Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our Milky Way Neighborhood : 50 Light Years

Tau Ceti Xeta

This 3D View of our Milky Way Galaxy is just a 50 Light Year Snapshot.

Our sun is a " rim star ".

http://www.atlasofth....com/50lys.html

Database is at the bottom of the webpage. Can you find all of the G2V Stars?

post-140740-0-33929900-1374261062_thumb.

Earth is on the Orion Arm.

There is a massive black hole at the center of our galaxy.

As far as Extraterrestrial Life, it looks like Alpha Centauri B is the closest.

I guess i should throw in a Stellarium link so you can plot your course relative to Earth.

http://www.stellarium.org

Edited by Tau Ceti Xeta
  • Like 4

Really puts things in perspective. We are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. In addition, while I don't believe we are being visited by extraterrestrial being, there has to be many planets teeming with life in our galaxy alone.

• Like 1

As for star systems, Alpha Centauri is indeed the closest.

As far as extraterrestrial life, that is completely unknown.

• Like 2

Really puts things in perspective. We are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. In addition, while I don't believe we are being visited by extraterrestrial being, there has to be many planets teeming with life in our galaxy alone.

100,000 Light Years from edge to edge

Teaming with life? Human or other?

Hi Tau you say that Earth is on the Orion Arm what do you mean exactly? Also how do you know that Alpha Centauri B has life on it?

Thanks!

In addition, while I don't believe we are being visited by extraterrestrial being, there has to be many planets teeming with life in our galaxy alone.

Since life on Earth required a series of extremely unlikely circumstances, it's equally possible that that are no other planets with life in our galaxy.

• Like 1

As for star systems, Alpha Centauri is indeed the closest.

As far as extraterrestrial life, that is completely unknown.

It looks like the Proper Name is: Rigil Kentaurus

4.4 Light Years

What's wrong with Alpha Centauri? It sounds better.

Since life on Earth required a series of extremely unlikely circumstances, it's equally possible that that are no other planets with life in our galaxy.

No other planets with life? Look how HUGE the Milky Way Galaxy is!

However, water appears to be hard find. You also better throw in a protective magnetosphere or the planet is doomed to look

like Mars. It gets blasted by solar wind with no shield. :cry:

Hi Tau you say that Earth is on the Orion Arm what do you mean exactly? Also how do you know that Alpha Centauri B has life on it?

Thanks!

Click on the picture i have attached at the top. Earth is at around 7 o'clock on that picture.

Our solar system is located on the Orion Arm and our solar system orbit is at a 60 degree angle relative to the galaxy.

It looks like we have a cool bar at the center of our galaxy.

Your opinion, but I would disagree, and say life is very possible in our galaxy. We just don't know yet. But we soon will. Call me an optimist.

Your opinion, but I would disagree, and say life is very possible in our galaxy. We just don't know yet. But we soon will. Call me an optimist.

Life is very possible? Human or Other?

This 3D View of our Milky Way Galaxy is just a 50 Light Year Snapshot.

Our sun is a " rim star ".

http://www.atlasofth....com/50lys.html

Database is at the bottom of the webpage. Can you find all of the G2V Stars?

post-140740-0-33929900-1374261062_thumb.

Earth is on the Orion Arm.

There is a massive black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Very cool. Thank you.

No other planets with life? Look how HUGE the Milky Way Galaxy is!

Yes, no other planets with life. Look at how many things had to happen PERFECTLY at JUST THE RIGHT TIME for life to not only appear on Earth but also not to be destroyed several times over. As you multiply the likelihood of all these things happening, you end up with a very VERY large and depressing number, and those are just the things we more or less know about.

There may be trillions of stars with no life around them. If life did appear on another planet it's most likely that it died off without leaving a trace.

Click on the picture i have attached at the top. Earth is at around 7 o'clock on that picture.

Our solar system is located on the Orion Arm and our solar system orbit is at a 60 degree angle relative to the galaxy.

It looks like we have a cool bar at the center of our galaxy.

That is awesome! I was looking at the link to begin with that is why I was confused! :tu: Also about the life on Alpha Centauri B what makes you certain life is on there?

Thanks!

Why on Earth (literally) would you think we'll know soon?

The more you learn about life on Earth, the more you realize that life is an extremely extraordinary occurrence in our universe. All the laws of physics and chemistry are against it happening. If you want to remain an optimist, I strongly recommend you avoid learning anything about how life on Earth (may have) happened.

Also about the life on Alpha Centauri B what makes you certain life is on there?

Because that would be the most convenient location for us on Earth?

Life is very possible? Human or Other?

Agreed "Life is very possible",but it wont be human like us,although it may be humanoid,because every planet which may ,or may not, support life is completely different in structure,size and atmosphere ,and therefore will have developed differently,throughout billions of years of planetary aging,and also it depends on the Star which it is circling.Cheers.

Agreed "Life is very possible",but it wont be human like us,although it may be humanoid,because every planet which may ,or may not, support life is completely different in structure,size and atmosphere ,and therefore will have developed differently,throughout billions of years of planetary aging,and also it depends on the Star which it is circling.Cheers.

Okay, i'll put you in the " other " column.

Maybe we could arrive at a new planet and find only turtles and dolphins.

Sounds like " Life " to me. Close enough.

Maybe we could arrive at a new planet and find only turtles and dolphins.

And what would they eat? Each other?

• Like 1

That is awesome! I was looking at the link to begin with that is why I was confused! :tu: Also about the life on Alpha Centauri B what makes you certain life is on there?

Thanks!

Oh, that!

Eureka !

Space.com makes an announcement!

http://www.space.com...a-centauri.html

................and may harbor other alien worlds as well................ WHAT ?!!!

Edited by Tau Ceti Xeta

[/size]

And what would they eat? Each other?

Oh yeah, the food chain. Go ahead and fill in the blanks. :blush:

Why on Earth (literally) would you think we'll know soon?

The more you learn about life on Earth, the more you realize that life is an extremely extraordinary occurrence in our universe. All the laws of physics and chemistry are against it happening. If you want to remain an optimist, I strongly recommend you avoid learning anything about how life on Earth (may have) happened.

Because that would be the most convenient location for us on Earth?

Scowl, I am a biologist (molecular biologist to be specific) and thus am well aware of the laws of physics and chemistry. The conditions under which life began could easily occur on any nascent planet. I'm not saying proto-life always develops into intelligent life. However, statistically speaking, some type of intelligent life is very likely in our galaxy (never mind the universe ).

Scowl, I am a biologist (molecular biologist to be specific) and thus am well aware of the laws of physics and chemistry. The conditions under which life began could easily occur on any nascent planet. I'm not saying proto-life always develops into intelligent life. However, statistically speaking, some type of intelligent life is very likely in our galaxy (never mind the universe ).

Molecular Biologist?

How far are we from creating our own Jurassic Park?

Can it be done?

Scowl, I am a biologist (molecular biologist to be specific) and thus am well aware of the laws of physics and chemistry. The conditions under which life began could easily occur on any nascent planet.

The conditions are a tiny fraction of what's necessary. That's like saying a hot oven could bake a cake so an oven is bound to produce a cake eventually. If life only needed pleasant conditions to appear, we'd be making life in laboratories.

You don't know how "easily" these conditions could occur. The only example we have is our solar system which suggests that planets tend to turn into barren rocks or giant balls of gas.

I'm not saying proto-life always develops into intelligent life. However, statistically speaking, some type of intelligent life is very likely in our galaxy (never mind the universe ).

What are these statistics you're referring to?

You don't know how "easily" these conditions could occur. The only example we have is our solar system which suggests that planets tend to turn into barren rocks or giant balls of gas.

Um, 1/8 of the planets in our solar system became habitable.