Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Global warming 'on pause' but set to resume

Still Waters

Ah, the "deniers".

That is what is such a giveaway about the global warming movement.... the doubters are attacked in religious terms. They are "deniers". Why not come out and call us infidels.

I've heard worse ideas.

That fact that all of science is BASED on continuous doubt and re-examination and not on dogma somehow got lost here.

And what if that science keeps reaffirming the findings?

By they way, can I assume that Cornelius is a denier of the danger of cow farts to our climate?

That's a hilarious story. You ought to read up on it.

Doug

Climate change I real. It is also completely at the control of nature.

Global warming caused only by man is not real, further when you see the words global warming, think redestrabutiin of wealth from the usa to the world.

The beef industry is a net contributor to climate change - fact. However it is primarily through land use change in South America rather than methane emissions from cows arses.

Br Cornelius

I get the you don't understand comment, when I disagree with them and sometimes I am stupid or an idiot.

Daniel,

You are one of the few who actually think about the issues. Even though we disagree, you should stick to your guns. Keep on reading and questioning.

Doug

Daniel,

You are one of the few who actually think about the issues. Even though we disagree, you should stick to your guns. Keep on reading and questioning.

Doug

Oh, dear. I didn't even get that posted before you shot me down. But keep reading.

Doug

Global warming caused only by man is not real, further when you see the words global warming, think redestrabutiin of wealth from the usa to the world.

You succinctly put the state of knowledge, but draw the wrong conclusions. Climate change is real and always has been, science has known this for a long time. Science has never claimed that all climate change is man made. It does however attribute at least half of the last centuries climate change to CO2.

This is based on a basic understanding of the physical properties of CO2 and careful measurements of the energy balance of the planet.

Br Cornelius

If you want to continue with this and retain any credibility,

Lol

Since you haven't expressed anything but opinion so far, I think my assessment is more than fair.

Br Cornelius

Oh come on, that's bit precious, isn't it.

"if you want to retain any credibility, you'd better listen to the Experts, i.e. me." :tsu:

Oh come on, that's bit precious, isn't it.

"if you want to retain any credibility, you'd better listen to the Experts, i.e. me." :tsu:

No you had better be prepared to defend your position with evidence.

Until you join that debate - you have no credibility - just unsupported opinion.

Br Cornelius

Natural climate change has been around since forever. But by definition, global warming is that which is over and above what is natural. Separating the natural from the man-made is largely a statistical process. That's why so many people don't get it - they mistrust statistics because they don't know how to do it. That problem is easily remedied with a textbook, but how many people are nerdy enough to do the studying?

I don't have to trust somebody else to tell me whether climate is warming up. I can see the CO2 signal in my tree rings. I can see and measure a temperature-related curve in the residuals from the CO2 regression. It's real. I have personally checked it out.

You can say global warming isn't real, but my shortleaf pines give that the lie. Which do you think I'm going to believe?

Don't trust the experts. The science isn't all that hard. Become an expert; do your own work. Then you'll know just how true global warming is or isn't.

Doug

Regarding the opening report, this picture places it nicely into context;

Escalator_2012_500.gif

Many pauses - overall warming.

Br Cornelius

This is the typical pattern: the sawtooth. Periods of rapid warming followed by slow decline then renewed warming. It works at both micro and macro scales whether you're talking about decades or ice ages.

Doug

• Like 2

So you are both deniers of the impact of cow farts?

Or not?

Or not?

In terms of warming, CO2 is CO2 and methane is methane. The effects are cumulative.

Doug

Or not?

Just out of curiosity, when/where did they deny it?

So you're saying that methane is a global warming agent? Are you implying that there is indeed a global warming (contradicting what you've stated so far), or are you just trying to attack and discredit them on their own "field"?

As a matter of fact, by the way, methane is a more "effective" green house gas than CO2, there's not much debate about.

I don't understand why some people still don't want to see what's going on.

Like danielost rightly said, natural climate change is real.

With or without us, Earth climate changes, it always did and it will always do. The problem is that now we're helping the process, accelerating this natural process.

And, with a grain of salt and a bit of intellectual honesty, we can see how that's true: if we know that the gases we're producing as a byproduct of our industrial activity have a green house effect, what will happen if we raise by tens of times the average level of those gases? Probably the green house effect will raise too. And with it the global warming. We don't know how much (modern) man is involved in the process, but he surely is.

Anyway, let's say that we're not responsible for global warming. Do you think that's our only problem? The same gases incriminated are also toxic for us. We have a little problem called pollution, that to me sometimes people forget about.

Even if we don't count for climate change, would it be so terrible to reduce pollution production with alternative (clean) energy sources?

• Like 1

Even if we don't count for climate change, would it be so terrible to reduce pollution production with alternative (clean) energy sources?

Admitting any responsibility would mean paying to clean up the mess. It's better to go with the cheaper option, no matter how dirty it is. We can't change until it's cheap to do so.

It's incredibly short sighted, but that seems to be the basic logic.

Admitting any responsibility would mean paying to clean up the mess. It's better to go with the cheaper option, no matter how dirty it is. We can't change until it's cheap to do so.

It's incredibly short sighted, but that seems to be the basic logic.

Sadly true.

And it won't be cheaper anytime soon, since it wouldn't be profitable for the strong powers.

So, we have been told for the last fifteen years that the tempature has been going up. No, they say ub never mind it didn't happen. They then say it will happen soon be prepared for it.

Then those who back this doom and gloom crap start showing us charts that say their experts don't know what their talking about. Gee, I have been saying that for fifteen years.

Did any of them take into account the mini ice age during the revolutionary war in which the world temp dropped one degree. Did any of them take into account that large valcanic explosion heard around the world in whiach the world wide temp. dropped another degree. If your keeping track that was two degrees. Then the experts said temps went up one degree during the twentieth century. By my count we are still one degree down.

Is climate change happening yes. Are we having an affect on it yes. Are we causeing it no. The only reason they keep pushing it is in their liberal minds they want to punish theuaa for being successful.

Or not?

Whose cow farts. According to the last story I read chinese cow farts are helping the environment, only usa cow farts are hurting the environment.

I gdt it doug as stated in the above post. But I don't look at your chart in steps. I look at the ahole thing and what it saysis it ihas been getting warmer and warmer long before we started our first industrail factory, and it is due to start falling soon.

As I said global arming is just an attempt to still money from the usa. We are giving away enough money. We even give money to china so they can loan it back to. us.

I gdt it doug as stated in the above post. But I don't look at your chart in steps. I look at the ahole thing and what it saysis it ihas been getting warmer and warmer long before we started our first industrail factory, and it is due to start falling soon.

As I said global arming is just an attempt to still money from the usa. We are giving away enough money. We even give money to china so they can loan it back to. us.

Actually, the lowest temp of the 20th century was in 1908. There was a low temp in 1841, then a high point in the 1870s or 80s (I don't remember.) and then it went down. And that was well after the beginning of the Industrial Revolution; although, things weren't really cranked up yet then.

There're some folks on here who are trying to convince me that it's falling right now. It's not. Temps have been edging up gradually since about 2006. They're higher now than they were in 1998, whether the deniers like it or not. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm expecting a change next year or the following one.

Anyway, I'm burning the midnight oil tonight, so I guess I'd better get to work.

Doug

Just out of curiosity, when/where did they deny it?

OK, not denying, but ignoring.

While they pretend that we can and must regulate the planetary climate with all sorts of taxes and government programs, they have quietly dropped the concept of taxing cows, or at least legislating putting balloons on their bottoms. But according to a UN report, the cow farts are actually MORE damaging to our precious climate than CO2.

Have they explained the discrepancy?