Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How hard is it to leave a religion?

Beckys_Mom

Leah Remini, the star of "King of Queens," has reportedly quit Scientology.

According to the New York Post, Remini was subjected to "years of 'interrogations' and 'thought modifications'" after she questioned Scientology leader David Miscavige. A source told the Post that the church questioned Remini's family and "blacklisted" her before she quit. http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

------------------------------------------------------------

After reading that, I came across this article below..

Leaving Scientology..A guide to help people who are wanting to leave... There is so much in there telling them who they can talk to etc... Below, is just one of the instructions listed, the page has lots more, which can be read at the bottom of this post ...

How to leave

These sections are written by an ex-Scientologist.

If you've come to the decision that Scientology is not for you, and you're wondering how to get out, we're here to help. Many people who realize that they may have some serious doubts about Scientology doctrines and policies don't know where to go from there. Here are some pointers that ex-Scientologists have found helpful:

Remember that you're not a criminal. Although people who leave are painted as downtone, downstat, or worse, SPs, always remember that "what's true for you is true for you".

You may be called a traitor, coward, liar, or criminal. You may be told that you have CI, or that you need to get your O/Ws off. You may be told that your petty complaints are not as important as saving the Universe. You may be told that "leaving is not the correct action", and that the correct action is to "take responsibility" for the situation and handle the church's problems from the inside.

Your ethics are YOUR ETHICS. You are the only one that gets to decide whether you are "out-ethics" or not.

Well, we're here to tell you that a desire to leave does not mean you have overts. It does not mean you're a traitor or a criminal. It does not mean you're a coward.

What it means is that you are choosing your own way, and keeping your integrity in. And that is a brave, brave thing to do.

Then there is a guide telling you what to do, followed by stories of people who left.....Moves on to - People who can help.... To read more go here - > http://leavescientol...blogspot.co.uk/

---------------------------------------

The reason why I am posting this, is because I never knew that some religions can be hard to leave.

I left Christianity, and no one bothered me, I wasn't thrown any questions from my fellow Christians at home ( well apart from my mother nagging me ) nor was I blacklisted, integrated or any trouble towards me.. I was FREE to leave in peace...My friends at home didn't care... So when I read things like this, about Scientology, I think WOW that's just crazy biscuits.. I have a programme / documentary called - Scientologists at war..recorded on my Sky planner, I must watch this to see what's going on with this religion...

My question is - Are there any other religions that would be hard to leave, or perhaps one that would make life uneasy and hard for ex members?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Islam, Jehovah Witness, the people who run around with horses I can't remember what you call them. Any that ostracizes you when you leave. I can't imagine ostracizing my own child, but people do it.

• Like 2

Islam, Jehovah Witness, the people who run around with horses I can't remember what you call them. Any that ostracizes you when you leave. I can't imagine ostracizing my own child, but people do it.

I don't understand why they do this? ....To tell you the truth, this sort of thing never entered my head.. Perhaps because I was free to leave Christianity and not bothered by anyone over it, I felt anyone was free to leave whatever faith they once belonged to...

I mean, its a path you chose, it's your life, why would you have to justify your reasons to leave to anyone?

I never thought of religion as a hard thing to leave until I started reading stories about the Scientologists and Islam. I just stopped going to church and no one bothered me. If you don't want to be part of it I don't see why they should care so much.

• Like 1

I never thought of religion as a hard thing to leave until I started reading stories about the Scientologists and Islam. I just stopped going to church and no one bothered me. If you don't want to be part of it I don't see why they should care so much.

I know, many of them will bug the life out of you to join them, hoping you will make the decision and do so... But fret and make it uneasy if you want to leave?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Difficult beyond difficult. It's more to do with it than these archaic laws and banishment. Abandoning a religious identity behind (especially if you were a devout believer at one point) is like abandoning your own identity, because religion isn't always kept as a separate medium of alternative lifestyle; it becomes ingrained in your sociocultural life and identity. Loosing all ties from it can be extremely difficult, and not to even mention the 'nonacceptance' part.

• Like 1

Leaving Islam can cost you your head.

http://news.bbc.co.u...sia/4850080.stm

So I see...

Then you have this guy..A Muslim who's ancestors were friends with Muhammed... He has an NDE...Sees Jesus and converts to Christianity...Check it out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CYfRSBXP10

I have heard of other Muslims converting over to Christianity over here, but they do so on the quiet, it's usually kept low key...

Others who claim to have found the lord, will gladly show it, and not fear doing so, just the same as the ex Christians who don't have fear in leaving...

• Like 1

So I see...

Then you have this guy..A Muslim who's ancestors were friends with Muhammed... He has an NDE...Sees Jesus and converts to Christianity...Check it out..

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CYfRSBXP10[/media]

I have heard of other Muslims converting over to Christianity over here, but they do so on the quiet, it's usually kept low key...

Others who claim to have found the lord, will gladly show it, and not fear doing so, just the same as the ex Christians who don't have fear in leaving...

Islam's faith is bound up with the political sturcture, so to leave Islam it is a threat to the common good, or thought of that way. Just like in my church, the Catholic church back in the day when political power and church were joined at the hip, people were killed who left, burned etc. A cult, is different, a small group against the world, everyone outside mistaken, wrong and lost.....Westboro Bapt is the Clhristian side of this problem, a rather large one.

Lots of Mulsims are becoming Christians without being told about it, it seems that Jesus is going to them......we will see if this is true or not....

peace

mark

• Like 1

My question is - Are there any other religions that would be hard to leave, or perhaps one that would make life uneasy and hard for ex members?

I don´t know if that was a trick a question, but e.g. islam is IMPOSSIBLE to leave. The Shariah punishment for leaving islam is death. I´d say that counts as "hard to leave".

That said, every cult is of course hard to leave, even if they don´t enforce membership that drastically.

Edited by Zaphod222

So I see...

Yeah. Under the protection of infidel secular law. Big deal. Now can you find an example of a living apostate in an islamic country?

............................................................................................... no, I didn´t think so either.

And you can bet your behind that even this guy in the West is receiving serious death threats.

Edited by Zaphod222

I don´t know if that was a trick a question

What ever would give you that idea? Hardly, since we know some are easy to leave ( as noted ) and some are a lot harder...Nothing tricky about it...

but e.g. islam is IMPOSSIBLE to leave. The Shariah punishment for leaving islam is death. I´d say that counts as "hard to leave".

No way? I wouldn't have known this if you weren't here...So glad you came along to share this, death highlighted AND underlined, must be serious business then eh?.( Despite the fact it was already pointed out earlier by someone else, and common knowledge by many ) ...So............ its hard to leave Islam then?

Yeah. Under the protection of infidel secular law. Big deal.Now can you find an example of a living apostate in an islamic country?

............................................................................................... no, I didn´t think so either.

Did someone put sandpaper on your toilet seat this morning? What's up with the in your face attitude? Calm yourself down, take a bite of chocolate and a deep breath... I don't get the ask a question and answer it yourself thing you have going on mixed with the attitude...The thread is asking people a straight forward question about faith / religions what ones are hard to leave, no need for you to get that excited lol

Whatever you do, never start up your own brand of religion, if that's how you tackle a simple straightforward question, I'd hate to see what you would do if anyone dared to leave your faith.. .Ohhh my lol :lol:

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

No way? I wouldn't have known this if you weren't here...So glad you came along to share this, death highlighted AND underlined, must be serious business then eh?.( Despite the fact it was already pointed out earlier by someone else, and common knowledge by many ) ...So............ its hard to leave Islam then?

Yes, it is hard. I call punishment by death hard.

In fact, as hard as it gets...

And I an glad that I could amuse you, although I fail to see what exactly you find funny about killing people for leaving a cult.

Somehow, I think you would have a different perspective, if you tried to be apostate in a country with islamic law. And yes, you are female, that is an additional nice twist.

Edited by Zaphod222

Yes, it is hard. I call punishment by death hard.

Are you sure? Gee you make it so final lol

And I an glad that I could amuse you, although I fail to see what exactly you find funny about killing people for leaving a cult.

Yes, the in my face attitude you took straight away to a simple question, was amusing.. Anyone who gets all fired up over something that is simple,is amusing...Nothing to do with people being killed for leaving a religion or a cult, just your attitude.. It is far better to use humour towards anyone who throws a fit of attitude, than it would be to react in the same way...Try it sometime, now there IS a challenge lol

Somehow, I think you would have a different perspective, if you tried to be apostate in a country with islamic law. And yes, you are female, that is an additional nice twist.

Try telling me something......I don't know?....... Before you entered the thread, someone already made a short point of it, and it is common knowledge...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

http://biblehub.com/isaiah/1-28.htm

It's in the old testament too.

But Christianity as a whole, do not in any way practice it in the literal sense.. .You can leave Christianity without fear...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Lots of Mulsims are becoming Christians without being told about it, it seems that Jesus is going to them......we will see if this is true or not....

I just chalk this down to the individual. It can differ for so many... I won't comment on NDE's, I have never had one, nor would I want one..Who would want to be in a near death state? ... I like my life and faith as I have it, each to their own..

• Like 1

Personally, I found leaving Christianity surprisingly easy in the end. Even with my parents; I simply told them I wasn't going to Church anymore and they accepted it. Now I'm able to gradually explain where my spiritual development is taking me. It's a good time.

I was a Jehovah's witness and I left without anybody saying anything about it, so I don't know what witnesses you have met but there not all like that. Scientology seems more like a cult to me than a religion.

Scientology seems more like a cult to me than a religion.

It strikes me as a cult too, but they call it a religion ..Then again I can barely tell the difference between cults and some religions..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

With the cults like scientology, it can be extremely difficult because they want the ducats you bring in.

For religions like Islam, which proclaims itself as the "one true faith", it is potentially embarrassing to have folk leave the religion. Embarrassing as in trying to explain why it's followers want to desert the faith if it is the one path to god. By making the punishment death, you really discourage any free thought on the part of the faithful.

Says a lot to me about the nature of the religion that practices this.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on both the religion and the person's own nature and independent strength of character. But, given that religion only exists in a person's heart and mind, no one can force another to retain a religious belief, even where or if, they can force them to observe the practices of a religion.

A person who needs the validation of others is more likely to remain in a religion, whereas someone who dislikes being controlled is more likely to leave. It also depends on priorities and attachments. My 16 year old niece left home last week because her mother questioned why she had skipped school. Her feeling of independence was stronger than even family ties. In the first week she badly cut her finger and got very ill on her own cooking. She has no independent living skills at all. She had no home and couch surfed with friends. Yet it was more important for her to be free of even the lightest control than to have security, a roof over her head, good food and a family which loved her enough to be worried about her.

She would certainly have had no trouble leaving her family if they tried to control her religiously, but others might stick with family for a variety of reasons, even if they disagreed with their religion..

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

It strikes me as a cult too, but they call it a religion ..Then again I can barely tell the difference between cults and some religions..

Cults generally have some sort of drug involved and they try and keep most outsiders out so that the only influences you have is the cult. Most cults iv read about use violence and fear against people that try and leave, but I always thought Scientology was very suspicious. I also saw somewhere that if you say your a religion you can get out of paying taxes, the religion can not the people

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x
  • Like 1

I can not tell the difference at all, and I have yet to hear a convincing explanation of what the difference is supposed to be. Generally, the rule seems to be: Once the cult gets big enough, we consider it a "religion". But what is the magic number? No one has to me yet.

Personally, I found leaving Christianity surprisingly easy in the end. Even with my parents; I simply told them I wasn't going to Church anymore and they accepted it. Now I'm able to gradually explain where my spiritual development is taking me. It's a good time.

Yep, that is why I respect Christianity. They have, by and large, managed to purge the insanity of the old books and create a mellow doctrine which is compatible with modernity. Of course, a period of scathing criticism during the age of enlightenment helped. If all religions were like that, we would not have a problem.

That is why I am always upset when fellow atheists beat up on Christianity, while ignoring the really virulent religions out there, who pose a real threat to our modernity. It is alike taking candies from babies.