Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are alien probes scouring the galaxy ?

I think that must be totally absurd, the Earth is more than four billion years old already. One tenth light-speed seems terribly impractical, not even to mention that even IF their robots are self-replicating where would they get the raw materials from considering that these robots would need something more than air to replicate themselves from, and how would they ever pay for those resources ? How could any space civilization, no matter how advanced, pay for the debts for such an extended exploration of this galaxy which has two hundred billion stars ? And even IF they could gather data and information on many different global cultures throughout this galaxy that data might just become obsolete within fifty years to say, a hundred and fifty years. And certainly long outmoded before they finish gathering their data and information from all over this galaxy.

Party pooper :/

Great thread, OP :tu:

not even to mention that even IF their robots are self-replicating where would they get the raw materials from considering that these robots would need something more than air to replicate themselves from, and how would they ever pay for those resources ? How could any space civilization, no matter how advanced, pay for the debts for such an extended exploration of this galaxy which has two hundred billion stars ?

All they would have to build is one. We build this super robot, and launch it from the International Space Station. It flys out to Jupiter, collects fuel and materials from the various moons, builds 2 duplicates of itself and flys off toward a random star. The other two build two duplicates of themselves, just as the first one did and then those two fly off toward random stars. When the resources of Jupiters moons are used up, the go out to Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Eventually some hundreds of robots are heading out into intersteller space. From one original. They then repeat that process whenever they find more materials.

The main problem I see is Organizing all these trillions of robots. Surely some systems near the parent system.... even the parent system, would be explored by these robots over, and over, and over again. Without some kind of database that is updated and transmitted to all the robots, there is going to be vast inefficiencies in their search patterns.

And even IF they could gather data and information on many different global cultures throughout this galaxy that data might just become obsolete within fifty years to say, a hundred and fifty years. And certainly long outmoded before they finish gathering their data and information from all over this galaxy.

It took billions of years for the dinosaurs to die out, and tens of thousands of years for humans to invent anything worthwhile. On the scale of planetary history, usually nothing changes for millions of years.

• Like 1

Probes are less expensive but also less competent and flexible, and in a situation where you really have no idea what at all you may encounter, probes could be a serious mistake.

I suspect our own exploration will be in three general phases -- first observation from the earth and near-earth space to identify planets and get and idea what they are about, then probes and later missions. At a rate of one new colony every century, expanding exponentially, the galaxy would be fully colonized in less than a million years, so one must wonder why we weren't colonized eons ago.

If I was in charge of such a search, I'd not be sending information back to the parent star, but back to the colony ships that would be behind the robot explorers. The robots would find where the colonists could set up, or might even start terraforming (using micro-organisms) before the colonists arrive.

Well, naturally, that's what I've often said, that it'd be a much more practical and cost-effective way of exploring space than sending manned craft. It would also, of course, account for why we haven't been "Contacted" yet,

Why would it account for the no contact? Or proof?

I don't think people understand the power of exponential expansion. It starts off very slowly but once going quickly finishes the job.

Stars are on average about a parsec apart (three to four light-years). A reasonable trip therefore is about 50 years. Add another 50 years before the new colony is ready for further colonization, but during that delay the original planet has no doubt sent out several more colonies, and now you have two doing so, soon increased exponentially.

• Like 1

If I was in charge of such a search, I'd not be sending information back to the parent star, but back to the colony ships that would be behind the robot explorers. The robots would find where the colonists could set up, or might even start terraforming (using micro-organisms) before the colonists arrive.

One of the human race's enduring questions pertains to how life began on this planet. Has DieChecker found the answer (this is asked very tongue in cheek :))? Are we, and all of nature, the result of some interplanetary probe's deposits 3.5 billion years ago ?

At that time, the Earth's atmosphere was a primarily methane and ammonia concoction, and biologists propose that life began with organisms such as cyanobacteria which created oxygen through anaerobic respiration. Should this prove to be the case, we wouldn't have to look far to try and replicate the process. Titan has an atmosphere very similar to Earth's from that era, and although we'd be cutting it a little fine with a 3.5 billion year experiment it would be fun to try. Anyone got a probe and some cyanobacteria ?

• Like 2

It's not hard to envision dozens of ways life could have originated on its own on the earth -- the mystery here is more how it happened than that it happened -- so while the various panspermia proposals are possible they are not necessary.

I bet there are alien probes on the earth some where

If the stories are true, you would want to be pretty darn keen to retrieve them.

AlienProbing.gif

• Like 1

Why would it account for the no contact? Or proof?

because, and i have said this hundreds of times, if they were carrying out pure scientific research, they wouldn't interfere with what they're researching, since that would inevitably skew the results. Plus, if they were automated, artficially intellgent probes, they wouldn't be particularly interested in saying Howdy to any one particular lifeform, would they? As far as proof, then according to many there have been the odd probe that has come down from time time, hasn't there .... :innocent:

because, and i have said this hundreds of times, if they were carrying out pure scientific research, they wouldn't interfere with what they're researching, since that would inevitably skew the results. Plus, if they were automated, artficially intellgent probes, they wouldn't be particularly interested in saying Howdy to any one particular lifeform, would they? As far as proof, then according to many there have been the odd probe that has come down from time time, hasn't there .... :innocent:

Sorry, you have said that before, and I understand that, I am more asking along the lines of stealth, if they are discovering new forms of life, how do they know what to hide from, and why bother anyway, and with space bound probes, should we not see one from time to time if they are in the vicinity and seen as often as proponents would have one believe? It seems a good idea if following this protocol to perhaps "swarm" one system at a time.

I do not think any incident other than Kecksburg and maybe Shag Harbour still claims an unmanned crash site, I could be wrong there, but the norm is that occupants are reported.

They might be interested in saying howdy do, as per the robots in "Alien Planet" but I guess that is beside the point and it could be one or the other.

• Like 1

Sorry, you have said that before, and I understand that, I am more asking along the lines of stealth, if they are discovering new forms of life, how do they know what to hide from, and why bother anyway, and with space bound probes, should we not see one from time to time if they are in the vicinity and seen as often as proponents would have one believe? It seems a good idea if following this protocol to perhaps "swarm" one system at a time.

I do not think any incident other than Kecksburg and maybe Shag Harbour still claims an unmanned crash site, I could be wrong there, but the norm is that occupants are reported.

They might be interested in saying howdy do, as per the robots in "Alien Planet" but I guess that is beside the point and it could be one or the other.

they might not want to hide, or want to do anything by stealth, just that they mightn't be any more interested in contacting "intelligent" life than they might be about analysing chemical composition of rocks or soil or the atmopshere. It'd all be part of the whole scheme of study, but to an artifical intelligence life, even Intelligent life, might not be of any particular interest.

And don't you think this might account for a whole lot of UFO sightings, and their apparently irrational behaviour? Why they don't say Howdy? Why they might (for instance) show a particular interest in oceans, or even dive into the ocean (if they can cope with re-entry and so on, they'd probably have no difficulty underwater). Regarding all these claimed crashes and all the colourful details that are accumulated subsequently, I reckon they were just added to provide colour. Like the well known incident in New Mexico. Aliens only appeared there many years after the event.

I guess there would be four things aliens would do, assuming they aren't so alien we can't guess. They would preach, they would explore, they would colonize, and they would conquer.

I don't think much can be learned comparing our global history. For one thing, the stars are so far apart that while colonization can be imagined, holding an empire together just does not seem even reasonably possible, so I am unconcerned about conquest (except maybe local gun lords). We are not going to be edible -- forget that one -- our chemistry will be too different.

If they are a race of monks, they will try to win us over by setting up monasteries and winning us over by their shining example of compassion and good works. Other kinds of religion do the conversion work by other less pleasant means.

I doubt it, but it is barely conceivable that they would be so altruistic that they would discern the presence of nascent life on our planet and so leave us alone, not wanting to interfere with out natural development.

The thing is, there isn't going to be just one of them out there -- there are going to be thousands if not millions of them -- and they are going to each be different. Where are they? Something just doesn't add up.

• Like 1

I bet there are alien probes on the earth some where

We know what aliens do with their probes.

I guess there would be four things aliens would do, assuming they aren't so alien we can't guess. They would preach, they would explore, they would colonize, and they would conquer.

I don't think much can be learned comparing our global history. For one thing, the stars are so far apart that while colonization can be imagined, holding an empire together just does not seem even reasonably possible, so I am unconcerned about conquest (except maybe local gun lords). We are not going to be edible -- forget that one -- our chemistry will be too different.

If they are a race of monks, they will try to win us over by setting up monasteries and winning us over by their shining example of compassion and good works. Other kinds of religion do the conversion work by other less pleasant means.

I doubt it, but it is barely conceivable that they would be so altruistic that they would discern the presence of nascent life on our planet and so leave us alone, not wanting to interfere with out natural development.

The thing is, there isn't going to be just one of them out there -- there are going to be thousands if not millions of them -- and they are going to each be different. Where are they? Something just doesn't add up.

how many UFo sightings are there on this one planet a year? I think this, if there was anything to it at all, could well account for quite a few of those that can't be more easily explained such as drug-fuelled hallucinations and Lighthouses, etc.

i really dont' see why scientific research programs- and we're talking about intelligent robotic probes, don't forget, so there wouldn't be a council of some superior ET race directing them - would consider it to be part of their terms of reference that they would take it upon themselves to intervene in the development of particular races. That'd be a very unscientific lack of objectivity.

If the probes can be self-replicating then there is no reason to believe that if they are controlled from within then perhaps automated androids in them could not be self-replicating the same way (if we're still trying to stay away from the actual possibility that UFO's could be manned........ lol).....

(oh, and probes and spacecraft could both come from a very long-haul mothership - no need to travel hundreds of light years by conventionally-understood means to reach us in a small craft.......... just saying :whistle: )

how many UFo sightings are there on this one planet a year? I think this, if there was anything to it at all, could well account for quite a few of those that can't be more easily explained such as drug-fuelled hallucinations and Lighthouses, etc.

i really dont' see why scientific research programs- and we're talking about intelligent robotic probes, don't forget, so there wouldn't be a council of some superior ET race directing them - would consider it to be part of their terms of reference that they would take it upon themselves to intervene in the development of particular races. That'd be a very unscientific lack of objectivity.

I don't see where that has anything to do with what I said. There is scientific speculation on the subject and there are nutcases. Keep them apart.

I don't see where that has anything to do with what I said. There is scientific speculation on the subject and there are nutcases. Keep them apart.

How do you mean, nutcases? All UFO Sightings are the work of nutcases, is that what you're saying?

• Like 1

How do you mean, nutcases? All UFO Sightings are the work of nutcases, is that what you're saying?

That would mean I'm a nutcase. More than once.

I have to admit "I am a AAAAB " Thats a Absolute Alien American Affirmant Believer" as for the probes They just need to keep them away from me and I`ll be just fine !

As for the Skeptice and Non-Believers we all need a place in line some where ! You guys can stand at the rear of this one !

E.T. is way tooo Cool and a smooth operator to ever get caught on this rock snoopin around. I bet they Zip around just laughing at us ?

But keep Looking Up ! Or you will never see them ! :tu::alien:

• Like 1

I have to admit "I am a AAAAB " Thats a Absolute Alien American Affirmant Believer" as for the probes They just need to keep them away from me and I`ll be just fine !

As for the Skeptice and Non-Believers we all need a place in line some where ! You guys can stand at the rear of this one !

E.T. is way tooo Cool and a smooth operator to ever get caught on this rock snoopin around. I bet they Zip around just laughing at us ?

But keep Looking Up ! Or you will never see them ! :tu::alien:

Yes! They should take their silly probes and scour elsewhere! Uranus would be just fine.

• Like 1

Yes! They should take their silly probes and scour elsewhere! Uranus would be just fine.

I hope you're not being rude to our friend Dont.

• Like 2

I hope you're not being rude to our friend Dont.

No way! I'd sooner be subjected to 'Double Secret Probe-Ation' than be rude to anyone!

LOL now were getting to the Apex moment on the subject ! OUCH !!!

Well The Alien probes are one thing,its the Formal Dinners they throw for us Im waiting for !

They are going to pull all the Stops out ." TO SERV MAN" you member ! don't you member ?

Heey Lucy we gotta another planet for dinner ! :whistle: