Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mission to visit Moon's south pole by 2016

Saru

The unmanned privately funded mission could see a telescope set up on top of a lunar mountain.

The launch of Man’s first-ever mission to the Moon’s south pole was announced by two private US companies which plan to set telescopes on top of a lunar mountain as early as 2016.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Has there ever been an attempt to land on the dark side of the moon? I have always been curious about what may be there.

Has there ever been an attempt to land on the dark side of the moon? I have always been curious about what may be there.

Not sure if there has been a landing, but the "so-called" dark side of the moon has been imaged by orbiting spacecraft many times.

Remember, the "dark side" of the moon is only dark to us on Earth.

It's "dark side" is actually sun-illuminated collectively as much as the "bright-side"

We on Earth just never see it because of the way our Moon is "locked" in rotation.

Ever seen a "crescent moon" or such? Of course, everyone has.

What most do not realize is that during that event the Sun substantially illuminates part of the so-called "dark side" as if a bright day.

And during a "total lunar eclipse", the entire dark side of the moon is as bright as day as well. Only moon orbiting satellites can see that.

NASA has many pics of this.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

I didn't know that, Pallidin. Thank you.

And during a "total lunar eclipse", the entire dark side of the moon is as bright as day as well. Only moon orbiting satellites can see that.

NASA has many pics of this.

Not just during a solar eclipse, every time there's a new moon on earth, the "dark side" of the moon is fully illuminated.
  • Like 1

No not yet, w would need some sats in place first for communication.

Paladin, I think you mean total soler eclipse.

• Like 1

I didn't know that, Pallidin. Thank you.

Yes, you can do a simple experiment to visualize what happens. In a darkened room take a lamp, remove the shade, have a friend hold a ball in their hand (anything from a tennis ball to a volley ball, whatever) and walk around the lamp while you remain stationary just below the light bulb so as not to block the "sun". You can see the phase that the moon exhibits easily this way. If you color one side of the ball you can and always keep that side toward you, you can see not only the "light side of moon" but the "dark side" as well goes through the same phases of illumination.

• Like 1

Cover the true reason. Just like the whaling. For scientific research! Yeah ok.Ow and whilst were here lets do some mining. All for galactic conquest :)

Cover the true reason.

The article did. That you chose not to believe it is your problem.

Just like the whaling. For scientific research! Yeah ok.Ow and whilst were here lets do some mining. All for galactic conquest :)

That's total and utter nonsense.

Why would they lie about it? When the time comes for commercial lunar mining then the companies that attempt it will be open about it, just as those who have started up with the intention of mining are open about it now.

This is a small research craft. No mining is involved, unless you have discovered how to mine using a telescope, I'd be interested to learn how that works.

The vehicle has no ability to return material to the Earth so even if there is some magical way to mine using a telescope (which there isn't) mining would be pointless.

At the moment lunar mining is simply not commercially viable and will probably remain that way for some considerable time to go. However there are as the article says, resources at the lunar poles which could help support future bases on the moon.

One day man will mine the moon, but not yet.

There is simply no connection between whaling and scientific missions to the moon.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 1

I have to agree with dwarf. Whaling came long before research real or fake came along. First for food then oil then research.

Paladin, I think you mean total soler eclipse.

Sorry, my bad.

after seeing Moonshadow's comment, and having some vague childhood memory of the russians sending a probe to the far (not dark) side of the moon (they were the first to land on the moon, but not the far side.) i came across this page-

http://m.wisegeek.com/why-does-the-same-side-of-the-moon-always-face-the-earth.htm

and thank christ i chose this site instead of that one.

some of the comments on there had me spitting coffee with hilarity!

i honestly didn't know people could be so preposterously stoopid!!

*insert OMFG smiley here*

Almost all moons are gravity locked in our system. One planet venus actually has a longer day than a year.

Everyone including the Govt's of nations like and know that the Japanese whaling expeditions are nothing to do with scientific research! So much whale meat is being made into pet food in Japan. An endangered species being made into pet food, I'm not the only one on the planet to have a huge issue with this.

• Like 1

Everyone including the Govt's of nations like and know that the Japanese whaling expeditions are nothing to do with scientific research! So much whale meat is being made into pet food in Japan. An endangered species being made into pet food, I'm not the only one on the planet to have a huge issue with this.

This is about as off topic as it is possible to be. Whaling has nothing to do with lunar exploration. Feel free to start your own topic giving your views on whaling but please don't hijack this thread for that purpose. Thank you.

and that somehow is connected to the Moon because?