Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brits behaving badly abroad

Commander CMG

• Increase in arrests in United Arab Emirates, Canada and Netherlands
  • Drug arrests also up in USA, Greece, UAE, Portugal and China
  • Hospitalisations in Thailand up by a third as Brits ignore moped warnings
  • Number of Brits raped abroad up 9% on 2011-12 and up 20% on 2010-11
  • FCO warns of dangers of spiked drinks and taking lifts from strangers

arrow3.gifView: Read more

well i have no sympathy for anyone who goes on holiday and breaks the laws of that host nation. from the minor to the extreme, were they could even receive the death sentence, - for example drug smuggling or selling or just caught in possession.

whenever i've gone on holiday i adapt to the culture and values of that country, even attempting to speak the lingo, (not bad for a little englander) but being a law abiding citizen here the UK its in my nature to be the same wherever i go. for me its all about having a good time but having a bit of decorum.

it seems the culture in the UK, at home is you can only have a good time, if you go out get wasted, drunk out your skull, and taking drugs, and its no wonder this behaviour at home is getting Brits in trouble when abroad.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

My husbands brother went abroad once and got into a fight.. He was put in jail while he was over there, his dad had to bail him out.. He made up a story claiming that some guy ( who was a lot smaller than himself ) tried to mug him, and they fought, yet he was the one put in jail and had to pay this so called "mugger" compensation.. I knew he was lying instantly, given his nature and what he used to get up to back at home..

Every time the TV programme came on - Banged up abroad, I used to look out for him lol....You dare not say it in front of his parents, they keep rose tinted glasses on 24/7...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

It's like every second pub fight down here is with an Aussie and a bloke from either the UK or Ireland. But usually we have the same mentality and no bad blood afterwards, we are pretty culturaly similar. But rarely does anyone get arrested anyway, just usually broken up or kicked out and sent on their way.

In Spain, the part where I live, bolke Brits arrive with just one goal - to get as p****ed as they can from day one. Unfortunately the same is true with the girls as well, and whilst in a state of inebriation will get raped because they are incapable of saying "no". Whilst in the UK it is deemed that a girl is considered not to be able to give consent through excess consumption of drink or drugs, and therefore Rape is easier to prove, in Spain the Law is somewhat different.

Most seemed to have learned never to argue with the Guardia Civil, Policia Nacional, and Policia Local, some still do, and they can expect no mercy in the Courts.Ignorance of the Law is no defence, nor should it be. Your passports will be stolen by the Rumanians if you are stupid enough to carry them on you (almost 5000 stolen passports were recovered in one recent raid on a Rumanian Gypsy settlement in Benidorm).

So be safe, if you are going out to get P****d then make sure that 1 person in your group remains sensible enough to get you home and to watch out for you. On the whole, the Local Police are on your side and will track down anyone thieving from you, be rude to them, be belligerant or objectionable and YOU ar the one spending the night in Cells , being arraigned in Court in the Morning and being deported. Yes, deportation from Spain to UK (at your expense) is a common result of your arraignment.

• Like 1

I can't understand the logic, in groups going on a sunny holiday.... drinking all night and sleeping all day. They can do that at home.

The absorb no local culture or cuisines and come home after 14 days holiday and boast a real good holiday. Each country has so much to offer, over and above the night-life.

• Like 1

I can't understand the logic, in groups going on a sunny holiday.... drinking all night and sleeping all day. They can do that at home.

The absorb no local culture or cuisines and come home after 14 days holiday and boast a real good holiday. Each country has so much to offer, over and above the night-life.

I totally agree XSAS, but Benidorm is cheap (1 Euro a pint of local lager) and many of these folk would have no holiday if they didn't come here because the UK is so expensive (I was at my nephew's wedding last weekend and ordered a Double G&T plus a Kopparberg flavoured Cider and was charged 19.50 pounds in Romsey!)

No, they never get to see what Spain is all about, the food is brilliant (but if it isnt Battered Cod and Chips they dont want to know), the Festivals (of which there are 53 a year) are something else (burning effigies on the beach, burying the sardine (strange) etc) and would be banned in UK.

The second week of November is benidorm towns own fiesta week, not to be missed LINK to Fiestas: http://en.visitbenid...-festivals.html this is the time to visit when it is still warm enough to sit on the beach, food and drink is supplied free of charge, and a brilliant atmosphere. A totally unique Spanish experience

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

I have to say though Aussies abroad are just as bad. Especially in places like Bali, $1.50AU a beer. Young guys in groups over there completely destroy our national image.

• Like 2