Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Love

Grandpa Greenman

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another is essential to your own,"

Heinlein "Stranger In a Strange Land"

I had to write an essay on this today. It end up rather personal (professors like that kind of thing.) and I am not post what I actually wrote. What I essentially said was when you love someone, even if it causes you sorrow, you will do what is best for them to be happy over what is best for you. What does the quote mean to you?

• Like 3

That statement is true and if this person isn't doing what makes you happy in return then you may care much more about them than they do you. Pleasing is a two way street or it will get old for the one having to do all the pleasing.

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another is essential to your own,"

Heinlein "Stranger In a Strange Land"

I had to write an essay on this today. It end up rather personal (professors like that kind of thing.) and I am not post what I actually wrote. What I essentially said was when you love someone, even if it causes you sorrow, you will do what is best for them to be happy over what is best for you. What does the quote mean to you?

It is called Agape love my friend: http://dictionary.re...owse/agape love

Edited by markdohle

Love is an aspect of life's interconnection. It is what binds us together. Living things are the creators of love.

• Like 1

That quote is common sense to me.

If you truly love someone, how can you be happy if they're not?

Obviously it's going to affect you.

Too many people throw around the word 'love' without thinking twice about it.

When I love, I love with all of me.

That quote is common sense to me.

If you truly love someone, how can you be happy if they're not?

Obviously it's going to affect you.

Too many people throw around the word 'love' without thinking twice about it.

When I love, I love with all of me.

Loving all the way is the only way to go. Either we're all the way in or we're not really in at all.

It isn't a no brainier for everybody, Some people will suck you dry and walk all over you then wonder why you moved on. Some people will think they know what will make you happy but really it all for their benefit. Some people no matter what you do they aren't happy. Standing in the woods alone and you're still wrong. The last person I dated was like that. I decided she must not like me, so I decide I had enough of that. It isn't easy to fine the right person.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

I think it means you put the other person ahead of yourself...

because you love them so much....

but true love is hard to find in this world..

well at least the romantic kind..

It isn't a no brainier for everybody, Some people will suck you dry and walk all over you then wonder why you moved on. Some people will think they know what will make you happy but really it all for their benefit. Some people no matter what you do they aren't happy. Standing in the woods alone and you're still wrong. The last person I dated was like that. I decided she must not like me, so I decide I had enough of that. It isn't easy to fine the right person.

Yes love calls us to a type of death, that leads to a fuller life. The reward of love is to love more deeply and fully.

peace

mark

And some people will call sucking you dry and walking all over you acts of love, when they are not. Love & religion are alike in that the words are often used to justify terrible acts. Unfortunately, because of the misapplication of the words & concepts people tend to blame the institutions instead of those who misuse the terms.

DW. The OP for me doesn’t go far enough; I have found that the Love we all carry within us seems limitless, if we return to our centre. After meditation the feeling of Peace that is revealed is actually the space beyond mind where Love manifests in its unlimited form, it is unconditional, unlike most of the ‘loves’ we talk about, I love my I phone, my car, my house, my wife (until the divorce) etc. We are controlled by our thought maker / mind it will find reasons for what it will let us feel, it will not allow us to feel love as we should, that is why we can then hate those we loved. I am finding after years of meditation that this unconditional Love is always there for us to experience and from it compassion and gratitude for all of Life, people, animals, the environment and an appreciation for every single BREATH, with the first one we arrive with the last one we leave it is the magic of life coursing through us. With the missing piece; the feeling of unconditional Love in our lives we become complete, a true human.

what if … What if our religion was each other, if our practice was our life, if prayer our words? What if the temple was the earth, if forests were our church, if holy waters – the rivers, lakes and oceans. What if meditation was our relationships, if the teacher was life, if wisdom was self knowledge and if LOVE was the centre of our being? G.White

what if … What if our religion was each other, if our practice was our life, if prayer our words? What if the temple was the earth, if forests were our church, if holy waters – the rivers, lakes and oceans. What if meditation was our relationships, if the teacher was life, if wisdom was self knowledge and if LOVE was the centre of our being? G.White

I am a Reformed Druid. That is my religion. ;)

• Like 1