Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Homeless" People with Cardboard Signs

pallidin

I would think that many who find themselves in that position, did not plan it and want out. Some like panhandling, others may be mentally ill. I give outside the city at a few spots. I do this because it would have an adverse affect on me if I always passed others by who need help. I may be there one day. However, I understand those who don't give. I think most people help out in other ways, perhaps more time consuming.

peace

mark

No most people don't, they for one reason or another can't pay rent. I did for a year, we wanted to save some money and decided to camp for a year. We had a home in a way. It was a tent, but I had a job. I had a hard time talking the wife into getting a place. I didn't want to deal with a baby in a tent. That was how humans use to live and some still do, though.

I will not give organizations due the abuse of the 'needy'. If you can afford tailor made cigarettes, wth are you doing in a food bank line? Quit being so selfish and quite smoking so you can buy groceries for your kids. I did see a guy who was desperate and begging outside the mall. It was a hot day so I went into the grocery store and bought him a sandwich and a big bottle of water. I thought he was going to cry. He hadn't had food for a couple of days. He thanked me over and over- that was someone who really needed help and wasn't just looking for money to buy booze or cigs

Saw a guy try to buy smokes on the Oregon Trail ( oregon food stamps )....They would not, not matter how much he tried....

So, as we are leaving, we see him with a few cases of the generic soda, opening them one at a time, and emptying them out. In Oregon it is a 5 cent deposit per can or bottle, and the stores give that back when returned.

So, we waited, and I went in....

He got his money from the deposit, and bought smokes with it. I asked him why he was dumping all of that soda, he told me the truth.

He said, if they will not let me buy smokes with my food stamps, then I will find a way to get them. I bought the sodas with them, and turned the cans in. They would not take them full, I asked....

True story.....

Most people on food stamps are children, disabled or eldery.

My local paper did a story a few years ago on a family of these beggars. They weren't homeless, instead simply said it was the easiest way for them to make money and not have to pay taxes. One of the family members would drive the 3 others to different exit ramps around town with their "homeless, please help" signs. They all shared a dog because they said that they found that they could get more "donations" if they had a pet with them. Also said that if the weather was bad, people would give them more. Between the 3 of them, they claimed to make anywhere from $100-$300 a day by begging. Oh, and the mom and dad were also pulling in disability and welfare. I don't remember the exact numbers but they were pulling in more than I was each month! The were undeterred by their lack of honesty and their milking of people's generosity.

I haven't given to a street beggar since but I WILL give them directions to the local soup kitchen and Rescue Mission if they need a hot meal and a cot. And all my clothing donations go to the Rescue Mission. They help those truly in need in my town.

To begin, I'm all for giving to the truly poor and disadvantaged. Not that I've done it often, but a few times.

Where I live I see people, usually the exact same people, at street corners such as at Walmart with a cardboard sign with some brief "written-on-the-sign" story and asking for help(sometimes work, but usually money)

This makes me mad, because I know there are people truly in need of help, and I also know there are lazy scammers. These day's I just can't tell the differance, though maybe it's always been that way.

Anyway, my point is that I feel reluctant to hand money(a couple bucks) over to these cardboard carriers because I get the sense that I am being scammed.

Yet, I feel bad for some of those that I pass by, giving nothing, that might truly need help, because I AM NOW JADED towards ALL the cardboard carriers.

Any thoughts?

Most are not scamming. The money you give may go to booze or drugs, but contrary to the urban legend, these people are usually not driving away in nice cars. Compassion comes in many forms. Sometimes it's just about making an addicts day a little better and providing some relief.

• Like 3

An addicts day only gets better when they get a fix. Why help kill themselves?

I used to work in the CBD of Sydney, and i'd usually leave at about 11pm to catch the last bus. And there are quite a few homeless people who will come ask for change, and i'd usually give them a dollar or two, it's not breaking the bank. But there was one guy, didn't look like an addict (not that you can always tell) but i'd seen him before and no one seemed to really give him anything. So i had just bought some chinese to take home and had a spare $10 on me so i gave it to him and the bloke nearly cried. Told me he likes to write songs and the only thing he had to give me in return was a pen he had. Obviously i told him, mate you keep writting your songs.

It's not always a scam, some people are just seriously down on their luck, made bad choices and lost everything. Just a simple gesture and the gratitude he showed for it, will stay with me.

• Like 1

Way I see it, better me given them a dollar, than getting that desprite that they end up hurting someone for it.

It is so much more complicated than that on many levels. Usually people at that point are not ever going to come clean and withdrawals are horribly painful, yet people still get righteous with them it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Usually I can tell which ones need it (I like to think so) and which ones are just scamming you, I give a dollar or two if I can but most of the time I don't carry bills or change just my debit card. I really hate the ones that make up stories about their cars breaking down (not sure if they count as homeless) or that they are on their way somewhere and ran out of money, I say "making up stories" because I test them, when they ask for five dollars or so for gas I always tell them to point to their car and I will use my debit car to put a dollar or two of gas, they always say "well...thanks anyways" because they wanted the money and were not in need at all, just lazy. Some of them approach me smoking a cigarette and texting on their phones and they still have the nerve to ask me for a dollar, no story or excuse just "you got a dollar", I say no and they leave mad, someone wearing better clothes than me and with the luxury of cell phones and cigs isn't getting anything from me. A few are aggressive and look high or drunk, I give them some change or a dollar but only because I feel like they won't like a no and think its safer for me and my friends or family members to not take the risk. Like some of you have stated, if I was homeless truly homeless, I would want some food or money not cigs.

Edited by AlucardXX

ll-homeless-sign_1.jpg

These men are providing a service - laughter - so I would be more inclined to give them money.

• Like 1

Its funny really, how people can get so upset by little things like beggars, in this case with cardboard signs. Yet those of you who live in the USA do you know how much of your tax money is spent on WAR?

The cost of U.S. wars since 2001, $1,474,575,812,349 as of 20.16 gmt 16th June 2013, it is rising at about $2000 a second!!!

Don’t forget “The International day of Peace” UTube 24Hr peace concert Sept 12st

• Like 2

We spend a ton on war and a ton on beggars who don't use cardboard signs. Both are irritating. Street beggars don't upset me though unless they don't take no for an answer.

Its funny really, how people can get so upset by little things like beggars, in this case with cardboard signs. Yet those of you who live in the USA do you know how much of your tax money is spent on WAR?

The cost of U.S. wars since 2001, $1,474,575,812,349 as of 20.16 gmt 16th June 2013, it is rising at about $2000 a second!!!

Don’t forget “The International day of Peace” UTube 24Hr peace concert Sept 12st

I know and it is a waste of life and money. War creates wealth for the firearm manufacturers. The more wars the more cash. I wish I knew how to put a stop to it. People get suck into doing the war making corporations biding and vote for their lackey's. They just get people to the other way with nonsense news and lies.

• Like 1

A little anecdote.

I was back packing Hawaii. I was visiting lahina for the day. I knew one of this group of guys was going to come up and ask for money. I prepared my fist. I also knew these were tropical beggars really just enjoying the tropical environment and tourist dollars for beer and other vices.

As he step in front if me I gave him the dirtiest look. He backed off and started to apologize ... I let him go for a few words then I let a big smile and pulled out my fist and ...... Gave him the $10 bill I had in it. Saying "hahaha I got you bro...have a cold one in me" .... He was laughing and all his buddies started cracking up. I asked to borrow their ukulele then I ripped out the song " yellow bird" a Hawaiian classic. They then became the ultimate source of information and told me about a camp ground about 15 mins away for $5 per night. I sleep that night 20ft from the ocean in my hammock tent and met some very amazing people.

No matter what you believe kindness always is the better option. For you and everyone else.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 4

I always give if I can. Sit and chat if I can as well. Food, drinks, cash, even just an ear if it's all I got at hand. You'd be surprised about the things you will learn, see, or even do. The world is filled with good people all who live different types of lifestyles by their own choices or by events they couldn't control. This just happens to be one that gets some of the worst people involved and they get the majority of the attention..

• Like 1