Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plan to charge children for bullying

Black Red Devil

CHILDREN as young as 10 could be criminally charged as part of a radical proposal to overhaul Australia's approach to bullying.

A symposium organised by the National Centre Against Bullying (NCAB) and Australian Federal Police will next week consider how laws should be strengthened to fight bullying and cyberbullying.

It's hoped that, as a result of its recommendations, Australia will become the first country in the world to have national laws to address bullying.

Link

Bullying is an issue but this isn't the solution. Personally, I think it's crazy. The more you keep kids away from Laws and criminal charges, the better.

nah, you charge mum and dad. As they're the source of the behaviour.

• Like 6

I agree with you Lilly, a schools hands are pretty much tied anymore. Their afraid they will be sued and would probably be the ones that went to jail if they did too much.

However I have heard of very young kids murdering someone so I'm not entirely against this. Some kids go way too far with their bullying. Some of these kids just keep after other kids until the kid that is being bullied takes their life. Can't just let it go.

I do think the police should talk to the parents the first time before they arrest the kid and see if the parents can help. I don't think it should be a criminal charge just because you told someone off or called them a name once.

• Like 3

Supporting the criminalization of violence here.

Supporting the criminalization of violence here.

As young as 10?

Yes lets criminalize ten year olds...because everyone was a completely rational logical human being entirely aware of how they act at that age :whistle:

• Like 2

As young as 10?

It would be a mistake to certify them as adults but the juvenile justice system is an adequate forum to address violence committed by minors.

Traditional approaches to bullying failed in the past. Charge them like the little criminals they are. Violence has no place in society especially when heaped on children.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

I agree with you Lilly, a schools hands are pretty much tied anymore. Their afraid they will be sued and would probably be the ones that went to jail if they did too much.

However I have heard of very young kids murdering someone so I'm not entirely against this. Some kids go way too far with their bullying. Some of these kids just keep after other kids until the kid that is being bullied takes their life. Can't just let it go.

I do think the police should talk to the parents the first time before they arrest the kid and see if the parents can help. I don't think it should be a criminal charge just because you told someone off or called them a name once.

This is going to sound blasphemous to some. BUT most of the time no one kills themselves just because they get bullied at school. They kill themselves when they get bullyed at school and have a messed up home life, its when there is no escape and both sucks..

When I was young schools could punish kids for their bad behaviour. You could get hours of detention and various public punishments...or even be sent to a 'reform school'. Nowadays the schools can't do much of anything. Instead of putting children into the adult legal system I think we should just give schools back the power necessary to deal with the problem kids.

I 100 percent agree with this :yes:

It would be a mistake to certify them as adults but the juvenile justice system is an adequate forum to address violence committed by minors.

Traditional approaches to bullying failed in the past. Charge them like the little criminals they are. Violence has no place in society especially when heaped on children.

Personally I see it more as a case of "two wrongs don't make a right". While the suggested action might help the bullied, it may scar the bully and because they're 10 year old kids, we're not really talking about punishing criminals are we?

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 4

Part of the problem is we are trying to make boys into girls. Let boys be boys. Let boys play cowboy and indians, I have never seen a finger gun go off, have any of you. Let girls be girls, this would mean some of the girls will be tomboys. I wounder if any of the younger group even knows what that is.

• Like 2

Kids need to learn there are repercussions for their actions. We go from one extreme to the next. Kids aren't entitled to do what they want just because they are born ( some adults still haven't learnt this). I taught my daughter rules and what happens when rules are broken. There are so many kids her age that haven't been taught this.

• Like 3

That's not the issue, daneilost. I wasn't bullied at school because I wasn't masculine enough. That had nothing to do with it. I was different, I didn't partake in their cliques, I thought for myself. That alone is enough to paint you as a target. All I wanted to do was be peaceful and learn and bullies ruined it for me. I didn't fight back because I didn't want to lower myself to their level, and the school was supposed to protect us from violence. But I was beaten up while a whole crowd of kids stood around about ten metres away from a teacher, who only turned around and said anything when I shouted "**** off!". And that was to tell me off for swearing. In fact I think I got into more trouble wagging school to avoid these A-holes than they ever did for being violent and abusive. Public Schools are conformist factories, and it's obvious to me from my experience that they see non-conformity as a worse sin than bullying. I can never prove it, but I believe that they tolerate bullies because they keep the non-conformist kids in line.

And it's not a matter of 'sissification' or men aren't men any more. I played those same cowboy and indian games. I was playing Robo-Cop when I was about 7 years old, nowadays a 7 year old would never be shown such a violent movie. But it didn't make me violent. My parents split when I was twelve and that didn't make me violent either. I don't know what's happening with these bullies to make them violent, but I know most of them are destined for prison anyway so you might as well put them there before they cause too much harm to the decent kids. Either that or send them to the army. Lord knows the ADF needs more cannon fodder.

• Like 3

Except its part of human - animal - nature, bullying is (not saying its right). It's something almost every single child will do at some time in their life while growing up... so unless you want 95% + of all children "in jail", your system won't work.

• Like 3

When I was young schools could punish kids for their bad behaviour. You could get hours of detention and various public punishments...or even be sent to a 'reform school'. Nowadays the schools can't do much of anything. Instead of putting children into the adult legal system I think we should just give schools back the power necessary to deal with the problem kids.

We had this.........

HickoryWHoles.jpg

And it worked.........

And parents could do this..........

spanking-300x246.jpg

And it worked........

• Like 4

Because you teach kids not to be violent by being violent towards them.

It is called discipline, and it worked for centuries, once the pussification of America started, and " time outs " were the in thing, and no spanking allowed.......Well, look at kids today, and past couple of decades.....

Pretty obvious.

Certain actions used to mean, a bad outcome......Not anymore.......No lessons to be learned anymore.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 4

Except its part of human - animal - nature, bullying is (not saying its right). It's something almost every single child will do at some time in their life while growing up... so unless you want 95% + of all children "in jail", your system won't work.

Precisely! And as with almost every situation involving the behavior of children, it is the parents who should be liable because THEY are responsible for how those children are taught (or not) to behave. The only exception I have for this rule is when the government steps in and refuses to allow the parent to discipline (reasonably) their children. If a child is brutalizing another child physically or mentally then that child's parents should be made aware and allowed to discipline them accordingly. If the child continues on the path THEN other steps can be considered. But charging a 10 year old with a crime for this is senseless.
  • Like 1

I don't think you can chalk up 'kids these days' to a decline in spanking. Kids have always been a pain to the older generations. Do you think kids these days are worse than the Baby Boomers were as kids?

I can only speak from my own experience, but I was more afraid of being lectured by my father than hit by him. He had a way of standing over me and telling me calmly, in a deep voice, that what I did was wrong and that he was disappointed. A smack should not be punishment in itself, it should be reinforcement for such a lecture. The problems of today's youth can't be summed up with 'not enough hitting'. A stable household with a father who doesn't abandon his children, or stay and abuse them, generally produces pretty well-behaved kids.

• Like 2

I don't think you can chalk up 'kids these days' to a decline in spanking. Kids have always been a pain to the older generations. Do you think kids these days are worse than the Baby Boomers were as kids?

I can only speak from my own experience, but I was more afraid of being lectured by my father than hit by him. He had a way of standing over me and telling me calmly, in a deep voice, that what I did was wrong and that he was disappointed. A smack should not be punishment in itself, it should be reinforcement for such a lecture. The problems of today's youth can't be summed up with 'not enough hitting'. A stable household with a father who doesn't abandon his children, or stay and abuse them, generally produces pretty well-behaved kids.

I am close to baby boomers....Born in 66, wife born in 64. When we were kids, if I did something real bad, a neighbors parent would discipline me. And same would go for my friends. And I do not mean using paddles, but a good spanking worked. We held doors for people, we were respectful and polite. Yes, we did stupid things, but not like I see now.

I have a friend that told his 14 year old son he was not to old to spank, after he was found cutting school ( after time outs and groundings )..His son said " you can't do that ", in a loud and disrespectful way.....Well, he put him over his knees and smacked him once, not even real hard.....His son, was not hurt, did not cry, but got p***ed.

What did he do?....He rode his bike to the Police station and told them. His Dad was arrested for child abuse, and now has it on his record. Kids today tell adults all the time " you can't touch me ".....I have had little punk teenagers say this to me, after being or saying rude crap to my daughter, then telling me to my face to " **** off "......I would never have backed talk an adult.

Dr. Spock had it all wrong if you ask me......He screwed it all up.

• Like 1

oh, give me a break. violence doesn't encourage good behavior. it might get you obedience through fear, but that's the worst kind of obedience. i hate on this whole false nostalgia for corporal punishment. you want personal anecdotes? my sisters and i were never, ever hit or spanked as children, and we turned out just fine! scarily fine, my sisters still refuse to even swear, because our parents simply told us that we don't do that. i'm the bad apple in that regard, heh.

as for the article itself, while i don't know that i agree with jail time... it seems the main goal is to provide a legal definition for bullying. that seems like a worthwile goal. right now it seems that there's no exact method for dealing with cases of bullying, which makes it hard to approach.

i wasn't bullied too much in school, but i saw plenty of it, and some of it was so mind-numblingly cruel that it still makes me mad.

• Like 2

Not surprising that some who are weak on bullying of children would also be for violence against them in other forms such as corporal punishment.

oh, give me a break. violence doesn't encourage good behavior. it might get you obedience through fear, but that's the worst kind of obedience. i hate on this whole false nostalgia for corporal punishment. you want personal anecdotes? my sisters and i were never, ever hit or spanked as children, and we turned out just fine! scarily fine, my sisters still refuse to even swear, because our parents simply told us that we don't do that. i'm the bad apple in that regard, heh.

as for the article itself, while i don't know that i agree with jail time... it seems the main goal is to provide a legal definition for bullying. that seems like a worthwile goal. right now it seems that there's no exact method for dealing with cases of bullying, which makes it hard to approach.

i wasn't bullied too much in school, but i saw plenty of it, and some of it was so mind-numblingly cruel that it still makes me mad.

Just to offer clarification, "Justice Nicholson said the offence would mean children as young as 10 could be charged but that it would not lead to young people being jailed."

• Like 1

oh, give me a break. violence doesn't encourage good behavior. it might get you obedience through fear, but that's the worst kind of obedience.

Spanking a kid on his ass is not violence. This is the Pussification of America, right here.

Slapping them in the face, yes, not good....A spanking?...Give me a damn break, violence, what a joke.

It is obedience through respect, not fear.

Kids today, and the last 2 to 3 decades have no idea what " consequences " are, not at all......

I was spanked, even had a brush broke on my ass a few times. I am now 47 years old, and old enough to know, and to say, it was not violence, I was not afraid of my parents, and they were not violent people. Hell, I had it easier then other kids, and their parents did not beat them either.

I can tell you one thing, I did not take money from my dads wallet a second time, because I did not want that again. It was not fear, it was more " consequence ", and it reenforced how stupid I was to do it.

Now, if I had been put in a corner for 3 minutes in a time out, I would have laughed....Grounded in my room for the weekend, kind of sucks, but a spanking on top of that seals the deal.

But hey, lets all tell our kids how to be good and bad, and explain to them in a calm nice fashion ( do not want to hurt their feelings now ) that hitting another kid at school is not good to do, and to please not do it again.......Go ahead, seems to be working great.

To add, I did not see bullying that I read about today. Teachers put a stop to things right away......Do that today, and you have a potential lawsuit for about any off the wall bull****. Have to step away, let the parents take care of it........A time out will suffice...... :no: