Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dubai: Rapist gets 13 months...

keithisco

In yet another astonishing reminder that women are 2nd class citizens in the Middle East, this article should make you ask whether a "Dream Holiday" to Dubai, or taking up that tax free job there should even be countenanced by west europeans...

Read More Courtesy of the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23381448

And for some odd reason people keep going there. Is the beach really all that great? You could never get me to go to the Middle East.

• Like 3

Most people don't read world news. At most they hear things on the radio or whatever CNN/FOX decides to run. Otherwise the rest of what goes on is a unknown to them.

• Like 1

A journalist documented the living conditions of workers who build those big skyscrapers in Dubai, it was on Vice video in youtube. I'd say I'd rather live outside in Finland, winter, butt-naked, alone in the middle of a forest, than how those workers lived. Their passports were confiscated and all that, they had debts due to which they had to stay and work and they didn't have much of a choise. So it's a great place to go if you want to support fair working conditions for everybody.

QUOTE-

"According to the Emirates Centre for Human Rights, UAE law states a rape conviction can only be secured after a confession or as the result of testimony from four adult male witnesses to the crime."

this is a joke, right?!

like rapists always invite their mates along to watch, or do the deed on crowded streets in plain view of everyone.

for such a rich and "cosmopolitan" country, they need to be dragged kicking & screaming into the 16th century.....

• Like 2

"Emirates Centre for Human Rights"

has got to be a bigger ****ing misnomer than "alcohol-free beer"

• Like 1

Dubia's like that , didn't she know?

Some people think the law is just fine.

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=250872

Somehow I knew that was going to be KoS post before I clicked on it. Islamic-based laws are simply incompatible with western values. There is no bridge that can be made between the two.

They should have learned by now it's not a woman's fault if she gets pregnant in cases like this. They can't be that uneducated...

http://www.smh.com.a...0722-2qd44.html

Dalelv claims during an interview about the assault police asked her: 'Are you sure you called the police because you just didn't like it?'

She replied: '"Well of course I didn't like it." That is when I knew, I don't think they are going to believe me at all.'

Edited by DieChecker

UPDATE-

The norwegian woman sentenced to 16mths for "illicit sex" has been pardoned, and told she is free to leave the country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dubai-rape-case-norwegian-woman-receives-pardon-after-being-jailed-8726071.html

she should never have been put into prison in the first place, but at least now she can begin to put the ordeal behind her.....

• Like 3

UPDATE-

The norwegian woman sentenced to 16mths for "illicit sex" has been pardoned, and told she is free to leave the country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dubai-rape-case-norwegian-woman-receives-pardon-after-being-jailed-8726071.html

she should never have been put into prison in the first place, but at least now she can begin to put the ordeal behind her.....

And she was given a longer sentence than her attacker. I should say "alleged" as they didn't bother investigating in the first place.

that's weird .. dubai is not a strict country

but i can see from the update she was let go free that's good

and here is the explainations

some westerns .. sorry to say this but just trying to explain

have been known to practice prostitution in middle eastern countries

in which case the woman must have been suspect of such and when she was proved not she was lat go

i don't mean to sound rude but it happens and perhaps that was the case here

a filthy man with lot of money hires those girls from the west which he chooses " good looking and poor "

and bring them to middle eastern countries to practice such work

anyway .. didn't want to move off-topic but it was worth mentioning

since i have seen such things happens in my country over here before few years

which is why authority might have made that mistake

No woman of any nation should willingly travel to Dubai. Most western men should not either.

She is fortunate that her syoty hit the press and she had people with money to press her case.

The average woman wouldn't have those benefits.

• Like 1