Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman Struck By Lightning Inside Supermarket

Still Waters

Did you think that you were safe from lightning strikes while you’re indoors, paying for your groceries? Apparently not. A woman standing in line at a Louisiana supermarket was struck by lightning, a baffling event that a meteorologist called “one-in-a-million.” She ended up in the hospital, and business went on as usual in the store.

http://consumerist.c...-grocery-store/

It never strikes you that it can happen in doors... Pun intended lol

Glad she is ok though.

• Like 1

It never strikes you that it can happen in doors... Pun intended lol

Glad she is ok though.

Hell, I never knew it COULD strike a person inside a building. One more thing to worry about :)
  • Like 1

It would scare the life out of some shoplifters ..."Did you pay for that?..."Erm yes, and may god strike me down If I am lying"...ZAP!!!!

• Like 4

I was hit by lightning that traveled through the plumbing and electric of my home when it was under construction. I had a grip on a radial arm table saw when a bolt hit our house. Sparks shot out of the receptacles and it blew a hole in a cold water pipe. It felt like someone hit me in my er "tender parts" with a hammer. It was not pleasant I assure you, but fortunately most of the electricity went elsewhere and not through me. I'm perfectly find today. What was I just saying.....?

• Like 1

I was hit by lightning that traveled through the plumbing and electric of my home when it was under construction. I had a grip on a radial arm table saw when a bolt hit our house. Sparks shot out of the receptacles and it blew a hole in a cold water pipe. It felt like someone hit me in my er "tender parts" with a hammer. It was not pleasant I assure you, but fortunately most of the electricity went elsewhere and not through me. I'm perfectly find today. What was I just saying.....?

That is more or less what happened here. Getting struck by lightning wasn't actually what happened. The 'building' was struck by lightning, the charge traveled through the 'sprinkler system' and exited on the floor plate where she was standing.

According to the sheriff's office, the lightning struck the building roof, conducted through the sprinkler system and struck a metal plate on the floor, ultimately striking Brooks..

http://www.wwltv.com/news/lafourche-terrebonne/Lightning-strikes-woman-inside-supermarket-215607921.html

• Like 1

One of my ancestors was struck by ilghtning standing in the vestibule of her home. She was holding her granddaughter at the time and both were killed instantly. Happens.

One of my ancestors was struck by ilghtning standing in the vestibule of her home. She was holding her granddaughter at the time and both were killed instantly. Happens.

No. It doesn't happen. Lightning cannot penetrate through a roof and continue down through the air. It isn't possible.

I wonder if she'll have a lichtenberg pattern scar.

I can just imagine her shoe go flying off into the distance.

Who mentioned anything about a roof? She was standing in the vestibule of her home and in the doorway.

• Like 1

Shocking!

A hot lightning bolt travelling along a sprinkler system, and it didn't set the sprinklers-off?

OK, maybe not enough heat.

And the blown-off shoe... Is that why I always just see 1 shoe on a highway? :passifier:

• Like 1

Who mentioned anything about a roof? She was standing in the vestibule of her home and in the doorway.

Oh, so the door was open? That is a whole different scenario than what I had envisioned. I thought she was just standing there and wallah, right through the roof.

That actually does happen. I remember a story just a few years ago of a woman that was praying at her open window. Praying, as it were, that God would protect her family from the terrible lightning storm that was going on. Zapppp....she was struck by lightning while praying at the window.

It is impossible for lightning to strike inside a closed room.

It is impossible for lightning to strike inside a closed room.

Actually it can, indirectly.

For example this is why we are advised not to be on a "land-line" telephone, hand washing dishes, or taking a bath/shower during a lightning storm, amongst other advise.

Actually it can, indirectly.

For example this is why we are advised not to be on a "land-line" telephone, hand washing dishes, or taking a bath/shower during a lightning storm, amongst other advise.

Yes...indirectly...but one cannot ever, never has been, never will be, anywhere on God's Grey Earth, struck by lightning directly inside any fully enclosed building. It is impossible. It can't happen, won't happen and never happened and never will happen...and isn't happening now...no way, no where, no how! Phew...