Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Proton-M Rocket Downed by Reversed Sensors

Waspie_Dwarf

Proton-M Rocket Downed by Reversed Sensors – Roscosmos

MOSCOW, July 18 (RIA Novosti) – A Russian Proton-M rocket that exploded after launch on July 2 was lost because its angular velocity sensors were installed upside-down, the country’s space agency said Thursday.

The mistake affected three of six yaw angular velocity sensors on the unmanned rocket, said deputy head of Roscosmos, Alexander Lopatin, citing a state commission’s investigation of the crash.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• keithisco

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dont believe this... Inertial Sensors for Roll, Pitch, and Yaw are exhaustively tested both at the device level, the sub assembly level, and the System level. As are the gyroscopic sensors. Velocity is determined by Accelerometers, Yaw sensors only detect changes in rotational vector velocity, and having them upside down should be easy to detect, and would only result in a rotational moment being interpreted as a need to rotate through the opposite plane.

IMO only, I would suspect the software having the wrong "Sign".

Edited by keithisco

I don't claim to be any sort of expert in this, but surely if 3 of the 6 yaw angular velocity sensors were giving incorrect readings there would be conflicting signals being sent to the guidance computer. If that is the case I don't see that software would need to be at fault.