Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Judge orders $1million returned

Jeremiah65

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/judge-orders-1-million-returned-exotic-dancer-151044009.html

"A federal judge has ruled that Nebraska cops must return over $1 million confiscated at a traffic stop from a woman who saved the money $1 at a time during her 15 year career as an exotic dancer.

The money belongs to Tara Mishra, 33, of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., who began putting aside her earnings when she started dancing at age 18, according to an opinion U.S. District Judge Joseph Bataillon wrote last week. The money was meant to start her business and get out of the stripping business, the judge wrote."

Poor woman. Worked her butt off in not the nicest of places and the cops thought they had just bought themselves some new cruisers and new battle gear. I am so sick of corruption and the new "uniformed revenue collectors". I wonder how long it will take her to get her money back? How much you wanna bet they drag it out....

Yeah sure...."Oh it might have been drug money" but we all know there was more than upstanding legal intent here. I bet the cops were jizzing their drawers...

Goose stepping Neo Gestapo is what we have today...

The old...

gestapo_zps438bc5a1.jpg

The Neo gestapo........welcome to the 4th Reich

riotpolice_zpsa0ee1e26.jpg

What you folks think about this one?

• Like 3

Anybody who carries a million around in hard cash faces impounding. Legal money is normally not carried around in such quantities.

Then it is up to a judge to return it (and up to the IRS to determine whether you paid taxes on it).

• Like 2

http://gma.yahoo.com...-151044009.html

"A federal judge has ruled that Nebraska cops must return over $1 million confiscated at a traffic stop from a woman who saved the money $1 at a time during her 15 year career as an exotic dancer.

The money belongs to Tara Mishra, 33, of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., who began putting aside her earnings when she started dancing at age 18, according to an opinion U.S. District Judge Joseph Bataillon wrote last week. The money was meant to start her business and get out of the stripping business, the judge wrote."

Poor woman. Worked her butt off in not the nicest of places and the cops thought they had just bought themselves some new cruisers and new battle gear. I am so sick of corruption and the new "uniformed revenue collectors". I wonder how long it will take her to get her money back? How much you wanna bet they drag it out....

Yeah sure...."Oh it might have been drug money" but we all know there was more than upstanding legal intent here. I bet the cops were jizzing their drawers...

Goose stepping Neo Gestapo is what we have today...

The old...

gestapo_zps438bc5a1.jpg

The Neo gestapo........welcome to the 4th Reich

riotpolice_zpsa0ee1e26.jpg

What you folks think about this one?

This is really outrageous, I must say.

First off, why did they search her trunk in the first place? What probable cause did they have to search it? Second, why did she submit to having her trunk opened? I wouldn't have. People need to seriously know what their rights are, so this kind of c**p stops....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 3

Anybody who carries a million around in hard cash faces impounding. Legal money is normally not carried around in such quantities.

Then it is up to a judge to return it (and up to the IRS to determine whether you paid taxes on it).

I understand exactly what you are saying. However...Having large amounts of cash is not illegal...this in and of itself is a type of profiling...which is ILLEGAL.

It has become a twisted Standard Operating Procedure for the NG to confiscate large cash quantities which they then use for their own purposes...

• Like 3

This is really outrageous, I must say.

First off, why did they search her trunk in the first place? What probable cause did they have to search it? Second, why did she submit to having her trunk opened? I wouldn't have. People need to seriously know what their rights are, so this kind of c**p stops....

Very-very good point. She did NOT have to submit and what was their probable cause? The article didn't say what race...what kind of car or how fast she was driving. Seems to me there is more to the story but still....we all know that the cops thought they just made bank.

• Like 2

I understand exactly what you are saying. However...Having large amounts of cash is not illegal...this in and of itself is a type of profiling...which is ILLEGAL.

It has become a twisted Standard Operating Procedure for the NG to confiscate large cash quantities which they then use for their own purposes...

It is also the SOP for drug dealers to hord large amounts of cash. I personally don't buy the story...but the judge did...and unless he is on the take, which, we have no reason to believe that he would be, he is after all, a Federal Judge...didn't get their because he is untrustworthy...then he probably had a good reason. I personally find the whole...I saved it over fifteen years...too hard to swallow. What did she live on for fifteen years while she was saving one million dollars in cash? But....different strokes you know. But being a 'dancer'? Anyone who has ever been involved even as a viewer of that industry has to understand that drugs and prostitution are a huge part of the underlying genre.

edit: and btw...I really find it displeasing, to say the least, to refer to the men and women in uniform as nazis! We are not a police state. Maybe someday we will become one...but we are not one now and the police officers are not gestapo...it is literally russian roulett with them when they pull someone over...gotta suspect everyone until you prove otherwise...otherwise...you might get shot in the face....

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

Very-very good point. She did NOT have to submit and what was their probable cause? The article didn't say what race...what kind of car or how fast she was driving. Seems to me there is more to the story but still....we all know that the cops thought they just made bank.

It does not matter what color you are, if you carry over $10K in cash any law officer can impound it. Period.

Very-very good point. She did NOT have to submit and what was their probable cause?

Probable cause:

Probable cause is the legal standard by which a police officer has the right to make an arrest, conduct a personal or property search, or obtain a warrant for arrest. While many factors contribute to a police officer’s level of authority in a given situation, probable cause requires facts or evidence that would lead areasonable person to believe that a suspect has committed a crime.

Common examples of probable cause include the sight or smell of contraband in plain view or plain smell, or an admission of guilt for a specific crime. The presentation of any of these facts would allow an officer to perform a search and make an arrest.

Be aware that minor traffic violations (e.g. speeding, broken tail-light, or expired registration) are not considered probable cause.

What probable cause means to you

While there are certain situations where police need a warrant to search you or your property — during a traffic stop, police only need probable cause to legally search your vehicle.

The major exception to the probable cause requirement for vehicle searches is consent. Most vehicle searches don’t occur because police have probable cause. They occur because people get tricked or intimidated into consenting to search requests.

Consenting to a search request automatically makes the search legal in the eyes of the law. And the 4th Amendment doesn’t require officers to tell you about your right to refuse. So if you’re pulled over, don’t try to figure out whether or not the officer has probable cause to legally search you. You always have the right to refuse search requests by stating, “Officer, I don’t consent to any searches.” Repeat, if necessary.

If you refuse consent but the officer searches you anyway and finds illegal items, your lawyer can file a motion to suppress — or throw out — the evidence in court. If the judge agrees that the officer’s search violated the 4th Amendment’s probable cause requirements, she’ll grant the motion. Unless the prosecution has other evidence, your charges would be dismissed.

Link: http://www.flexyourr...probable-cause/

Edited by Kowalski

It does not matter what color you are, if you carry over $10K in cash any law officer can impound it. Period.

Why on earth would they have a law like that? What if your, buying a house, or like this woman in the OP a business, and you have to carry the cash in the car? Just seems like a rather stupid law....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

truley disturbing, poor thing, imagine what was going through her mind when they took ot, one dollar at a time? and to have earned over a million? she must have had hips of gold!

Why on earth would they have a law like that? What if your, buying a house, or like this woman in the OP a business, and you have to carry the cash in the car? Just seems like a rather stupid law....

im with you 100% on this one kowalski

• Like 2

That was made to discourage drug dealers. And, as sorry as I am to say this, if somebody wants to pay me $10,000 in cash I would be very suspicious. There are better ways, such as a draft note. (Teller Check).

• Like 1

This brings up a very interesting point and possible conversation.

What "if" you don't trust the modern American banking system? It might be considered a "little" paranoid but not totally unfounded. So, what do you do with your liquid assets? IF she had put it in a banking system...what would she have had to do for it to be protected? Isn't the FDIC insurance only good up to $250,000.00 now? She would have had to open accounts in 4 totally separate banks. That is....if she wanted to be totally protected....I know I would.

Gold, silver, platinum? That's not totally stable either. You could buy gold at $1,400.00 today and it be $1,375.00 tomorrow and $1,300.00 in 3 days....volatility is not your friend....Sure, you MIGHT buy at $1,400.00 today and it be $1,425.00 tomorrow...but I personally would not want to take that risk. If I had a million in liquid assets...I would be inclined to keep it "liquid".

So....what would YOU do?

Nice conversation I think....not like I personally will ever be confronted with this dilemma...but a nice theoretical situation nonetheless.

• Like 3

This brings up a very interesting point and possible conversation.

What "if" you don't trust the modern American banking system? It might be considered a "little" paranoid but not totally unfounded. So, what do you do with your liquid assets? IF she had put it in a banking system...what would she have had to do for it to be protected? Isn't the FDIC insurance only good up to $250,000.00 now? She would have had to open accounts in 4 totally separate banks. That is....if she wanted to be totally protected....I know I would.

Gold, silver, platinum? That's not totally stable either. You could buy gold at $1,400.00 today and it be $1,375.00 tomorrow and $1,300.00 in 3 days....volatility is not your friend....Sure, you MIGHT buy at $1,400.00 today and it be $1,425.00 tomorrow...but I personally would not want to take that risk. If I had a million in liquid assets...I would be inclined to keep it "liquid".

So....what would YOU do?

Nice conversation I think....not like I personally will ever be confronted with this dilemma...but a nice theoretical situation nonetheless.

i would never trust any bank if i had money like that bam house in the camons and a safe dug into the sand somewhere c la vie

• Like 1

It is also the SOP for drug dealers to hord large amounts of cash. I personally don't buy the story...but the judge did...and unless he is on the take, which, we have no reason to believe that he would be, he is after all, a Federal Judge...didn't get their because he is untrustworthy...then he probably had a good reason. I personally find the whole...I saved it over fifteen years...too hard to swallow. What did she live on for fifteen years while she was saving one million dollars in cash? But....different strokes you know. But being a 'dancer'? Anyone who has ever been involved even as a viewer of that industry has to understand that drugs and prostitution are a huge part of the underlying genre.

edit: and btw...I really find it displeasing, to say the least, to refer to the men and women in uniform as nazis! We are not a police state. Maybe someday we will become one...but we are not one now and the police officers are not gestapo...it is literally russian roulett with them when they pull someone over...gotta suspect everyone until you prove otherwise...otherwise...you might get shot in the face....

True...I attended a few of the "establishments" in my time....these women make huge money. I don't see a prob with the accumulation of cash as I know strippers and she was from California...nuff said

As far as calling the "uniformed revenue collectors" Nazi's....

daffy_jacking_zps4912bdba.gif

I called them Gestapo....different and yet not completely....when they stop behaving that way...I'll stop thinking that way.

• Like 2

umbrella drinks, but yeah i agree who cares if you buy something with cash like that, i do understand questionmarks point though, the law was placed so that organized crime could be stopped a bit more, but shouldnt be that much of a hassle, i am curious as to how she proved she saved it all up

• Like 1

True...I attended a few of the "establishments" in my time....these women make huge money. I don't see a prob with the accumulation of cash as I know strippers and she was from California...nuff said

As far as calling the "uniformed revenue collectors" Nazi's....

daffy_jacking_zps4912bdba.gif

I called them Gestapo....different and yet not completely....when they stop behaving that way...I'll stop thinking that way.

amen to that brother

• Like 1

i would never trust any bank if i had money like that bam house in the camons and a safe dug into the sand somewhere c la vie

It's not uncommon for a lot of the old timers who grew up during the Depression, to not trust banks, and they hid their money under the mattress....Can't blame them for feeling that way either. If I had saved up a million dollars, no way would I put it in the bank....

One only needs to put aside $730.60 a month to save a million in fifteen years. That would be a days work in some of those places.

• Like 3

To answer a couple in here at once...

I also would like to know how she "proved" she saved it...lap dance for the judge? (Bad form but still funny!)

And Q-mark is also correct...if these were dancer "tips"....how can she prove she paid taxes on it?

I knew strippers way back in the day (been married almost 25 years) but I'm pretty sure these women earn every damn dime...grubby nasty drunk butth0les pawing all over them....

• Like 2

why on earth would anyone carry a million dollars in cash, when they know that people will kill you for a twenty? Why didn't she just take the money and invest it in the stock market? She would have a hell of a lot more than a million dollars.

Besides, she did say that she wanted to buy her own business and so she saved, and saved and saved...okay fine...but if she is business savvy...then she should already know that you don't do it that way.

Edited by joc

why on earth would anyone carry a million dollars in cash, when they know that people will kill you for a twenty? Why didn't she just take the money and invest it in the stock market? She would have a hell of a lot more than a million dollars.

Besides, she did say that she wanted to buy her own business and so she saved, and saved and saved...okay fine...but if she is business savvy...then she should already know that you don't do it that way.

You perhaps have never participated in the "underground" subculture? Trust is something that is simply non-existent.

Why would I trust the criminals on Wall Street? We saw just a few years ago they can rob you blind and walk...no charges.

Why would I trust the banking system?....we have witnessed on the world stage that they can give you a "haircut" with zero notice.

Why would you trust a volatile commodity like precious metals? Can drop in a minute...or less.

Diamonds? Buy one and then try to sell it....you will lose at LEAST 40-50% in 30 seconds.

No...IF I had "liquid" capitol...I would want to keep it that way.

• Like 1

Besides that, if you star a million dollar business the IRS will certainly want to know where the initial investment came from. I don't think they accept the "under the mattress" thingy.

• Like 1

Besides that, if you star a million dollar business the IRS will certainly want to know where the initial investment came from. I don't think they accept the "under the mattress" thingy.

Why can the IRS ask where I got the money? If they think I got it from illegal means then let them prove it. Why should I have to prove my innocence? Shouldn't they have to prove my guilt?

• Like 3

Why can the IRS ask where I got the money? If they think I got it from illegal means then let them prove it. Why should I have to prove my innocence? Shouldn't they have to prove my guilt?

BINGO!....We have a winner!

Innocent until proven guilty...

Oh...that's right...when it comes to stealing your money...the Constitution no longer applies...

• Like 3

Not if it comes to money you have, since the Racketeering Laws you have to prove that you have gotten it legally and paid your taxes on it.

• Like 1