Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Hairy Hands of Dartmoor

Still Waters

Since the early 1900s, something sinister has haunted the back roads of Dartmoor in Devon, England. Around 1910, an unknown force began to torment the locals on what is now B3212 Road (which can be found between the villages of Postbridge and Two Bridges). By coincidence (or perhaps not), Dartmoor is also the setting of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s 1902 crime thriller, The Hound of the Baskervilles, starring the world-famous detective Sherlock Holmes.

http://demonhuntersc...f-dartmoor.html

• Like 3

I live in Bristol, about a couple of hours from there, and I like to go down that way now and then, and I have heard people talk of this and similar stories. Next time I visit Dartmoor, I shall have to do a little more searching around... You hear all kinds of stories like this all over the South West though, especially in Somerset and Devon. I wonder if that was Conan Doyle's inspiration for the Baskerville Hound, and whether these local tales in turn fed off the fame of his novel.

• Like 1

Scary! I think I'll be avoiding that road...

• Like 1

My Gf's step-dad apparently encountered this years ago whilst driving back to Cornwall. Scared the ****e out of him.

• Like 2

I remember my grandmother telling me this story when I was five or six. I think in her version, the hands had been severed from a man in spite, and buried separate from him so he couldn't have a proper Christian burial, or something along those lines. So the hands rose to take revenge. Her story ended with someone slamming the hands into a bible and thus stopping them.

It scared the **** out of me as a child. I don't know why. I didn't sleep for weeks after though. I would lock my windows and weigh them down so the hands couldn't break in :P

• Like 2

Wow, that's a creepy story! Isn't Dartmoor the place, where that family bought a zoo? Remember that movie, We Bought a Zoo?

• Like 1

Wow, that's a creepy story! Isn't Dartmoor the place, where that family bought a zoo? Remember that movie, We Bought a Zoo?

You're absolutely right, the movie was based on the memoir of a person who worked at Dartmoor Zoological Park.

http://en.wikipedia....Zoological_Park

Edited by MyInnerShadow