Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Some People More Than

Still Waters

You come in from a summer hike covered with itchy red mosquito bites, only to have your friends innocently proclaim that they don’t have any. Or you wake up from a night of camping to find your ankles and wrists aflame with bites, while your tentmates are unscathed.

You’re not alone. An estimated 20 percent of people, it turns out, are especially delicious for mosquitoes, and get bit more often on a consistent basis. And while scientists don’t yet have a cure for the ailment, other than preventing bites with insect repellent (which, we’ve recently discovered, some mosquitoes can become immune to over time), they do have a number of ideas regarding why some of us are more prone to bites than others. Here are some of the factors that could play a role:

http://blogs.smithso...re-than-others/

So Type O blood is the so called 'sweet blood'...

I went camping with a friend once, we had a couple of days off work so decided that's what we'd do. We didn't go too far from home as it was our first time sleeping outdoors and had two sets of anxious parents hoping we'd be ok.

Everything was going well, we found our campsite, my friend parked her car in the field and we started to put up our tent. Then I could feel myself getting bitten, (parking under a tree hadn't helped) but my friend seemed to be mostly unaffected. By the time our weekend was over I was covered from head to foot in itchy red blotches from my face to my feet, what a mess I was in.....and to top it all I forgot to pack my toothbrush! Happy days :D

• Like 3

and to top it all I forgot to pack my toothbrush! Happy days :D

Nice story, but are you suggesting mosquitoes are attracted to bad breath? ;)

are you suggesting mosquitoes are attracted to bad breath? ;)

they can't be chubb, on holiday in italy, my mum & sister were feasted upon mercilessly, while me & my dad weren't touched, and after a week of pizzas & (what the italians optimistically call) beer, we had breath that could cut through bank vaults!

• Like 1

they can't be chubb, on holiday in italy, my mum & sister were feasted upon mercilessly, while me & my dad weren't touched, and after a week of pizzas & (what the italians optimistically call) beer, we had breath that could cut through bank vaults!

Lol :)

I was just translating the data rather than making the claim. ;)

• Like 1

Interesting article. I'm one of the folks that skeeters normally ignore. And on the rare occasion I have been bit, I'm not allergic- no swelling or itching at all. But my poor hubby, skeeters love him.

In my case, there are two reasons. One, they can't find my blood. Two, I reaslly do have thick skin. But in general it is probable tate/smell

I have type o

Edited by danielost

Just a single 12-ounce bottle of beer can make you more attractive to the insects, one study found.

Wow, sure glad I don't limit myself to just one and don't drink it from a bottle. :whistle:

• Like 1

Unfortunately,I am one of the 20 per cent,and here in Northern Ontario they have a good feast on me every summer.I just have to suck it up, for me personally I take one antihistamine a day,which seems to reduce the itching for me.

May not work for everybody though.

Edited by shaddow134

Lol :)

I was just translating the data rather than making the claim. ;)

aren't you glad chubb, that we live in a country that's completely mozzy free?

i mean, to our right we have mainland europe, where the mozzies hunt in packs & carry flick-knives, and to our left you have the americas, where the skeeters are as big as dustbin lids & carry off untethered children.

but us, in the middle, are left to our own devices.

mind you, the mosquitos over here would have a hard time flying in wellies and a parka, umbrella in hand.....

;-)

• Like 1

Packageing a box of skitters to send to th ok. You do know they love water right.

• Like 1

aren't you glad chubb, that we live in a country that's completely mozzy free?

I don't think my other half agrees with this, she is a Mozzi Magnet.

i mean, to our right we have mainland europe, where the mozzies hunt in packs & carry flick-knives, and to our left you have the americas, where the skeeters are as big as dustbin lids & carry off untethered children.

but us, in the middle, are left to our own devices.

mind you, the mosquitos over here would have a hard time flying in wellies and a parka, umbrella in hand.....

;-)

God Bless our island.

I think they might have got in through that bloody tunnel... :whistle:

• Like 1

Packageing a box of skitters to send to th ok. You do know they love water right.

they love standing water Dan, and our water doesn't so much stand as usain bolt it down!

here in britain we have 'weather', everywhere else has a 'climate'

*sob*

:-)

• Like 1

I don't think my other half agrees with this, she is a Mozzi Magnet.

you live 'daan saaf' though chubb, here, 'oop norf' the mossies would get blood poisoning!

• Like 1

they love standing water Dan, and our water doesn't so much stand as usain bolt it down!

here in britain we have 'weather', everywhere else has a 'climate'

*sob*

Teehee, we have seasons here, two of them.. Construction and winter. Skeeters are out during construction season.

• Like 1

you live 'daan saaf' though chubb, here, 'oop norf' the mossies would get blood poisoning!

:lol: Didn't realise the great North South divide applied to mosquitoes... classic!

My wife used to be bitten by mosquitoes then when she was diagnosed with MS they seemed to leave her alone.

Whether its something to do with the MS I don't know.

• Like 1

They tend to leave me alone, probably for the fact that if they took my blood they'd die of alcohol poisoning, lol. But there is nothing more annoying than trying to fall asleep with a mozzy buzzing you.

• Like 3

I always thought they left me alone and went for others because of my lotion. Wonder if this works with ticks, they are more my problem.

Where I live we not only worry about them biting, we worry about how to get the saddle so we can break and ride them.

• Like 1

I was just out messing round under my oak, I kid you not, skeeters out there the size of quarters. They said this was their year to come out. The really big ones cycle about every 10 yrs. It is like being skewed by hummingbirds.

My wife used to be bitten by mosquitoes then when she was diagnosed with MS they seemed to leave her alone.

Whether its something to do with the MS I don't know.

I have MS they don't leave me alone. I just can't feel them bite on my legs that much.