Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Museum in China found to be full of fakes

Saru

The Jibaozhai Museum in Jizhou has been forced to close after most of its relics turned out to be fake.

A Chinese museum has been forced to close after claims its 40,000-strong collection of supposedly ancient relics is almost entirely composed of fakes.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Authenticity. Now there is a top for philosophers. They argue over beauty and balance and design and taste and style and rarity and of course, that tremendously important concept, provenance. Discover overnight that an object that was the draw of the museum is not genuine and down to the basement it goes, with zeros lopped off its value, even if it once stood on the bedstead of one of the Louis.

There is something very rotten in the state of Denmark.

Museum in China found to be full of fakes

Is this really a surprise to anyone? Classic :D

• Like 3

every dinosaur skeleton you see in museums (by far the most popular attractions) is a fake, but no-one's asked the Natural History Museum to close its doors have they....?

Is this really a surprise to anyone? Classic :D

it IS kind of ironic isn't it Chubb!

• Like 1

it IS kind of ironic isn't it Chubb!

I was going to go with ironic, I think 'kind of ironic' is spot on. ;)

Either way you just couldn't make it up...

• Like 1

Either way you just couldn't make it up...

oh, i dunno Chubb, something tells me the chinese could make it up quite easily.

in large quantities.

very cheaply.

:-)

• Like 1

oh, i dunno Chubb, something tells me the chinese could make it up quite easily.

in large quantities.

very cheaply.

:-)

But it would only fall apart after a week...

Funnily enough I have just bought a Game of Thrones DVD on Ebay only to discover its fake. Waiting for the seller to respond, might take a while... :whistle:

I might just take the hit and forward it on to the museum. ;)

• Like 1

So basically what we have here are some cheap Chinese knock-offs? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

• Like 1

"Residents in the nearby village of Erpu had long argued the party boss who oversaw the collection bought fake items with money raised for the museum, the Global Times said on Tuesday."

How do they know he bought fakes. Maybe he bought the real items and had "amazing reproductions" made over time and sold the originals on the black market.

• Like 1

Authenticity. Now there is a top for philosophers. They argue over beauty and balance and design and taste and style and rarity and of course, that tremendously important concept, provenance. Discover overnight that an object that was the draw of the museum is not genuine and down to the basement it goes, with zeros lopped off its value, even if it once stood on the bedstead of one of the Louis.

There is something very rotten in the state of Denmark.

The museum should have asked for a certificate of authenticity from the seller. :yes:

Fakes? Sure, but they're still "Made in China", right? :passifier: :passifier: :passifier:

• Like 2

Everyone has made the same joke, but i litereally laughed when i read the titile and though 'counterfeits from China... couldn't be!' Lol.

"Made in China" I am not surprised that this museum is full of fakes. China is a crap country.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Are they sure it was museum they were in and not a Walmart?

ZING!

Oh! Whats the difference between this museum and Walmart? NOTHING! LOL