Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has anyone in Hawaii ever sighted a cryptid?

NatureBoff

I've never heard of a first hand account of a cryptid encounter in Hawaii. There's general stories and myths of course, but these are known to be imported from the original settlers. Does this mean that if cryptids do exist, then they simply couldn't reach the islands as the center of the Pacific, even the ones that can fly? Or have I missed a single first-hand sighting or experience??

post-94765-0-94633400-1374138228_thumb.j

Edited by NatureBoff

Uh...if these cryptid can fly why would they not fly to Hawaii?

More likely that these cryptids simply aren't a part of Pacific Islander's mythology.

• Like 1

Because they wouldn't be able to see the island 2400 miles away from California would they? Why fly into oblivion when there's plenty of food and everything else you need where you are?

I was told recently that there is a lot of talk of hairy men deep in the Solomon Islands. I know nothing about the area, maybe someone who has been there might know if such a place could sustain any creatures?

I know a couple of people who live on the edge of the jungle on the big island who claim to have seen orbs.

I was told recently that there is a lot of talk of hairy men deep in the Solomon Islands. I know nothing about the area, maybe someone who has been there might know if such a place could sustain any creatures?

Thanks for the info. The Solomons could easily support such a group imv. The islands are close to Papua New Guinea and so aren't far from mainland.

Here's a link to the hairymen World War II Cryptids Of The Pacific

post-94765-0-48207800-1374160138_thumb.p

Edited by NatureBoff

I know a couple of people who live on the edge of the jungle on the big island who claim to have seen orbs.

Hi Beany and thanks for that. Were they the small white orbs, like giant fireflies, or something bigger. What colour did they see?

It seems cripteds are seen all over the place

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

It seems cripteds are seen all over the place

No. Hairy-men type cryptids haven't been reported from Hawaii nor large UFOs from what people are saying.
  • Like 1

No. Hairy-men type cryptids haven't been reported from Hawaii nor large UFOs from what people are saying.

hmmm rare these days that would seem

Thanks for the link NatureBoff, interesting reading.

There doesn't seem to be much tourism there even though it's pretty close to Australia.

There was a guy on here before called Solomon from Hawaii but I think his Biff encounters happened elsewhere. He'd be the best one to speak to but he doesn't come on here anymore.

Edited by Tia
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link NatureBoff, interesting reading.

There doesn't seem to be much tourism there even though it's pretty close to Australia.

There was a guy on here before called Solomon from Hawaii but I think his Biff encounters happened elsewhere. He'd be the best one to speak to but he doesn't come on here anymore.

No probs. I imagine it's remoteness makes it a bit dangerous for the average adventurer.

I thought people still occationally report sightings of the Menehune? The Hawaiian Hobbits.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

There are only a few cryptids that I have heard of since being on island. However, I figured I could answer with a couple first hand accounts I've discovered. In the 1940's a bunch of school children and their teacher saw Menehune in the forest near their school. I believe it was on the Waimea Parish property. I've heard of other stories as recently as 2011 from people on some of the other islands about them lurking around the home or their children coming to them saying the "little man" waking them up. Menehune seem to be the best known example. I wouldn't think there would be sightings of the Nawao because all the stories I've heard say they were on the islands before the Menehune and the later drove them away or killed them all. The only other one I know of is mo'o. The kupuna say they can grow up to thirty feet long, even though no known large lizards actually live on island. Mo'o lives in ponds. There are stories of a mo'o that was killed because it was eating humans, others have been seen as kind. There is a story of a woman saying her mother took her to a pond in Wailua Valley and showed her a mo'o. When a mo'o dies it becomes part of the landscape, so certain sites are said to be the remains of the mo'o. So there are sightings but don't seem to be as wide spread as they are on the mainland.

• Like 1

There are only a few cryptids that I have heard of since being on island. However, I figured I could answer with a couple first hand accounts I've discovered. In the 1940's a bunch of school children and their teacher saw Menehune in the forest near their school. I believe it was on the Waimea Parish property. I've heard of other stories as recently as 2011 from people on some of the other islands about them lurking around the home or their children coming to them saying the "little man" waking them up. Menehune seem to be the best known example. I wouldn't think there would be sightings of the Nawao because all the stories I've heard say they were on the islands before the Menehune and the later drove them away or killed them all. The only other one I know of is mo'o. The kupuna say they can grow up to thirty feet long, even though no known large lizards actually live on island. Mo'o lives in ponds. There are stories of a mo'o that was killed because it was eating humans, others have been seen as kind. There is a story of a woman saying her mother took her to a pond in Wailua Valley and showed her a mo'o. When a mo'o dies it becomes part of the landscape, so certain sites are said to be the remains of the mo'o. So there are sightings but don't seem to be as wide spread as they are on the mainland.

The mo'o sounds like it might have been a lost salfwater crocodile.

10-15 foot giants on the Solomon Islands. My dad was a Seabee and served all over the south Pacific including the Solomons and other nearby islands during WWII.

Clearing raw jungle.

I would think 10-15 foot giants might have been a topic of conversation with my father or any of my many "uncles" (the men he served with).

His battalion has held reunions every two years since the end of the war. We also visited many of my "uncles" as I was growing up.

He even brought home a thick, nice yearbook full of photographs and stories. Natives, but no giants, though.

Edited by QuiteContrary

More likely that these cryptids simply aren't a part of Pacific Islander's mythology.

Excellent! Exactly what I was going to say. What is that they say? Great minds and such? lol :tu:

Hi Beany and thanks for that. Were they the small white orbs, like giant fireflies, or something bigger. What colour did they see?

:no: Oh man....... I know I've been gone from these boards for quite a while, but I was really hoping this subject had been resolved by now............ It saddens me to have it revealed that I erroneously believed statistical facts, common sense and the thousands upon thousands of discussions on here had finally brought about a general consensus on the subject. :cry:

I thought people still occationally report sightings of the Menehune? The Hawaiian Hobbits.

do they say the average height of these creatures?

do they say the average height of these creatures?

I think I remember (From when I was in Hawaii about 3 years ago) that they are about 1 meter (3+ feet) tall. And supposedly very hairy and wide like Tolkien (LotR) Dwarfs, or Norse (Mythic) Dwarfs. Not necessarily with a long beard however, just hairy all over.

I'll be in Honolulu next Thursday so I'll keep an eye out for any.

Mind you, lots and lots of them can be found visiting the Pearl Harbor. With cameras.