Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13 yr old shot dead by his 75 yr old neighbor

Beckys_Mom

Does this excuse what Spooner did? Absolutely, not. He had no right to gun down that boy

Which is true, he didn't have a right but he didn't seem to give a toss did he? That is why other facts about who or what happened before the kid was shot, do not matter, the only thing that matters is the kid being murdered..

but I wouldn't judge Spooner to harshly.

Whatever was going on with the man and those boys, he knows there could have been better ways around it.. He could have gotten help... Even so, it doesn't justify his actions...Since I saw the actual video footage of him going up to the kid, the kid frightened of him, and waving his gun, shooting him, I cannot for the love of me judge him in any other light.. Just like any other killer who kills people in cold blood over things that could have been dealt with better... I do not care for what and why, not when the evidence of this case was so clear on what happened.. Sorry, I am not ready to hold a sympathy torch for any killer..

This is not aimed at you in particular but in general - Its like watching someone walk up to a child, shoot the child to death.. . Why did you do that? He kicked my dog and stole my cat, and broke my window, I can't afford to fix, they are always doing this.... Awww poor you, I can see why ..His mother should have scolded him before .... That itself is crazy... Murder is over looked for some guys sob story...

Then again we have well known magazines glamorizing bombers, making them look like rock stars on the cover of Rolling Stone..... If there ever is a mass shooting, we can claim they were stressed out and not at fault, they couldn't get their tuition fees paid, so its no wonder they shot up a school, we just don't know the full facts... We all should cut cold blooded killers some slack...!!.. That's how this world is headed, and I am not being sarcastic, it seriously is headed in that direction...

• Like 2

ALL you have is a video of the day the man murdered him. You have no idea whether or not his life was being made intolerable by his neighbours over a period of months or years...

If I killed some child down the road from me over theft, would you care for my sob story? Would anyone? ... Do you think the judge would hand me a much lighter sentence because I fed them a sob story?

The fact is murder was committed over theft... If sob stories worked wonders, then don't you think every last killer and bomber would feed it first?

In short, you are jumping to conclusions that this man was of sound mind, completely in control of his faculties,

Where did I do this? I never stated I actually cared what state his mind was in... All I looked at was a man killing a child.. Are you looking me to now think - Poor guy? oh no? I hope he gets off with probation?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Then again we have well known magazines glamorizing bombers, making them look like rock stars on the cover of Rolling Stone..... If there ever is a mass shooting, we can claim they were stressed out and not at fault, they couldn't get their tuition fees paid, so its no wonder they shot up a school, we just don't know the full facts... We all should cut cold blooded killers some slack...!!.. That's how this world is headed, and I am not being sarcastic, it seriously is headed in that direction...

yea it is effed up world we live in. everyone has problem with everything these days.

btw, there was a case in usa a while ago when a guy shot another guy cuz he killed his dog, and he was aquited. it happend once, it can happen again.

If I killed some child down the road from me over theft, would you care for my sob story? Would anyone? ... Do you think the judge would hand me a much lighter sentence because I fed them a sob story?

pbly not, but i would be thankful to you for getting a mf off the street, cuz next time he'd try to rob someone's house, he might kill someone in the house cuz he was seeen, we have plenty of that happening.

pbly not, but i would be thankful to you for getting a mf off the street,

You'd be thankful I murdered a child over theft? And you think that is sound mind, to think and act that way towards someone over theft?..Do you even listen to yourself?

Lets all shoot and kill anyone who steals from us? Because we know for a fact that they can never right their wrongs and get better?.. We also know that possessions can never be replaced, so yea lets all murder them? You have to be kidding me?.... I would love to side with you, I am just not that crazy...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

You'd be thankful I murdered a child over theft? And you think that is sound mind, to think and act that way towards someone over theft?..Do you even listen to yourself?

Lets all shoot and kill anyone who steals from us? Because we know for a fact that they can never right their wrongs and get better?.. We also know that possessions can never be replaced, so yea lets all murder them? You have to be kidding me?.... I would love to side with you, I am just not that crazy...

lets leave child and call thing by their true names. he is a thief, and if he broke into your house, he is more than just a thief. and while other normal kids are playing with toys, and friends he is braking into someones houses and steels stuff. he already commiting crimes.

i can understand someone stealing food from a store\market cuz they are hungry, but if a kid brakes into someones house and steals weapons, at the age of 13, than it is a lot different.

• Like 2

pbly not, but i would be thankful to you for getting a mf off the street,

Never mind. I had a response but I decided it's just no worth it.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 3

but if a kid brakes into someones house and steals weapons, at the age of 13, than it is a lot different.

It's a lot different, but it doesn't give us the right to murder them regardless..It lands you in jail and brands you nothing more than a murderer, hardly worth it, as you too are off the streets. Responsible gun owners wouldn't suggest such a thing..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

I am just waiting for that sad day when someone manages to rationalize blowing away a six year old because they swiped a shiny looking sprinkler.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 3

It's a lot different, but it doesn't give us the right to murder them regardless..It lands you in jail and brands you nothing more than a murderer, hardly worth it, as you too are off the streets. Responsible gun owners wouldn't suggest such a thing..

no it doesn't. i agree. i would not personally kill them with agun or anything else,.. cuz it is illegal, but i would not feel bad if they are removed from society one way or the other.

Edited by aztek

I am just waiting for that sad day when someone manages to rationalize blowing away a six year old because they swiped a shiny looking sprinkler.

and i keep waiting for a day when parents will teach their kids that stealing someone elses stuff is wrong, and age is not an excuse.

• Like 2

So if a toddler picks up someones newspaper and the neighbor has a gun then you have no qualms about letting the child get blown away?

Well, our nation DOES seem to love the idea of killing so I guess your mindset fits perfectly. The old west is reborn..

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 3

Think about it though.. .Many stupid folk like their shiny objects, they get distracted by them often.. It would be a shame to steal their shiny objects, wouldn't it? * tongue in cheek*

So if a toddler picks up someones newspaper and the neighbor has a gun then you have no qualms about letting the child get blown away?

Well eermmm no, because 2 and 3 year olds should know better, and its better they are taken out, age is not an excuse, and neither is wearing diapers...D'UH

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

can you come up with something more dramatic?? why not newborn???

we are talking about teens that brake into ppls houses and steal guns.

Edited by aztek

Which is true, he didn't have a right but he didn't seem to give a toss did he? That is why other facts about who or what happened before the kid was shot, do not matter, the only thing that matters is the kid being murdered..

Whatever was going on with the man and those boys, he knows there could have been better ways around it.. He could have gotten help... Even so, it doesn't justify his actions...Since I saw the actual video footage of him going up to the kid, the kid frightened of him, and waving his gun, shooting him, I cannot for the love of me judge him in any other light.. Just like any other killer who kills people in cold blood over things that could have been dealt with better... I do not care for what and why, not when the evidence of this case was so clear on what happened.. Sorry, I am not ready to hold a sympathy torch for any killer..

This is not aimed at you in particular but in general - Its like watching someone walk up to a child, shoot the child to death.. . Why did you do that? He kicked my dog and stole my cat, and broke my window, I can't afford to fix, they are always doing this.... Awww poor you, I can see why ..His mother should have scolded him before .... That itself is crazy... Murder is over looked for some guys sob story...

No, we shouldn't go around shooting people just because they stole from us, or we suspect they stole from us. That's not right, and why we have a legal system. Obviously, this older man, was upset because he believed this young men robbed him, and the police weren't doing enough to investigate it. But that does not give him the right to shoot someone.

What I can understand is him being fed up with what was going on. He's 70+ years old, and has lung cancer. He was a avid gun collector and probably worked hard all his life, to earn the money for the guns, and some punks break into his house, and steal them? From an old, sick man?

I can understand the guy's anger, not the killing though. Gandhi once said, An eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind.....

• Like 4

can you come up with something more dramatic?? why not newborn???

we are talking about teens that brake into ppls houses and steal guns.

Aztek, if he had caught them in his house while trying to steal the weapons, I would agree that shooting them was justified, and maybe necessary (they are stealing weapons). As it looks right now, it doesn't seem to be the case. The old man confronted him about it, outside his house, in daylight. On top of that, the kid (or alleged thief, you can't label someone a thief without proof) was backing away. This is not defending one's self, this is taking matters into his own hands, and an excessive use of force.

If a police officer had done this, can you imagine the outcry?

• Like 5

If a police officer had done this, can you imagine the outcry?

You got that right...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

http://www.dailymail...ys-brother.html

John Spooner's first appearance in court.

Thanks for that...The old man is finished...I don't think it was worth it.. He had no evidence the kid stole his guns, no guns were found in the kids home, nothing.. He had no business going near that child with his gun...His own security camera was the very thing that will put him away...

I don't get it.. If you are old, you are sick, why would you want to waste the last few years of your life in a jail cell? For what..a few guns? With no evidence, nothing? It's just not worth it..I guess some people prefer their guns value over a life any day..Sad world we live in.

• Like 2

Thanks for that...The old man is finished...I don't think it was worth it.. He had no evidence the kid stole his guns, no guns were found in the kids home, nothing.. He had no business going near that child with his gun...His own security camera was the very thing that will put him away...

I don't get it.. If you are old, you are sick, why would you want to waste the last few years of your life in a jail cell? For what..a few guns? With no evidence, nothing? It's just not worth it..I guess some people prefer their guns value over a life any day..Sad world we live in.

The 13 yr old and/or his brother might well have stolen the guns and moved them on quickly. Who knows what sentimental value they have for the old guy.

• Like 2

The 13 yr old and/or his brother might well have stolen the guns and moved them on quickly. Who knows what sentimental value they have for the old guy.

It wouldn't matter if they stole his guns or not, he had no right to murder the kid.. We don't go around killing people if we suspect them for theft..

It wouldn't matter if they stole his guns or not, he had no right to murder the kid.. We don't go around killing people if we suspect them for theft..

I was just pointing out that although the guns weren't found in the 13 yr old's home doesn't mean to say they were never there. Who knows what else has gone on in the preceding weeks, months, years? This might have been the last straw in a whole catalogue of harrassments for Spooner. Maybe the older brother bullied the younger one into stealing? It'll all come out bit by bit.

Perspectives change when you get old. Your grasp of reality ebbs and flows somewhat. Spooner may not be thinking straight because of some underlying health problem.

• Like 1

I was just pointing out that although the guns weren't found in the 13 yr old's home doesn't mean to say they were never there. Who knows what else has gone on in the preceding weeks, months, years? This might have been the last straw in a whole catalogue of harrassments for Spooner. Maybe the older brother bullied the younger one into stealing? It'll all come out bit by bit.

Question for you - Was murder justified over suspected theft?

Spooner may not be thinking straight because of some underlying health problem.

You posted an article that said he was competent...

Lots of people suffer from health problems, and have to put up with a lot more, they don't go murdering kids over theft or anything else they have to deal with... He sure didn't value his own health or freedom, only his guns.. I don't care if the boy did steal them, murdering anyone over theft is too far, actually its more finial..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

For those of you who are trying to figure out if the kid was guilty of ever stealing his guns?, Or perhaps you might think, well they caused this man agro that drove him to it? A lot of maybes here and there..

My question to you all is this - What good would it do if you found out the kid was guilty of stealing from the man, and even if you found out the family was harassing the man for a while..

The thing that stands out a mile is - 1 - The kid is dead and likely buried.. 2 - The old man is finished, his freedom is gone, and he will likely spend the rest of his time behind bars..To lay the emphasis on this question-... So again, what good will it do? One is dead and the other going down, lost his freedom, and not long left on this planet..so what good will any other info do?. I had to ask that, because a few of you seem to think that piecing this with assumptions might do something? I am unsure what or why this is? So I had to ask...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

o again, what good will it do? One is dead and the other going down, lost his freedom, and not long left on this planet..so what good will any other info do?. I had to ask that, because a few of you seem to think that piecing this with assumptions might do something? I am unsure what or why this is? So I had to ask...

I didn't comment on the instance with the old man. Obviously he was wrong to kill the kid.

But I will comment on your question. What good will any other info do? What good will looking at motive and the actual facts do? It will give people more insight into how other people outside themselves function. It may create empathy and understanding and the world needs a hell of a lot more of that.

I'm a bit taken aback by someone suggesting that it would be a bad thing to look at things from multiple points of view and to actually find out the truth of the matter before judging the whole thing. That attitude seems so shallow.

• Like 1

I didn't comment on the instance with the old man. Obviously he was wrong to kill the kid.

But I will comment on your question. What good will any other info do? What good will looking at motive and the actual facts do? It will give people more insight into how other people outside themselves function. It may create empathy and understanding and the world needs a hell of a lot more of that.

The young lad is now dead, because the man who walked up and shot him, because he thought the boy stole his guns, this was his motive given in court " I just wanted my guns back"... and that was it. This man is now in jail and will never have those guns to enjoy, and the kid will never get to grow up... What other way is there to look at it?

I saw what the kids mother saw on the video, the kid unaware of the man approaching him with the gun in his face, putting his hands up frightened, and I saw him shoot the boy..( Watching it was rather disturbing to say the least, and it wasn't my boy ) .If that had of been my own son, and I watched that in horror and I believed my son was not guilty of what the man accused him of, I wouldn't have any empathy for the man... :hmm:

I'm a bit taken aback by someone suggesting that it would be a bad thing to look at things from multiple points of view and to actually find out the truth of the matter

Since when does asking people a simple straight forward question, constitute as making it out to be a bad thing for trying to figure things out with this case?... Is there something wrong with asking people questions to see why they feel the way they do?

Edited by Beckys_Mom