Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why oh why do some Christians?

White Crane Feather

I was talking with a long time aquantence today at Starbucks. We have known each other in the capacity of always haveing visited the same coffe shops over the years and basically use them as our offices. He is a good guy, but we were talking about religion today and it came out that I do not believe that the Christian resurrection occurred "in the flesh" as many Christians claim. He was utterly shocked. He simply could not get over it. I tried to explain to him that its not a choice to believe or not. I simply can't for obvious reasons.

How can an otherwise intelligent modern man be so shocked that I cannot beleive in mythology from half a world away? He is not the only one. The funnything is that I have some pretty amazing claims myself, so it's not that I don't believe in spirituality. It irritates me to no end that I am viewed differently and negatively simply because I cannot be Christian.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose it's because the Resurrection is such an importnat part of Christian theology, it's the clincher for Jesus' claim (or the claims made about him) to be the son of God, I suppose. Of course, thee are all sorts of metaphorical interpretations that you could put on it, but I suppose it is understandable that people would get defensive about it.

Two thousand years of propoganda will not be overturned so easily. When more people think rationally about "resurection", and not simply accept what they have been told, then this belief will eventually fade away, even if it is the core of Christianity. I view this rather as Zhou Enlai, when asked some years back about the effects of the French Revolution, said that it was too soon to say. It could be said that the concurent events of the Enlightenment are still at work and we probably will not see the eventual result in our, or maybe even in our grandchildren's lifetimes. I believe that in the case of the overturn of Christiantiy, time is on our side, we must simply be patient, but not complacent. It took the Christians more than 300 years to gain power, and I think it will not take much less time to reverse this. Though dating from the enlightenment, maybe that time is not so far in the future.

And to be clear to those who do not like what I say, I talk about the power, direct or indirect, held by Christianity, I have no complaint about what individuals believe, or not believe.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri
  • Like 2

Because... you live in the USA.

• Like 1

I was talking with a long time aquantence today at Starbucks. We have known each other in the capacity of always haveing visited the same coffe shops over the years and basically use them as our offices. He is a good guy, but we were talking about religion today and it came out that I do not believe that the Christian resurrection occurred "in the flesh" as many Christians claim. He was utterly shocked. He simply could not get over it. I tried to explain to him that its not a choice to believe or not. I simply can't for obvious reasons.

How can an otherwise intelligent modern man be so shocked that I cannot beleive in mythology from half a world away? He is not the only one. The funnything is that I have some pretty amazing claims myself, so it's not that I don't believe in spirituality. It irritates me to no end that I am viewed differently and negatively simply because I cannot be Christian.

Well because religion is a form of mind control. You went outside of his program and he didn't know how to react.

You were like a gliche in his software. Don't feel bad about not being a Christian. Be glad you are not under

mind control and you ask questions and look for the truth. These people just stick to the same dogma without asking questions.

They just follow along with the religion program.I just think of them as outdated computers that can't open up new programs.

They are infected with the religion virus.

• Like 1

I think it's just a prime example of taking the bible and all that literally without questioning. I mean, I dont know whether you should take it literally or not, but I know you can find some good stuff there through metaphoras and such, outside the literal interpretations. I think a lot of people, no matter whether you're religious or not, aren't that comfortable in having their faith on something they thought out themselves or really accepted themselves, rather than on something which someone gave to them. Pack animals when it comes to religion and such. That why they also take a step back if you're not a part of their pack and treat you differently.

I haven't experienced what you have experienced, so I'm going to hypothesise that in an area dominated by one belief only it can become expected that everyone you meet holds identical beliefs, and it gets to the point that to believe differently is shocking and unfathomable. Putting it this way, if you were in a society that taught you that the universe was sneezed out from the nostrils of the Great Green Arkleseizure, then what would happen if for the very first time you meet someone that doesn't believe in the coming of the Great White Hanky? You'd be shocked, it would be unthinkable. The coming of the hanky is a known fact, everyone knows it. Except you. We don't get you, we don't understand you.

All I can say is that as our societies become more multicultural, and we're confronted with those who are different than we, it becomes easier to accept that not everyone is like us.

, and have to work it out for ourselves. We become used to the idea that our views are not the only ones out there, and are more accepting of those who are different.

Don't worry, it will happen where you are too, maybe not overnight, but it will happen.

~ Regards,

• Like 3

Being an out spoken Pagan can get me a lot of shocked looks and has cost me a few friends. I don't really care, If you can't deal with my religion then you might as will move on, I am not going to change. If they push me then I can turn it round and point out the flaws in their thinking. That usually ends the conversation.

I'm not sure...

all I know there is some Monk recently who died for 3 days

and came back...

could this be the new jesus??

Jesus Monk...

the cool thing about Monks.. they actually have powers..

they can float... move objects with their mind...

and break bricks with bare fists....

just amazing...

Edited by LostSouls7

I'm not sure...

all I know there is some Monk recently who died for 3 days

and came back...

could this be the new jesus??

Jesus Monk...

the cool thing about Monks.. they actually have powers..

they can float... move objects with their mind...

and break bricks with bare fists....

just amazing...

I think you're about Shaolin monks, not Christian monks

Christianity is in old ages, old ages or dead corpse because lost its purpose and mission. There are no one I think pious wise priests to change or mold new directions as they did for many thousand years. From Phallus worship to female, male and female, then male dominant Judaism, Christianity, Muslim but veiled female gods presence in them.

http://www.authorama.com/god-idea-of-the-ancients-1.html

old testaments replaced by new. . .

Maybe he was more shocked that he's friends with someone who's so into himself that he starts a thread about his beliefs online......

Because... you live in the USA.

And the largest religion on the planet is headquartered where exactly? Oh yeah, Europe.

And not only do they believe in the resurrection, but on a daily basis they believe they can turn a cracker and some wine into blood and flesh.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

Maybe he was more shocked that he's friends with someone who's so into himself that he starts a thread about his beliefs online......

That would be it there genius ;)

All I can say is that as our societies become more multicultural, and we're confronted with those who are different than we, it becomes easier to accept that not everyone is like us.

, and have to work it out for ourselves. We become used to the idea that our views are not the only ones out there, and are more accepting of those who are different.

The "multicultural" pipe dream is one of the most dangerous delusions of current Western political correctness.

What is actually happening is that our societies are not getting "multicultural", but gradually bow to pressure from one particular supremacist religion.

At the end of the road is a profoundly monocultural society, where you would have to fear for your life if you actually stepped outside the narrow boundaries alotted to dhimmis.

But keep dreaming.

Edited by Zaphod222

The "multicultural" pipe dream is one of the most dangerous delusions of current Western political correctness.

Coming from a multicultural society (in my area, 9-in-10 people come from non-English backgrounds), I'll take your opinion and file away your dim view in the darkest corner it deserves. I live with Aussies, with Iraqi's, with New Zealanders, with Asians (the last two churches I've been at were both primarily Asian) and with many other nationalities. Living in such a multicultural society has allowed me to experience things I never would have experienced otherwise. As a teenager I was afraid of a product called "Spicy Red Sauce". Why? Because the word "spicy" gave me the impression I'd be eating chilli and I didn't want chilli. Then when I joined my first church and the majority were Asian I was put in a position where I either didn't eat or I ate chilli. And you know what? I liked it. I came to LOVE chilli. These days, if i could I'd put chilli on my cornflakes and milk.

This is a very trivial example, but it gets my point across. Multiculturalism is not a "dangerous delusion", it's a celebrated future.

What is actually happening is that our societies are not getting "multicultural", but gradually bow to pressure from one particular supremacist religion....\

...But keep dreaming.

From your post history I know of whom you refer to. I just happen to think you are talking from your proverbial rear-end. My experience tells me something completely different to what you are claiming. And for me, coming from the most multicultural electorate in Australia (as said, 9-in-10 people I meet come from non-English backgrounds). What experience do you have? Just curious?
  • Like 1

And the largest religion on the planet is headquartered where exactly? Oh yeah, Europe.

Are you talking about Catholic Christians? A good percentage of American Catholics don't listen to the Vatican any more.

None of the Christians I've talked to have ever gotten worked up about anything about their religion. They all knew they were right so they didn't bother discussing any specifics with me. I got the impression that they didn't really know any.