Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hubble Finds a True Blue Planet

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Hubble Finds a True Blue Planet

Astronomers making visible-light observations with NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have deduced the actual color of a planet orbiting another star 63 light-years away.

The planet is HD 189733b, one of the closest exoplanets that can be seen crossing the face of its star.

Hubble's Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph measured changes in the color of light from the planet before, during and after a pass behind its star. There was a small drop in light and a slight change in the color of the light. "We saw the light becoming less bright in the blue but not in the green or red. Light was missing in the blue but not in the red when it was hidden," said research team member Frederic Pont of the University of Exeter in South West England. "This means that the object that disappeared was blue."

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf, you always post the best space articles :tu: love it.

• Like 2

A gas planet similar to Neptune perhaps?...

I wonder what Earth would look like - blue mostly I'm sure...

The variety of the exoplanets, and for that matter, our own solar system's planets and moons never ceases to amaze. The sad thing is that we may one day find a "perfect" analog to earth orbiting another star but it may be that it is not possible to ever reach it physically.

Raining glass? I say we name it Planet Chihuly.

Waspie_Dwarf, you always post the best space articles :tu: love it.

Agreed! I always read them too when I see them!

The new prince song will be "Azure Rain", the follow up to his 80's classic "purple rain". Just sayin'.

when can i visit cause i cracked time travel due to parralell universe if a scientist thinks of something the one in the other universe thinks the same idea and we converge at some point in our thinking

A planet that may rain liquid glass, my oh my, what other wonders does the universe hold for u??s. Would love to be an Astronaut in orbit around this planet so as to study it more. Amazing.

last time i heard about hubble, it appeared to be broken. and there it is back, bringing some space awesomeness! cool :tu:

Edited by Jacques Terreur

Glass rain sounds awesome.

Awesome indeed, but not one where you would want to be caught in a storm, lol.

• Like 1

last time i heard about hubble, it appeared to be broken. and there it is back, bringing some space awesomeness! cool :tu:

I think you are getting your space telescopes mixed up. It is Kepler that has the problems, Hubble is in perfect working order.

I think you are getting your space telescopes mixed up. It is Kepler that has the problems, Hubble is in perfect working order.

I stand corrected. Thank you! Knew it was one of those space telescopes.

I stand corrected. Thank you! Knew it was one of those space telescopes.

Actually it was Jacques Terreur that said he thought it was broken.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

i heard it in a german radio broadcast, they stated clearly that it was Hubble that broke, some weeks ago.....oh well, what sources can you trust these days, eh? Very exciting finds anyway!