Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lack Of Evidence for Milk’s Benefits

Big Bad Voodoo

Obviously the author of the Wiki article is a Vegan. It needs editing by someone with a more balanced attitude.

The sly if not snide little item about promotion by industries and the government gives the ball away if nothing else. Wiki is beginning to show "balance" that isn't all that balanced: either that or they don't have the resources to keep all the propaganda out as I'm seeing it more and more.

Regarding milk as a childhood diet item, the government in Vietnam some time ago began pushing for its greater use after lactation was over, and has seen a corresponding improvement in a number of measurements of childhood health, as well as a considerable increase in the height of its population. A dairy industry of sorts using irradiated milk (so as to avoid the need for refrigeration) has developed mostly with imports from Anzus and Europe. It seems that lactose intolerance is not the problem imagined and that most adults adapt to milk in their diets if they do it slowly. The nutritional improvements are substantial.

yes and?

It's not necessary for adults, of any species to consume milk. I've said this three times now. I'm not sure how I can make it easier to understand.

and we love it too.

In many cultures drinking milk would be disgusting, akin to drinking a big glass of saliva.

i'm sorry. This. This is simply not so.

Ok where's your data, here's mine

"Most adults worldwide do not produce the enzyme lactase and so are unable to digest the milk sugar lactose. However, most people in Europe and many from other populations continue to produce lactase throughout their life (lactase persistence). In Europe, a single genetic variant, −13,910*T, is strongly associated with lactase persistence and appears to have been favoured by natural selection in the last 10,000 years"

seems like a good thing

Right, if you live in a developing country and have no choice. I am only talking about modern agricultural societies.

because there is a huge demand for it.

Industrial scale dairy production has serious problems, waste products, health concerns, animal ethics to name a few.

yes that's true. Vegans are not being forced to consume milk.

The separation of calves from their mothers after 3 days, and the killing of male calves is unnecessary and therefore cruel. These are objective facts, irrespective of one's consumer purchases or diet. I'm sure at least one 19th century slave trader, when confronted with the cruelty and immorality of slavery replied, "so what, no one's forcing anyone to buy a slave".

necessary? probably not but then a lot of things we eat are not necessary. We love them and so we eat them.

And if causes pain, suffering and death to other sentient beings, that doesn't figure into any ethical concern because it tickles your taste buds? If you cause unnecessary harm to an animal, that is by definition animal cruelty and a crime. The only reason cattle are exempt from these laws is the arbitrary government categorization of them as "agricultural animals" the same way laboratory animals are classified as "models".

Yes some people have lactose intolerance. You want everyone to stop drinking milk because some people are intolerant? I don't think so.

No, if you can live a healthy life without animal milk (you live in a modern agricultural society) drinking milk is unnecessary and thus cruel.

Milk production does not involve unnecessary pain to bovines.

Ask any female you know if they would like to remain pregnant their entire life, with only 45 days off between pregnancies. Ask any female if they would like their newborn infant to be taken away from her after 3 days. Also ask them if they would like their infants to be slaughtered, usually for their extra tender flesh (veal, yummy). Finally ask them if they would like to stand on their feet in a small cubicle until they become lame. There's also the associated diseases and stress from this kind of confinement.

of course it does.

You are stating what is the case and claiming that therefore it should be the case. That's a logical fallacy.

We like it. We love it.

You love the taste, right I got that.

Only time in history I will ever agree with this man, 100%. We're both disgusted I am sure.

Glad I could bring you two into common ground, lol

Obviously the author of the Wiki article is a Vegan. It needs editing by someone with a more balanced attitude.

The sly if not snide little item about promotion by industries and the government gives the ball away if nothing else.

But it is the case. The dairy industry is a huge lobby in Washington and constantly run media ads promoting milk. Some ads suggested if you didn't drink milk, your bones would become frail and break.

Regarding milk as a childhood diet item, the government in Vietnam some time ago began pushing for its greater use after lactation was over, and has seen a corresponding improvement in a number of measurements of childhood health, as well as a considerable increase in the height of its population.

Is this fortified milk? Natural milk is just mostly water, fat and lactose. All of these nutrients can be obtained from other sources, ones that don't involve animal harm.

Actually there is a bit of debate here whether to fortify the milk we get with vitamin D or not (it is not presently fortified as an unnecessary expense). It turns out that even in a tropical climate there are those who don't get enough of the vitamin without some sort of supplement. Women here want to be as white as possible and so cover themselves head-to-toe whenever they venture out.

A campaign to alleviate animal suffering is all to the good, but the fact remains that milk consumption itself does not harm the animal. I am somewhat astonished by your assertion that natural milk is mostly just water, fat and lactose. It is an excellent source of all essential amino acids in an easily digested and easily absorbed form.

Actually there is a bit of debate here whether to fortify the milk we get with vitamin D or not (it is not presently fortified as an unnecessary expense). It turns out that even in a tropical climate there are those who don't get enough of the vitamin without some sort of supplement. Women here want to be as white as possible and so cover themselves head-to-toe whenever they venture out.

That suggests another detrimental Western cultural influence.

I am somewhat astonished by your assertion that natural milk is mostly just water, fat and lactose.

By composition, it is mostly water, fat and lactose.

It is an excellent source of all essential amino acids in an easily digested and easily absorbed form.

But there are other ways to get these nutrients that don't involve animal harm.