Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dozens Killed in Devastating Train Crash

questionmark

At least 78 people were killed and over 140 more injured on Wednesday night when a train derailed just outside of the Spanish city Santiago de Compostela. Initial reports suggest the train may have been traveling too fast.

It is one of Europe's worst ever rail disasters. On Wednesday evening, a train jumped off the tracks just outside of the Spanish city of Santiago de Compostela on Wednesday evening. As of Thursday morning, officials were saying that at least 78 people died and more than 140 were injured in the accident.

Read more

It is said the train was exceeding the speed limit, which seems a reasonable explanation. In this video (non gruesome) of the actual crash, it can be seen that there is a problem with the first passenger carridge before the train derails. I know the locomotive is much heavier than the carridges it pulls as so would be more likely not to turn over, and it can be seen that the locomotive seems to be dragged over by the carridges behind it. But look closely at the first, or second (difficult to see clearly) carridge before everything goes bad, it seems to raise up before rolling. Any expert at crash dynamics here?

http://youtu.be/BMxhlpZ4xkY

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri

Very sad indeed.

• Like 2

It does seem that the carriages immediately behind the engine became unstable first. I read that the train was going twice as fast as allowable for that curve. The driver is under investigation. Horrible tragedy for all concerned.

This is a still shot I edited from the video....the car that began derailing is obviously leaving the track way before the curve...or...is this an optical illusion?

trainwreck_zps1a7351f5.jpg

This is a still shot I edited from the video....the car that began derailing is obviously leaving the track way before the curve...or...is this an optical illusion?

It certainly does seem to ride up in the air before rolling. I think that while it does seem to be the result of speeding, perhaps something else happening like a wheel breaking as happened at the train disaster in Germany some years back. I don't remember the place.

And this photo shown on Russian TV is supposed to be taken of the speedometer of the train, stuck on 200km. Though if this is genuine or not and how this was obtained, well......

0c409e58104d.jpg

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri

I'm sorry for the loss of life, the injured and the families. Very tragic :(

• Like 1

The train was going way too fast for that corner..

Sad to hear so many died as a result.

The driver of a train that derailed on Wednesday killing 78 people has been formally detained, Spanish police say.

The driver, who was injured and is under guard in hospital, is accused of "crimes related to the accident", they say.

There are reports that the train was travelling at more than double the speed limit at the time of the crash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23465992

And this photo shown on Russian TV is supposed to be taken of the speedometer of the train, stuck on 200km. Though if this is genuine or not and how this was obtained, well......

0c409e58104d.jpg

I believe it was obtained from the drivers on line twiiter or FB post.. Boasting about the speed he had travelled. I may be wrong, I was just quickly reading a new article.

I believe it was obtained from the drivers on line twiiter or FB post.. Boasting about the speed he had travelled. I may be wrong, I was just quickly reading a new article.

Correct. This was shown on Vesti without the information it was from his FB. It was corrected later