Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stone Age Britons: first to invent a calendar

Still Waters

Their stone tools may have been simple and their dwellings made from simple straw huts, but ancient Britons were in fact ahead of the times - literally - when it came to the world's first ever calendar.

That's the claim of archaeologists who believe they have found evidence of a giant 'year clock' capable of tracking lunar months and the changing seasons in a field near Banchory in Aberdeenshire.

Dating back 10,000 years, it is twice the age of time-keeping systems created by the ancient Mesopotamians, which were thought to be the world's oldest.

http://www.dailymail...-rocks-pit.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrooma

• spud the mackem

• Still Waters

• No Censorship

Now this will be quite startling if their report tomorrow, can substantiate the claims! It predates by a significant margin, the earliest verifiable calendar and raises lots of questions as to why and how this ability disappeared later, or no artifacts are extant.

Now this will be quite startling if their report tomorrow, can substantiate the claims! It predates by a significant margin, the earliest verifiable calendar and raises lots of questions as to why and how this ability disappeared later, or no artifacts are extant.

The error here is the claim that calendars only go as far back as Babylonians. The calendar was fortuitous as soon as agriculture started taking hold outside Africa. There are several examples of stone age calendars. The earliest vestiges we have of large scale agriculture dates from 11,000 years ago in the Jordan valley, impossible without a calendar of whatever form.

The error here is the claim that calendars only go as far back as Babylonians. The calendar was fortuitous as soon as agriculture started taking hold outside Africa. There are several examples of stone age calendars. The earliest vestiges we have of large scale agriculture dates from 11,000 years ago in the Jordan valley, impossible without a calendar of whatever form.

calendars predate agriculture by millennia QM. they've been found dating back 17,000yrs in european caves, and a "maybe" one carved into bone that could date from 50,000yrs ago.

can't use a lunar calendar for farming.....

everything worth inventing was invented by the scots.....

Haha,does that include the Wheel,or just the whisky.

That was the first recorded case of a DWI. A drunk Angus rolled into Loch Ness, a mistake he never made again.

not really a whisky fan spud.

i mean yeah, i'll drink it, if there's no swarfega left, or windolene, but to me whisky tastes like a tramp's mattress!!

not really a whisky fan spud.

i mean yeah, i'll drink it, if there's no swarfega left, or windolene, but to me whisky tastes like a tramp's mattress!!

HAHA get yourself a Burgher instead of trying to eat a tramps mattress,Slainte p.s. I've heard of Meths strained thru a loaf,but there was no lime juice.