Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study reveals six types of non-believers

Clarakore

Researchers at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga report that atheists are just as heterogenous of a group as people of faith, in a study done by doctoral student Christoper F. Silver and project manager Thomas J. Coleman III.

Many previous religious surveys placed people without religious beliefs into a catch-all category known as the "religious nones," but that oversimplifies the wide spectrum of opinions that fall into that group. The report idenfified six different groups of religious non-believers: Intellectual Atheist/Agnostics (IAA), Activist Atheist/Agnostics (AAA), Seeker Agnostics (SA), Antitheists, Non-theists and Ritual Atheist/Agnostics (RAA).

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Wow, what a bunch of rocket scientists.

Seeker agnostics were found to be the happiest and were also, "open to possibility when it comes to belief."

Anti-theist fell on the most angry and dogmatic end of the scale.

Any study that reveals variance and shows heterogeneity among a group does well especially by breaking the stereotypes that non-believers are just angry which is not true.

Our world can draw closer and believers can let go of some of their prejudices and dogmatic reluctance towards non-believers. Equally, any atheist who actually is angry can find other example to lessen that and release some of their dogmatism.

• Like 2

I do not identify with these labels. I belong to no groups. I need no such labels to identify me as to not believe in what I do not believe in. No identity required, just a simple thought process in critical thinking.

illogical research/study!

• Like 3

I do not identify with these labels. I belong to no groups. I need no such labels to identify me as to not believe in what I do not believe in. No identity required, just a simple thought process in critical thinking.

illogical research/study!

It took them 6000 years to figure out every atheist person is different.

Edited by HavocWing
  • Like 1

i'm not really a non-believer per se, i just don't take anything seriously enough to commit to something as involved as an organised religion. if others want to, then that's fine by me, but i'm not sure what category that would put me in?

there didn't seem to be a "meh/woohoo!" option.....

• Like 1

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Good grief. They receive research grants for disproving a nonsensical assumption like that?

Embarrassing.

Guess the climate change trough is not enough...

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 3

Why do people feel the need to put a label on everyone who is different, or has a different opinion/belief system than another..

Edited by krypter3
  • Like 2

What category would simply not caring if religion is true or not land me in?

• Like 2

How about the category of, 'heading for eternal damnation'! :yes:

• Like 1

Atheist are no different than anyone else, the ones I know are no more intelligent than anyone else, though they do want to be unique and special just as we all do. Some are ass holes, others very nice and respectiful, just ordinary folk and like human beings in other groups, once you get to know them, yes they are all different, with diffent levels of intelligence and emotional intelligence.

For Wickain...Apatheism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Apatheism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Only Christians can do that.

Doug

• Like 1

Where does that put me I ask with whom especially did the Yahweh and Allah believers make a deal with. To who or what did they sellout the rest of us to.

So this is what love is like...

• Like 1

Why do people feel the need to put a label on everyone who is different, or has a different opinion/belief system than another..

I get the feeling that many "soft" sciences do little more than put fancy labels on things that are already known. Then ten years later someone else comes along and puts new labels on the same things as if they're new discoveries.

The labels do absolutely nothing to advance the understanding of these things but scientists do get grants and get to publish studies and pretend they're advancing their field of study.

• Like 1

I think that what I am hearing here is that intellectuals and non-Christians are being called 'Atheists.' That is a rather ambiguous assumption for The Church.

The category of Non-theist according to this study.

A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion. Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement. No part of their life addresses or considers transcendent ontology. They are not interested in any type of secularist agenda and simply do not care.

http://www.atheismresearch.com/

Atheist are no different than anyone else, the ones I know are no more intelligent than anyone else, though they do want to be unique and special just as we all do. Some are ass holes, others very nice and respectiful, just ordinary folk and like human beings in other groups, once you get to know them, yes they are all different, with diffent levels of intelligence and emotional intelligence.

For Wickain...Apatheism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Apatheism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Hmm

Apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God does or does not exist, their behavior would not change.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Because that is how non-profit organizations are determined by the government, and how government money is doled out. That is what Labels are for, so the government knows in what Jar you belong.

My wife used to have a friend that practiced Ecstatic Dancing. Apparently it is like non-religous meditation, but obviously with dancing, to try to get that "feel" of religion without actually claiming you belong to a religion.

I think the most aggressive Atheists are just as bad as ultra fundamentalist Christians, because they go around trying to "Convert" people just as strongly as any Christian I've ever met. They will argue for weeks on end to prove they are right... when it really just does not matter.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

I think the most aggressive Atheists are just as bad as ultra fundamentalist Christians, because they go around trying to "Convert" people just as strongly as any Christian I've ever met. They will argue for weeks on end to prove they are right... when it really just does not matter.

I have met a good few aggressive Atheists and Christians... I put that down to their nature.. What I mean is, if they are naturally a negative person and can show aggression at anyone for the smallest of things? Then they obviously are like that naturally.. So, if you removed their title - Christian or Atheist, they'd still be aggressive to others regardless ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

The "just as varied" part does not cut well with me. I mean, after "study" one encounters there are about six types of non-believers. On the contrary, without an iota of study, any random person can conceive that believers of each religion are often divided into more than types of categories, and that's not taking into account the other thousands of religions and cults and practices around the world. I mean, while there will always be differences between each and every human beings, I don't think there's a lot of different ways to perceive a non-existent God or Power. If you get my gist.

I have met a good few aggressive Atheists and Christians... I put that down to their nature.. What I mean is, if they are naturally a negative person and can show aggression at anyone for the smallest of things? Then they obviously are like that naturally.. So, if you removed their title - Christian or Atheist, they'd still be aggressive to others regardless ..

Firstly Atheists are not naturally aggressive, it is not part of what being an Atheist is all about. Yes, they will argue when faced with a Theocratic viewpoint that "should" be imposed on Atheists, but that is the nature of debate and is unrelated to this topic.

The fact is that Atheists (as I consider myself) are NOT agnostic, harbours no belief in a Religious Dimension to life or afterlife but in the same vein, does not expect a theist to understand this viewpoint and therefore tends towards humanistic viewpoints whereby social fairness is bound by a consensus of humanistic understandings. I.E. some things are intrinsically wrong, Murder, Rape, Theft, Corruption, Nepotism etc etc. We are not guided by Religious Tracts or sayings, there are no religious Texts that "guide" us, it is just simple, plain humanity.

Perhaps we Atheists should write up a Bill of Rights by ourselves and Publish it with none of the attendant religious epithets attached. IMO

The study: What an incredible waste of resources and time.

Such an abundance of energy spent trying to pigeon-hole people by degrees of religious beliefs or lack thereof.

Why is religion the pet yardstick? Think about it real hard. It's polarizing; makes folks defensive.

Edited by Winter Summer

The fact is that Atheists (as I consider myself)....

You would do well to consider what is stated in the following video: