Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tulpa

ReaperS_ParadoX

The mind is a wonderful thing, and there's this idea that with great focus and discipline by imagining things you can bring them to the physical form, its a spiritual discipline and teaching concept in Tibetan Buddhism.

Mind-body link is a very basic thing in astrology, and also placebo is a very well-known effect. Those two, though they might be easily put under the influence of brain to the rest of our body through physical means, it might not be only that, who knows?

I read this account of this woman named Alexandra David-Neel who claimed to have created a tulpa in a friar tuck like monk which later developed a life of its own and had to be destroyed

The mind is a wonderful thing, and there's this idea that with great focus and discipline by imagining things you can bring them to the physical form, its a spiritual discipline and teaching concept in Tibetan Buddhism.

Probably, lucky for us to be able to do something like that it takes years of training

Imagining a red mustang with tan leather interior, this might take a while.

Ok, I am going to say this and be done with it. In witchcraft things come from some where. If you do a spell for money the money doesn't appear out of no where it comes from some place. Which is why you have to make sure the money doesn't come through harm to another, like someone dieing. You have to include that in the spell.

• Like 1

Imagining a red mustang with tan leather interior, this might take a while.

Ok, I am going to say this and be done with it. In witchcraft things come from some where. If you do a spell for money the money doesn't appear out of no where it comes from some place. Which is why you have to make sure the money doesn't come through harm to another, like someone dieing. You have to include that in the spell.

But how long would the spell take to do, I'm assuming its not an instantaneous thing, you've said that your a pagan right? Does that have any relation to Druids?

I was thinking that this could possibly be the reason so many people report seeing UFO's that just disappear or appear out of thin air

I'm going to try to conjure a thoughtform or a tulpa as a tulpa-as-nonsensical-balderdash. If I can achieve this and show it around, it will prove that tulpas are hokum, do not exist and can not be created.

Hopefully this will put an end to all this tulpa hokum, and all of us can then return to a rational and realistic worldview.

I'm going to try to conjure a thoughtform or a tulpa as a tulpa-as-nonsensical-balderdash. If I can achieve this and show it around, it will prove that tulpas are hokum, do not exist and can not be created.

Hopefully this will put an end to all this tulpa hokum, and all of us can then return to a rational and realistic worldview.

There are those words again "rational" and "realistic".... Often associated with " logical" and "scientific".

These things often melt down upon the margins and become the anthamas to their own meanings.

Tulpas intriuge me. Our shadow side often manifests in the Tulpa that's why I think it not wise to manifest the deep creations of the mind until one has mastered that beast within us. I am often reminded of the movie the abyss. Human beings were given the power of instant creation of anything, but only manifested horror.

We are to primitive yet to create beings out of our minds we should leave it to our wombs.

• Like 2

There are those words again "rational" and "realistic".... Often associated with " logical" and "scientific".

These things often melt down upon the margins and become the anthamas to their own meanings.

It's just that I think the "meltdowns" are within the mind, not out there in the real world.

Tulpas intriuge me. Our shadow side often manifests in the Tulpa that's why I think it not wise to manifest the deep creations of the mind until one has mastered that beast within us. I am often reminded of the movie the abyss. Human beings were given the power of instant creation of anything, but only manifested horror.

We are to primitive yet to create beings out of our minds we should leave it to our wombs.

Also the movie Sphere, works with the concept of anything that people imagine manifests into reality, but the characters kept manifesting there fears, instead of something better that would actually be useful

its just a question I put out there, everybody doesn't have your worldview buddy, this tulpa thing is a teaching in Tibetan Buddhism. But of course your entitled to your opinions

It's just that I think the "meltdowns" are within the mind, not out there in the real world.

I know what you mean. But the tulpa still can be a living entity. A multiple personality of sorts. Two programs in the same computer are still two different programs.

• Like 1

ts just a question I put out there, everybody doesn't have your worldview buddy, this tulpa thing is a teaching in Tibetan Buddhism. But of course your entitled to your opinions

I know the tulpa thing is a teaching in Tibetan Buddhism.

I think one can create a psychological tulpa, an "imaginary friend" so to speak. I think we all have these. One's conscience would be an example, as we are often not of one mind.

But, to create an external physical being from thought, my opinion is it is not possible. We may personally imagine this tulpa is a real external being, but this is imagination or delusion.

The movie "Forbidden Planet" would be an example of a technologically created tulpa, which may be possible using some future technology.

We may believe in tulpas, but until there is irrefutable empirical evidence for this phenomena, I remain a skeptic.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. But the tulpa still can be a living entity. A multiple personality of sorts. Two programs in the same computer are still two different programs.

I agree that psychological tulpas do exist (multiple personality disorder), but this is quite different than the mind creating physical objects.

But how long would the spell take to do, I'm assuming its not an instantaneous thing, you've said that your a pagan right? Does that have any relation to Druids?

No it is not instantaneous, I have had them take up to a month, Sometimes the actual spell can take a long time to do. I have a friend who is working on one that will take a year and a day. If it takes longer than a month I figure the spell didn't work.

Nothing to do with being a Druid. There are a lot of different kinds of Druids. Some practice witchcraft, some don't. I was a witch long before I decided on Druidry. You can still practice witchcraft and be a Druid. I just joined an eclectic coven, I am the only Druid in the group. There are not a lot of Pagans around you have to be flexible.

I think they exist... Maybe from people's minds

and fears is where night mares and ghosts

are created?

Or someone with a dark angry mind created the ghosts etc?

Like the way they say if someone died with lots of anger.. or

a violent death.. that energy stays in that place..

and manifests as an evil or violent or vengeful spirit....

It would makes sense that it's possible..

I agree that psychological tulpas do exist (multiple personality disorder), but this is quite different than the mind creating physical objects.

This is a physicalist perspective. Buddhists tend not to be physicalists. To many Buddhists what is in the mind is more real than what a physicalist might call objective reality. I think there is a reference to this in the opening passages of one of the Buddhist scriptures.

I would ask what's the difference if an alternate created personality performed an action while the other personality is unaware. The tulip exists, it has a body, it performs actions , and the tulpas creator can actually see it from time time, and others can see it when in its present. I don't see the relevance if it has a separate physical body or not. It still can perform physical actions.

I am extremely interested in this because multiple personalities can manifest amazing physical traits. One personality can actually be diabetic on a physical level and one not. Eyesite, sicknesses, disorders are actually documented to change between personalities. This tells me that the mind has more amazing healing abilities than has ever imagined. Tulpa creations, I think are a gateway to figuring a way to use this power of the mind.

• Like 1

would ask what's the difference if an alternate created personality performed an action while the other personality is unaware. The tulip exists, it has a body, it performs actions , and the tulpas creator can actually see it from time time, and others can see it when in its present. I don't see the relevance if it has a separate physical body or not. It still can perform physical actions.

I agree, but what does this have to do with Buddhism? I view this as a psychological phenomenon. There are all sorts of schools of Buddhism, some more esoteric than others, but I would consider the Buddha's original teachings to be to discourage adding any super- naturalism to the functions of the mind.I don't think your above post indicates this, however.

I do think creating alternate personalities for oneself can be a dangerous endeavor, though. In my opinion, I don't think the Buddha would approve. I think he would consider one mind is enough, as he stressed the one mind as being the essential mind.

I agree, but what does this have to do with Buddhism? I view this as a psychological phenomenon. There are all sorts of schools of Buddhism, some more esoteric than others, but I would consider the Buddha's original teachings to be to discourage adding any super- naturalism to the functions of the mind.I don't think your above post indicates this, however.

I do think creating alternate personalities for oneself can be a dangerous endeavor, though. In my opinion, I don't think the Buddha would approve. I think he would consider one mind is enough, as he stressed the one mind as being the essential mind.

Agreed. I don't think the Buddha would approve at all. It seems to be more an exercise in will than anything else. Besides, I don't think It would work if one did not beleive it to be a real physical manifestation. Belief probably is part of the equation.

My real problem with people discounting the tulpa is that they act like it's complete nonsense when really it's very deep and powerful phenomenon. Note. I did not say healthy.

“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think.” Buddha

The concept of the mind manifesting things in the world is true, but not necessarily through spells or magic, if we look at the modern world what we can see is the manifestation of peoples MIND? That’s the trouble, what we are manifesting is the minds love of materialism with all its negative aspects, selfishness, greed, hate and the loss of compassion for other people, other species and our environment. We need to learn to use/focus our minds through meditation not let our mind use us, because it is simply the Mind that divides us, we ‘think’ of ourselves through ‘reason’ as separate from everything around us and yet through the eyes of Love and appreciation brought about by meditation we can see the Unity in all things.

“If every 8yr old in the world is taught meditation, we will eliminate violence from the world within one generation” Dalai Lama

• Like 3

Keep in mind all the miraculous appearances of the Buddha;

"The Mahajima Nikaya states that Buddha had more superpowers than any other being including being able to walk on water which is further verified in the Angutara Nikaya. Buddha could multiply into a million and then return, he could travel through space, he could make himself as big as a giant and then as small as an ant, walk through mountains, he could dive in and out of the earth, he could travel to Heavens to school the Gods and return to earth."

Every religion has it's foundational miracle stories, and that's exactly what they are, stories.

• Like 2

Keep in mind all the miraculous appearances of the Buddha;

"The Mahajima Nikaya states that Buddha had more superpowers than any other being including being able to walk on water which is further verified in the Angutara Nikaya. Buddha could multiply into a million and then return, he could travel through space, he could make himself as big as a giant and then as small as an ant, walk through mountains, he could dive in and out of the earth, he could travel to Heavens to school the Gods and return to earth."

Every religion has it's foundational miracle stories, and that's exactly what they are, stories.

You can believe what you want, but proclaiming they're just stories tells you'd know better. Do you really? I dont, I keep cards open. "If I can't verify it, it must not exist." isn't valid logic to me. But each to their own.

How would we exactly verify that they were just stories? You've probably heard of the theory that Jesus spent time on a tibetan or a far east monastery, according to theory he learned making miracles there. I'm not very sceptical on his ability to heal people with just laying hands, I believe it's very possible, there's placebo which is well-known, but also cases of people having even walked off wheelchairs after visiting a place, or dying of unexplained cause after having thought for years he had cancer due to a misdiagnosis, although he didn't have it. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus did learn his miracles from there.

If you think of those proclaimed abilities of Buddha, and all the things people here do or at least say they do, or cases of things people have done, there's astral travelling, astral projection, tulpa.. those three, if you could do all those three and have more control over all of them and combine them, perform them more easily, perhaps while being fully awake or in meditation, performing them in less restricted conditions and time-frames than they're usually performed... then might it not sound like something that Buddha was said to have done?

But the stories of Buddha, I'm not familiar with them, but a friend of mine who's more acquinted with religious texts of all kinds said the bible is more metaphoras to him than something that's to be taken literally. If it was the same with Buddha's abilities, then it might've just been that he had an extraordinary presense, a very intense person.

Edited by Mikko-kun

I know the tulpa thing is a teaching in Tibetan Buddhism.

I think one can create a psychological tulpa, an "imaginary friend" so to speak. I think we all have these. One's conscience would be an example, as we are often not of one mind.

But, to create an external physical being from thought, my opinion is it is not possible. We may personally imagine this tulpa is a real external being, but this is imagination or delusion.

The movie "Forbidden Planet" would be an example of a technologically created tulpa, which may be possible using some future technology.

We may believe in tulpas, but until there is irrefutable empirical evidence for this phenomena, I remain a skeptic.

But do you think that something can become so real in a persons mind that it actually has an effect on there physical surroundings, as in being able to move objects around a room and do other things?

No it is not instantaneous, I have had them take up to a month, Sometimes the actual spell can take a long time to do. I have a friend who is working on one that will take a year and a day. If it takes longer than a month I figure the spell didn't work.

Nothing to do with being a Druid. There are a lot of different kinds of Druids. Some practice witchcraft, some don't. I was a witch long before I decided on Druidry. You can still practice witchcraft and be a Druid. I just joined an eclectic coven, I am the only Druid in the group. There are not a lot of Pagans around you have to be flexible.

What spell will take a year and a day, if you don't mind me asking