Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alternate/Fictional Universes

ZeroZero

I didn't know exactly where to place this so I thought this would fit best.

Does anyone think it's possible that in an other dimension or universe, our works of fiction are real? Maybe there's a world where the events of Harry Potter took place exactly as J.K. Rowling wrote them, or your favorite video game world is real. Is it possible, that that everything in an other universe looks like what we know to be animated? Is there a world where Looney Tunes characters roam freely and preform physics shattering stunts? It's all just something I like to think about.

It is.....possible.

Try reading Robert Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast", or any of Micheal Moorcock's Eternal Champion books. In fact, I think it was he who coined the term "multiverse".

And welcome to UM!

Edited by JMPD1
  • Like 3

No I don't think it is possible. Multiverse does not mean everything is possible.

• Like 1

Until we can disprove it, it is a possibilty. Theoretically, it is possible.

• Like 1

Sure..I'd love it if there was a possibility that the worlds we see in our fiction represent a reality elsewhere.

However so far there is nothing to suggest this scenario is real.

But then again the universe is infinite so..maybe.

But again, liking an idea doesn't necessarily make it true.

• Like 1

i doubt it, though i have no science background whatsoever. it's a neat idea, though

although... if we take it as true, would it be that we are literally creating universes as we imagine them, or that every possible imagined universe existed before it was even imagined? and if it's the first, are some science fiction authors guilty of genocide?

• Like 1

If the universe or the multiverse is populated with enough universes, I suppose this could happen. I've always thought that there is a probability that my Alien fictional characters do exist somewhere. I don't know where I got the idea of them from, or why I draw them as they are, except that perhaps every consciousness is connected in some way.

Perhaps there is some afinity between myself and these (real/fictional) Aliens, and this is the reason the thought of them came into my mind.

• Like 1

Does anyone think it's possible that in an other dimension or universe, our works of fiction are real? Maybe there's a world where the events of Harry Potter took place exactly as J.K. Rowling wrote them, or your favorite video game world is real. Is it possible, that that everything in an other universe looks like what we know to be animated? Is there a world where Looney Tunes characters roam freely and preform physics shattering stunts? It's all just something I like to think about.

Some metaphysical/philosophical ideas say that if something is thought up, or imagined, it has been created. In this case, infinite things exist once created, all with their own associated worlds. In one way, we already know this is true. The world was made in someone's mind, and exists there whenever someone thinks of it, or reads about it.

The interesting thing, though, if that is correct, is that each person has their own interpretation of that imaginary world, and will then create their own version of it. Infinite worlds all based on one original world. This means all have their own creation of the world, and maybe all of those collectively form a version of that world.

This is kind of how I imagine this world being constantly created. Infinite personal versions of a world, all correct and true in their own right, but all forming to make a collective version of a world: which is the one we all know and love/hate, depending on your outlook.

Edited by _Only

Until we can disprove it, it is a possibilty. Theoretically, it is possible.

Ideas aren't enough to be theoretical.

Big fan of "Through the Wormhole" here and as anyone who watches the show has seen, conventional wisdom now is that there may be more than one universe out there, if you can imagine that! I have heard from other sources now too the same thinking. Time will tell I guess.

Perhaps we are fictional characters created in some Alien mind.

Perhaps we are fictional characters created in some Alien mind.

a la some Matrix type scenario??? :tu:

I want to go to the Universe where Star Trek is real.

• Like 2

There is, based on what I read here and there, a theory that implies that all minds and worlds are somehow connected to one another like some sort of huge spider web. It had been theorized that our ideas are at least in part influenced by it all.

Furthermore I recall reading something that our particular affinities may act as a sort of beacon that attracts certain "frequencies" pertaining to any worlds that harbor beings and conditions that are compatible.

Like I said, it is just a theory.

It would be nice if the idea were true or held at least some morsel of merit then I wouldn't feel quite so lonely but then again, liking an idea doesn't make it true.

I don't.

In the Star Trek universe Earth is currently struggling to recover from the Eugenics War of the mid-1990's and is just 13 years away from World War III, which will result in the deaths of 600 million people.

• Like 2

Dang I forgot about that. KHAN!!!!!

Maybe it would be the alternate "mirror" Star Trek universe......

that's the problem with those science fiction universes though. all of those big, dramatic events that are such fun to read about or watch would be pretty horrifying to actually live through!

you think, oh, star wars, yeah! i'd totally want to be a jedi! but then, bam! you're on alderaan about two minutes before the guy says "energize the demolition beam". nothing but space dust.

i may be getting a bit off topic

that's the problem with those science fiction universes though. all of those big, dramatic events that are such fun to read about or watch would be pretty horrifying to actually live through!

I've heard it said that the best science fiction is not a prediction of how the future could be but a warning of how it could be.

• Like 2

Hmmmmm if there are enough universes maybe but highly unlikely. The problem here is that if nature is deterministic then all events are preordained, and not all things that can physically exist will.

Example. There is nothing in physics stopping a giant solid gold planet from existing. But there is nothing in nature that we kniw of that leads to one existing. So even though a giant solid gold planet can exist there probably is not one anywhere in all of the multiverse unless some super intelligence decides to make one.

A work of fiction to be a reality... Well there simply may not be a vector for those circumstances to arise in that particular way. Now I would imagine more realistic fictions may come very very close. But the minute details will not be the same.

Hmmmmm if there are enough universes maybe but highly unlikely. The problem here is that if nature is deterministic then all events are preordained, and not all things that can physically exist will.

Example. There is nothing in physics stopping a giant solid gold planet from existing. But there is nothing in nature that we kniw of that leads to one existing. So even though a giant solid gold planet can exist there probably is not one anywhere in all of the multiverse unless some super intelligence decides to make one.

A work of fiction to be a reality... Well there simply may not be a vector for those circumstances to arise in that particular way. Now I would imagine more realistic fictions may come very very close. But the minute details will not be the same.

Stranger things have happened....just ask Waspie

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=251335

10 X Moon Masses of gold COULD coalesce into one decent sized "Wanderer"

Edited by keithisco

Redshirts by John Scalzi is basically that kind of story.

Ensigns on the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid notice that away teams involving the captain, science officer, and medical officer always result in the death of at least one low ranking crew member. The higher ranked people might get injured or exposed to some strange disease but they're always saved at the last minute. They finally realize they're fictional characters on a badly written science fiction series that were brought to life in an alternate universe by the act of writing and filming the show. The characters figure that out about 100 pages in and it's hinted at before then so I'm not ruining much. It's an entertaining read.

Stranger things have happened....just ask Waspie

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=251335

10 X Moon Masses of gold COULD coalesce into one decent sized "Wanderer"

Cool.... It would seem that maybe it is possible. A planet sized diamond is also possible. But it could not be solid gold without anything in it. Still intriguing. I would love to have a car sized chunk if it. A golden meteorite would be awesome.

if the judeo christian god is real in one of them, wouldnt he be able to go into the realities where he is not. and as its impossible to imagine a god that is more powerfull as he is already described as being beyond mortal comprehension and being over all gods this christian god must exist.

if there is a god in one of them, not that i doubt hes already in this one 0.0