Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boston Bomber on the cover of Rolling Stone

BiffSplitkins

New York (CNN) -- Rolling Stone magazine's decision to put Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the accused Boston Marathon bomber, on the cover of its latest issue has ignited a firestorm of outrage online.

The cover picture is one that Tsarnaev himself posted online and has been published widely by other media outlets in the past.

But many took exception to its prominent play in Rolling Stone, where the space is more often than not reserved for rock stars and celebrities.

Suspect pleads not guilty

"Oh look, Rolling Stone magazine is glamourizing terrorism. Awesome," Adrienne Graham commented on the magazine's Facebook page. "I will NOT be buying this issue, or any future issues,"

READ MORE

It's not the first time they've put a murderer on the cover...

22516_lg.jpg

• Like 1

It's a selling point, it is likely to grab the attention of many readers...

• Like 1

It's a selling point, it is likely to grab the attention of many readers...

While at the same time it portrays 'The Bomber' as a rock star.

• Like 2

While at the same time it portrays 'The Bomber' as a rock star.

I know...I don't get it, but then again this planet is filled with so much backwardness.. Do you know, that this same bomber has a lot on his side? all saying things like - Aww poor guy, he is young, and didn't know better? He only helped kill a few people including a 6 year old boy..At 19, you know exactly what you are doing, and you are fully responsible for your actions...

Cults of personality are alive and well..... human beings can be so damned stupid sometimes.

• Like 2

That's insane!! So... Completely normal by todays standards.

:P

• Like 3

That's insane!! So... Completely normal by todays standards.

:P

Sad so but so VERY TRUE, right? !! Sheesh...
  • Like 2

This magazine has been irrelevant for years, though this is in part to the crappy music scene that it follows.

• Like 5

Sad so but so VERY TRUE, right? !! Sheesh...

Yes indeed it is most true... It has gotten to a stage, where if you condemn or say anything negative about people who kill, bomb, destroy etc, YOU become the bad person...That's what I meant by - This planet is filled with so much backwardness

We are now glamorizing killers and terrorists... This is what it takes to be on the cover of Rolling Stone !!

Ya, know...I think he's cute too. He looks so much like my surrogate Arab family and I think it's a real shame the path he chose in life. That doesn't mean I think he's innocent.

I'm torn on this one, which is the idea, I suspect.

Is it good to be torn again by this guy?

Not really ....

I heard from one of my sisters that CVS has pulled the magazine off of its shelves. =/ I don't blame them either.

Sultry eyes burn into the camera lens from behind tousled curls. A scruff of sexy beard and loose T-shirt are bathed in soft, yellow light.

The close-up of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover of Rolling Stone hitting shelves Friday looks more like a young Bob Dylan or Jim Morrison than the 19-year-old who pleaded not guilty a little more than a week ago in the Boston Marathon bombing, his arm in a cast and his face swollen in court.

Has the magazine, with its roundly condemned cover, offered the world its first rock star of an alleged Islamic terrorist?

The same image of Tsarnaev was widely circulated and used by newspapers and magazines before, but in this context it took on new criticism and accusations that Rolling Stone turned the bombing defendant into something more appealing.

“I can’t think of another instance in which one has glamorized the image of an alleged terrorist. This is the image of a rock star. This is the image of someone who is admired, of someone who has a fan base, of someone we are critiquing as art,” said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, a communications professor and the director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

Public outrage was swift, including hard words from the Boston mayor, bombing survivors and the governor of Massachusetts. At least five retailers with strong New England ties — CVS, Tedeschi Food Stores and the grocery chain the Roche Bros. — said they would not sell the issue that features an in-depth look into how a charming, well-liked teen took a dark turn toward radical Islam. Stop & Shop and Walgreens followed suit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/07/18/boston-bomber-cover-rolling-stone.html

I can understand the outrage at this, however we need to understand the reason for it. We need to find out why this man was radicalized, why he did what he did. We as a society (North American, not just the United States) need to find out what we can do to prevent others following down the same path. We can not just sweep it under the rug and deal with it in a few years as some suggest. We need to deal with this now, if we dont we run the risk of other youth (the most vulnerable) doing similar or more severe attacks on innocent people.

I am glad there was a magazine brazen enough to do it.

~Thanato

• Like 3

I'm torn on this one, which is the idea, I suspect.

Is it good to be torn again by this guy?

Not really ....

• Like 1

Slow month in music?

• Like 2

It's not that anyone thinks the radicalization of youth should be ignored, it's that Rolling Stone put an 'innocent looking' picture of Tsarnaev on the cover. This guy is anything but 'innocent', he murdered and maimed people in the most horrific manner. People around here are not amused. The magazine issue is nowhere to be seen...and I'm glad.

• Like 6

His family was given refuge in this country. His education and even the food he consumed was given to him by this country. I DON'T CARE why he became radicalized. He's just another angry, self indulgent young person who felt the need to lash out. Only HE did it by killing and maiming strangers. He should be tried and then locked away and forgotten. And guess what? Everyone else who follows his path needs the same treatment. Evil need not be understood to be minimized. It CANNOT be wholly stopped but it can be fought against if people will exercise common sense.

Edited by and then
  • Like 2

I can understand the outrage at this, however we need to understand the reason for it. We need to find out why this man was radicalized, why he did what he did. We as a society (North American, not just the United States) need to find out what we can do to prevent others following down the same path. We can not just sweep it under the rug and deal with it in a few years as some suggest. We need to deal with this now, if we dont we run the risk of other youth (the most vulnerable) doing similar or more severe attacks on innocent people.

I am glad there was a magazine brazen enough to do it.

~Thanato

Brazen enough to portray him as a teen idol on the cover? BS. It's disgusting. If they put George Zimmerman on the cover they'd show his mug shot. This is a bunch of vomit inducing nonsense. I don't care who he is or why he did it. All I care is who he knows and what they have planned. Nobody cares how this poor young man[rabid animal who needs put down] became a victim of radicalization[anti-American mass murdering sociopath who stole tax payer money to build the bombs to kill them with]. Screw him. I hope his bullet wounds became infected, festered and burned and I hope his brother is burning in hell getting raped by infidel demons instead of 72 virgins in Allah land or wherever these retards think they go.

I believe that the topic is relevent in this section of the forum as well Still Waters.

I agree, let's not try and corner the subject like we did with the Russian Meteor.

F3SS I am not saying the picture is the best one at all. I agree that this person, this murderer, needs to be brought to justice.

But to not want to find out why this happened? To not want to figure out where he decided to walk down the path of Domestic (yes domestic) terrorism? Young minds are the easiest to corrupt and we need to find out why and how his was.

Journalism is one of the best ways to do this.

• Like 1

F3SS I am not saying the picture is the best one at all. I agree that this person, this murderer, needs to be brought to justice.

But to not want to find out why this happened? To not want to figure out where he decided to walk down the path of Domestic (yes domestic) terrorism? Young minds are the easiest to corrupt and we need to find out why and how his was.

Journalism is one of the best ways to do this.

I see what you're saying. First, rolling stone is far to biased to be a credible source of journalism but that's just my opinion. As for knowing why he did it? What do you think we will learn? He's just another brainwashed pawn used by political-religious zealots bent on world domination using any excuse they can. It's generally some bs about western civ or the great satan USA. It's pretty simple to me. Joker is a weak minded follower who was taught to take advantage of American generosity and opportunity and use it against US. Understanding these animals makes abut as much sense as thinking the persecution of George Zimmerman is going to solve racism. Understand them all you want but they won't go away and if you think you've fund the answer and the solution they'll just come up with another reason. The video below reminds me of the radical Islam mentality.

And yes it was domestic by technicality but the influence is from abroad.

Never underestimate your enemy. Study them. Learn everything you can about them. That is the only way you can defeat them.