that would be at the same technology level as us at the moment, obviously assuming there is better ways to communicate than radio waves.

The problem will always be that of TIME...you know what they say, when you look at a twinkling star in the sky, you're actually looking BACK in time, so any signals received in the traditional method will be years, if not hundreds of years out of date.

For example, Proxima Centauri, which is the nearest star to us is about 4 light-years away. So the light we see from it now left the star about 4 years ago. Something catastrophic could have happened to the star within those four years and we can't know about it yet.

If we did get a signal from REALLY far away, and if it hadn't been too degraded in its passage, which is most unlikely... chances are whoever sent it would probably be long dead...

and its the same for us sending signals elsewhere

Edited by seeder

Warping and wormholing may be called a fantasy for now, but as I have pointed out already, there are several Physists and others including Morgan Freeman of the great show "Through The Wormhole", and theoretical Physist Michio Kaku, that believe it may be possible at some point in our future.

Morgan Freeman is merely the narrator of that show, he has no physics background. That said, while worm holes are a solution to the Theory of General Relativity, they have the issue of requiring a lot of energy and matter with negative mass. A rather unfortunate property as we have never seen that before - ever.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Radio is one of those universal things that I personally doubt that any civilization would dismiss. But that is really irrelevant, as radio waves is the only technology we really know how to look for right now, so we don't really have any other options.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Radio is one of those universal things that I personally doubt that any civilization would dismiss. But that is really irrelevant, as radio waves is the only technology we really know how to look for right now, so we don't really have any other options.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Except my laser dots. :whistle:

Except my laser dots. :whistle:

Light is also radio waves, albeit at a different frequency. And that is being looked for too, but has the problem that it cannot penetrate clouds.

Cheers,

Badeskov

So we cant use anything except radio waves?

What do you suggest using?

Cheers,

Badeskov

What do you suggest using?

Cheers,

Badeskov

Nothing. Just Im surprised. I probably ask wrong questions. But thats usual for me when we discuss physics. Didnt know that.

Nothing. Just Im surprised. I probably ask wrong questions. But thats usual for me when we discuss physics. Didnt know that.

Ok, no problem :-) the thing is that radio waves at certain frequencies can pass through our atmosphere unhindered, where most other frequencies cannot. Unfortunately, that is all that we really know how to look for now.

Cheers,

Badeskov

But is it possible that clouds on other planet would not allow our radio waves to pass?

What about sending in another frequencies for example from moon?

Smoke signals will work just as well.

Worked for Tesla I suppose.....

Didn't he claims to get telepathic signals from Venus?

When he was ripped of his nut on pot.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Way too much Information there psyche101 ! Good Old Tesla was on High voltage Indeed !

ANd most likely what ever white powder was in vouge at the time !