Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can a computer be as smart as a 4-year-old ?

Saru

A new artificial intelligence program has managed to pass a verbal IQ test aimed at young children.

Computers aren't really known for their way with words, but that could be about to change. An artificial intelligence program recently scored as high as a 4-year-old on a test of verbal IQ. The result may help AIs develop common sense.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Great, when AI takes over the world we will be at the mercy of a 4 year old...

Seriously though, when ConceptNet learns to lie to get what 'it wants' like a 4 year old I will consider it as AI, until then its just another advanced piece of software/hardware doing what it is told.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

They`re no more "intelligent" than the programmer

• Like 1

Well, maybe we could be safe buying them a new robot toy!

Anyway, I don't consider it "intelligent", since it doesn't know nor understand what it's answering. It's basically a super upgraded answer machine

• Like 1

Seriously though, when ConceptNet learns to lie to get what 'it wants' like a 4 year old I will consider it as AI, until then its just another advanced piece of software/hardware doing what it is told.

Hmmm. That is interesting. I wonder if the missing proponent to A.I. and Robotics is the fact that computers haven't been told how to lie yet. If you could teach a computer program to lie, that may be the key to A.I. actually grabbing a foothold. A.I. at this stage doesn't have the programming of contemplating personal gain by pushing forth a lie.

I wonder if you could program this into a computer, if it would ever start to act independently. What if you made a program where you have a computer program or algorithm that would allow for random lies to be generated. If said lie was to result in a gain for the program, whatever gain that could be. To be honest, I feel like I am out of my league by speaking about this stuff so I am going to shut my mouth. I was just trying to come up with an outside looking in perspective. If anyone knows about computer programming I am really interested to hear your input on any such information in AI relating to what I've posted. If this is fresh thinking, I am really curious to hear what some of our really brilliant members of this website have to say about the ideas themselves and maybe we can brainstorm up something special!

Well, I would guess they may never become self aware, however there have been many things once held as sci-fi that have come to pass, so who can say? Also machines and robots can learn if programmed to do so. Sorting data is one thing, a "mind" is another.

I read somewhere the average intelligence of a chimpanzee is about equivalent to a three-year old human, so we have now possibly surpassed that. And it won't tear your arm off (yet...)!

Very true.

Look, computers can't imagine or predict by its own. Computers can't grow unless we feed them with codes and orders.

Hmmm. That is interesting. I wonder if the missing proponent to A.I. and Robotics is the fact that computers haven't been told how to lie yet. If you could teach a computer program to lie, that may be the key to A.I. actually grabbing a foothold. A.I. at this stage doesn't have the programming of contemplating personal gain by pushing forth a lie.

I wonder if you could program this into a computer, if it would ever start to act independently. What if you made a program where you have a computer program or algorithm that would allow for random lies to be generated. If said lie was to result in a gain for the program, whatever gain that could be. To be honest, I feel like I am out of my league by speaking about this stuff so I am going to shut my mouth. I was just trying to come up with an outside looking in perspective. If anyone knows about computer programming I am really interested to hear your input on any such information in AI relating to what I've posted. If this is fresh thinking, I am really curious to hear what some of our really brilliant members of this website have to say about the ideas themselves and maybe we can brainstorm up something special!

This is the issue for me, human actions are controlled by our wants and needs. Machines do not have wants, you could argue they have needs (powers supply maybe but this does not hold weight for me). Without these desires a machine will do nothing more than what it is told, even if those commands are 'lying' the machine has no concept of lying, it is just following its instructions...

Don't worry about being out of your depth, I have been drowning on here for years. ;)

No. To be smart , one has to think... computers don't.

though to be honest as a stroke victim I'm more interested in brain neural interfaces and cybernetics than AI