Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Motor City going down.

Grandpa Greenman

I grew up in SE Michigan, this makes me kind of sad. I suppose they could bulldoze it and turn it back in to farmland. :hmm:

DETROIT (AP) - Once the very symbol of American industrial might, Detroit became the biggest U.S. city to file for bankruptcy Thursday, its finances ravaged and its neighborhoods hollowed out by a long, slow decline in population and auto manufacturing.

The filing, which had been feared for months, put the city on an uncertain course that could mean laying off municipal employees, selling off assets, raising fees and scaling back basic services such as trash collection and snow plowing, which have already been slashed.

"Only one feasible path offers a way out," Gov. Rick Snyder said in a letter approving the move.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20130718/DA7K6LF01.html

• Like 2

Somehow shocking and not surprising at the same time.

Sad news indeed.

• Like 5

What, you didn't believe President Obama when he boasted that he didn't let Detroit go bankrupt last year?

[media=]

[/media]

Can't really say I believed him or not.. But Detroit didn't go bankrupt last year.

But maybe with this, Detroit can progress to being known as the garden city. Trying to be hopeful about that.

Obama campaigned on him having saved detriot. Obama care turned out to be a complete lie. Which I suspected. Further I still say it was only passed to force the country onto a single payer.

• Like 1

Wonder what that means for the EFM's?

whass an EFM Rashore?

(i'm british. mee no speekee yankee!!)

:-)

• Like 1

Its sad but bound to happen. They have been having problems for years. I wouldn't want to live there and I doubt big businesses see it as a good place to be.

• Like 1

This would be a great time to buy realistate there. If you can hold on to it, until the city turns around somewhere after the econimy recovers.

• Like 1

whass an EFM Rashore?

(i'm british. mee no speekee yankee!!)

:-)

Emergency Fiscal Manager. Basically a person appointed by the governor to take over the fiscal affairs of a city or school system in fiscal trouble. They overrule the elected officials and make decisions in their place. Some work with officials, some just overrule. They are supposed to hopefully pull the city or school system out of trouble so declaring bankruptcy isn't necessary. They do stuff like make or break contracts, can dissolve plats, sell public property off to private companies. And they are paid out of the troubled cities or school systems bankroll. Detroit has a city and a school system EFM, so I wonder what part they will play during bankruptcy.

• Like 1

That is sad. I remember back in my teens Detroit was a brand name, an icon. If I ever and up in north america it was the must see city for me. Now, since 15 years I drive thru, stoped once for a pack of cigarets and made it out alive. I look at this great city acrosd the detroit river, it is still amazing from far away. I hope they clean up their mess soon becausr I would love to have a beer there.

• Like 1

We used to go to Windsor on the other side of the river to party, because we thought it was safer. Detroit was always a rough town. I lived about 50 miles north of Detroit in what was considered Detroit's body dumping ground. Jimmy Hoffa lived in my home town. You couldn't pay me to go back to live in SE Michigan. The Lake Michigan side is nice I wouldn't mind living there.

Can't really say I believed him or not.. But Detroit didn't go bankrupt last year.

But maybe with this, Detroit can progress to being known as the garden city. Trying to be hopeful about that.

Yea, it would have been bad for his campagn if it had.

i was born in detroit, though i haven't lived there in over five years, so i don't know how much right i have to the place anymore but... still. this is sad. everyone knew it was coming, but still.

lord knows what's going to happen to some of my friends and family still there, a lot of them work in the public school system.

• Like 1

Today, the city of Stockton, California, became the largest city in U.S. history to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection (something we've broken down by the numbers). But though Stockton is the largest city to take this unfortunate route, it's certainly not the first. More than 600 municipalities (including counties) have filed for bankruptcy since Chapter 9 filings first became an option in the 1930s, according to this article from ABC News.

Here are the seven largest cities to file for bankruptcy (sometimes more than once) in recent history:

*snip*

http://www.theatlant...ankruptcy/2397/

*snip*

List of Bankruptcy Filings Since January 2010

All Municipal Bankruptcy Filings: 36

City and Locality Bankruptcy Filings (8):

-- City of Detroit

-- City of San Bernardino, Calif.

-- Town of Mammoth Lakes, Calf. (Dismissed)

-- City of Stockton, Calif.

-- Jefferson County, Ala.

-- City of Harrisburg, Pa. (Dismissed)

-- City of Central Falls, R.I.

-- Boise County, Idaho (Dismissed)

http://www.governing...d-defaults.html

So will it become a ghost city?

I thought it already was. no people to pay taxes. no money.

• Like 2

When we start buying things, besides food and gas, detriot will make a come back. But, it seems that obama doesn't want us buying anything but what i listed plus health care.

When we start buying things, besides food and gas, detriot will make a come back. But, it seems that obama doesn't want us buying anything but what i listed plus health care.

Obama has nothing to do with that.

Overpriced cars, low wages, poor infrastructure, lack of security, lack of tourists...no income, no taxes. I have been to chicago. Great city, lot of tourists, lot of things to do. In Atlanta I enjoyed some great food, great atmosphere although I got sacked by a cop for smoking outside on the smoke free strip downtown.

Chicago and atlanta are deemd dangerous, yet I felt safe. Detroit however has nothing to provide for tourists. Run down city since decades.

To bad.

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing to do with Obama, he saved the City once, but no more.

The move to Bankruptcy was endorsed by the Republican Party:

Michigan's Governor Rick Snyder, a Republican, said he had approved the request for Chapter 9 bankruptcy.

"It is clear that the financial emergency in Detroit cannot be successfully addressed outside of such a filing, and it is the only reasonable alternative that is available".

This news makes me sad.

@danielost Detroit's decline can be traced back to the 70's and 80's. Nothing to do with Obama.

• Like 4

Everything is linked to Obama.. He planted the iceberg that caused the titanic to sink !!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 4

Obama has nothing to do with that.

Overpriced cars, low wages, poor infrastructure, lack of security, lack of tourists...no income, no taxes. I have been to chicago. Great city, lot of tourists, lot of things to do. In Atlanta I enjoyed some great food, great atmosphere although I got sacked by a cop for smoking outside on the smoke free strip downtown.

Chicago and atlanta are deemd dangerous, yet I felt safe. Detroit however has nothing to provide for tourists. Run down city since decades.

To bad.

To many regulations, taxes to high, pumping money into bad companies, not fixing the infrastructure.