Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unconscious man in Californian Motel..

keithisco

In a bizarre indident, a USA Citizen Michael Boatwright regains consciousness with no memory of his life, and could only speak Swedish..

The 61-year-old had been found unconscious in a California motel with no memory of his past.

When he opened his eyes in a medical centre he called himself Johan Ek and spoke just Swedish.

Despite extensive enquiries, police were unable to contact any relatives or find anything out about Mr Boatwright, according to the Desert Sun newspaper

Read More, courtesy of The Daily Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/american-man-baffles-doctors-after-2057632

the only drawback, is that he would only really be understood in sweden.

as an american, it would be far better if he'd woke up and would be able to speak english instead.....

:-D

• Like 1

QUOTE-

"Sometimes it makes me really sad

and sometimes it just makes me

furious about the whole situation and the fact that I don't know anybody, I don't recognise anybody," he said-

-Through his interpreter.....

I find this fascinating. I hope more of the story unfolds when they find some sort of kin. Has he ever spent time is Sweden? Maybe he spoke Swedish as a second language and lost his English. Genetic memory? Past Life? Oddly enough this isn't the first time I've heard a story like this.

the history of xenoglossia has a bit of a checkered past TLS-

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoglossy

with most cases failing under close scrutiny.

what IS interesting about the phenomena though, is the fact that sufferers often claim a new identity to go with their new language, like the case of mr Johan Ek in the OP.

so you may be right in thinking these might be fragments of memory from some half-remembered past life.....

• Like 1

Well, I´d come down on the side of the sceptics on this one. It sounds too much like the "Piano man" in UK. Remember that one?

But fake or not, it would be interesting to trace back the guy`s life.

• Like 1

He cold be second or third gen. American

The article provided by the OP is not entirely accurate.

After growing up in Miami, Boatwright first visited Sweden in 1981, friends said, where he learned to speak Swedish and hooked up with a girlfriend, Ewa Espling

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sister-swedish-speaking-amnesia-patient-disappeared-article-1.1400928#ixzz2ZhcPI3OA

• Like 3

Sounds like the guy had a stroke, something similar happened to a friend of mine who thereafter spoke with an Scottish accent he never had before.

• Like 1

Sounds like the guy had a stroke, something similar happened to a friend of mine who thereafter spoke with an Scottish accent he never had before.

In this case, however, there is a clear connection of previously acquiring a Swedish language knowledge, or maybe that's what you mean in your post as well.

Edited by pallidin

Interesting but if the guy have been previously exposed to the Swedish language this might be the work of his subconscious at work. Nonetheless it is truly amazing in terms of how our brain really works and the amount of information it can stock in.

Edited by sam_comm

It sounds too much like the "Piano man" in UK.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the title...... :nw::clap:

There is mention of why the hospital is calling him an American by the name of Boatwright. After all he is saying his name is Johan Elk. Why isn't he being taken seriously?

The article doesn't say they whether identification was found on him or if they got the info from the hotel.

Did you know him before the stroke?

The article provided by the OP is not entirely accurate.

After growing up in Miami, Boatwright first visited Sweden in 1981, friends said, where he learned to speak Swedish and hooked up with a girlfriend, Ewa Espling

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...8#ixzz2ZhcPI3OA

Well, there you go... mystery solved as to who he is. Why he calls himself Johan Ek is still unknown though.

• Like 1

I agree. That pretty much solves the miraculous change in language.

Well, there you go... mystery solved as to who he is. Why he calls himself Johan Ek is still unknown though.

Maybe because he found a girlfriend n sweden and didn't want to many knowing.

• Like 2

Something like this happened to my dad.he was geting his hand worked on by the doc and they gave him laughing gas and my dad was speaking 100 percent Italian to the doc and the doc was talking to him in Italiano

Then when my dad came out of it he spoke English again.

We are Italian but my dad can't speak it only this time lol

• Like 1

SwedishChefSmall.jpg
  • Like 2

Are they 100% sure they do have Mister Boastman and not Johan Elk who just happens to look a LOT like Boatman?

• Like 1

Reminds me of a psych prof making fun of a condition called "psychogenic fugue" people "wake up" and they've forgotten their past and started over again in a new city....but it's never a worse city or circumstance :)

• Like 1

We only feel that this is mysterious because we do not have an explanation for these types of occurrences. Nothing in Creation should be a mystery to man if man lives in the conscious Will of Almighty. He will provide answers to all happenings himself and will not be confused by several articles and reports of those who still try to explain spiritual occurrences with their intellect.

Science is man's intellectual approach in understanding his earthly surrounding by studying and be able to harness knowledge about them for the good benefits of mankind. From it we were able to invent gadgets, infrastructures, technologies etc to make our life on Earth comfortable. It is good for classifications, sorting, identification etc of anything that has to do with the physical nature of earth and other celestial bodies (both far and near) around it but when it rises its hands to explain things above it, it will fail and it fails woefully.

Science will always write rubbish about things that are inexplicable to them. Science can never ever explain what happens to human being after death because it is above it and does not belong in realm of gross matter. Over cultivation or dominion of the intellect over the spirit has made man lost knowledge of a lot of happenings in Creation that atimes he would explicitly deny their occurrence or shows no interest. Science lacks the connections to understand and explain things that are beyond it. Doctors calls this anomaly transient global amnesia, a condition triggered by physical or emotional trauma that can last for several months. The rare mental disorder is characterised by memory loss, "sudden and unplanned travel", and possible adoption of a

new identity. Lack of knowledge about this makes man formulate ambiguous words/jargons to describe that which is simple.

We have a physically invisible world in our world which science is never aware of and will continuously deny its existence. Yet, it is there whether we accept or not and we cannot live perfectly well here on Earth without the harmonious workings of this invisible world with our Planet Earth. Science believes the human mind is the ultimate after which no more consciousness after death but that is a big lie. The core of human beings is the spirit. The spirit is the ultimate!!

This world and the physically invisible worlds are same. Same uniform Laws permeate through them and when we start to understand how this world and the beyond are intertwined, then a lot which were inexplicable hitherto will be known. Human beings are never alone physically. When a person dies physically, that is not the end of him. The soul leaves the body and goes to the planes in the beyond which it had prepared for itself and continues to experience there. If by chance it is earthbound i.e a propensity links to this earth plane, he/she will always be around earth men according to the propensity attached to this particular soul. Hence we have alien souls in beyond or discarnate souls around trying to possess or ready to possess any available physical body that is intact and not destroyed in order to manifest their intents in this physical world again. When a person that has been periodically or temporarily possessed by a discarnate soul wakes up, he will be totally different from the former that those who knew him will recognise him as a different personality. The rightful owner's soul will be push aside by the alien spirit but not totally without endangering the life of the body itself. This explains the double life of the person concerned. The rightful owner maybe speaker of English language and after possession took place starts to speak Latin which maybe is the language of the discarnate soul while on earth formerly. This term is called xenoglossy. So many and varied are the possibilities that one cannot not just attached to this particular American/Swedish scenario.

We are never left at the mercy of an alien spirit to possess our physical bodies. Either the victim's spirit is lazy or weak otherwise his own natural defences should be strong enough to prevent him from such attacks. Sometimes it could be through sudden accidents and after gaining consciousness, another personality emerges. Example is the case of a Turkish child who never learnt English suddenly began to speak and almost the first thing he said was, "What am I doing here? I was at the port." Later on he described details in the life of a dockworker who had fallen asleep in the hold of a ship. A heavy oil drum had fallen on him and killed him instantly. A similar explanation goes to mysteries about ghost haunts and been possessed.

The Truth explains all and many more and if any human would open himself to It and examine It objectively, you will always laugh at the stupid excuses i.e theories, principles etc science is always trying to use in explaining phenonmenas that are beyond it. Infact it will be ridiculous to you. Humanity has been advised to seek and he who earnestly seek will one day encounter the Truth which will change the life concerned.

*Snip*

Edited by Still Waters
Removed personal info.

• 4 weeks later...