Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greenpeace climbers conquer the Shard

your_dark_passenger

A Greenpeace activist today reached the top of Britain's tallest building after climbing for more than 15 hours in a protest against drilling in the Arctic.

She was one of six women who evaded security guards to scale the 72-storey Shard in central London early this morning. The six have now been arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass, according to the Metropolitan Police.

They said their action was intended to put Shell and other oil companies in the spotlight.

Edited by your_dark_passenger
  • Like 1

Have any of these stunts actually achieved any positive results? "Direct Action" really doesn't help anyone at all. it just antagonises everyone, it's hardly going to make whichever Evil multinational Corporation is your current object of hate willing to listen to your arguments, is it, and it just annoys everyone else who gets inconvenienced by the inconvenience (and often the police over-reaction) it causes, and so it's hardly going to make them sympathetic to you, is it. Just like that Sea Shepherd crowd.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh

how does this help?

Tying yourself to a drilling rig, throwing yourself under trucks carrying Arctic oil ... that's the sort of insane stunt that draw attention to the issue "I climbed up a building" just says "I'm a prat who likes endangering myself and other people".

What's wrong with climbing a tall building if you have the equipment and know what you are doing? Of course one's message gets lost in the medium, but we all gotta have a message anyway, don't we?

how does this help?

Tying yourself to a drilling rig, throwing yourself under trucks carrying Arctic oil ... that's the sort of insane stunt that draw attention to the issue "I climbed up a building" just says "I'm a prat who likes endangering myself and other people".

I wasn't thinking about the issue until now and I bet you wern't either.

And I'd hardly call climbing with saftey ropes endangering oneself and it certainly wasnt endangering others.

how does this help?

Greenpeace has been working on a 'Save the Arctic' campaign for quite some time now. I believe they have more than 3 million people who have signed a petition to stop drilling the Arctic. I dont really care much for their tactics. However, I do believe that they are trying to do something good and if they want to climb a building to call attention to the issues in the Arctic, I dont see why not. These women are obviously trained climbers. I believe that an organization like Greenpeace can try and make a difference and although it benefits us all, the least I can do is not look down on them.

how does this help?

The media won't report on six protesters standing on the street holding signs. That's how climbing the building helps.

Is that the face of someone getting arrested? Just awesome.

article-2360015-1AC5584C000005DC-733_634x375.jpg

• Like 1

A Greenpeace activist today reached the top of Britain's tallest building after climbing for more than 15 hours in a protest against drilling in the Arctic.

She was one of six women who evaded security guards to scale the 72-storey Shard in central London early this morning. The six have now been arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass, according to the Metropolitan Police.

They said their action was intended to put Shell and other oil companies in the spotlight.

That kinda misses the point: in fact, it misses the point by a country mile. Publicity is the point

• Like 1

These greenpeace dudes really need to get a life -_-

I wasn't thinking about the issue until now and I bet you wern't either.

And we're still not talking about the issue, we're talking about some nitwit who climbed up a building.