Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bank mistakenly repossesses woman's home

Heru

If your in Ohio don't or stop doing business with First National bank of Wellston. When a home owner was on vacation First National was in her neighborhood to reposes a home. They changed her locks and took her possessions in her home. Thing is she has no dealings with the bank and the bank repossessed the wrong house. Which they blame on GPS, it gave them the wrong coordinates. So she went to the bank's president with a bill for $18,000 to reimburse her for the stuff they took.

Well this is what happened: “He got very firm with me and said, ‘We’re not paying you retail here, that’s just the way it is"

http://news.yahoo.co...-172941826.html

Edited by Saru
Title edited to match source article
  • Like 1

Boycott First National bank of Wellston. Check! They are now on my list. ;)

Anybody else? I've already got Wal-Marts, Mcdonalds and Green Tree on my list.

• Like 2

Ugh, why would the depend solely on GPS? They for sure don't always work- almost all GPS puts my home in the middle of a nearby highway. But you would think they would also rely on, I dunno, the address on the house? I hope the lady gets her stuff back.

• Like 2

As soon as he said no, the next person he would have been talking to would have been my lawyer. I'm sure there are many that would love a case like this.

• Like 7

With a case like that, you don't negotiate you litigate.

• Like 9

With a case like that, you don't negotiate you litigate.

Exactly, and you go for alot more the 18 grand

• Like 2

Sure blame the GPS when you're clearly too damn stupid to check the damn address on the front of the house.

I hate people sometimes... I need jokes now.

• Like 3

Exactly, and you go for alot more the 18 grand

Indeed, A hell of a lot more, up to 5 times the amount... For breaking in, and grand theft, along with with stress and hardship, you can clean their clocks with this easy...

• Like 3

Imagine the personal pictures and keepsakes that were thrown away and can't be replaced. I would be livid!

• Like 2

This is breaking in, theft, and vandalism, no if ands or buts about it. How have the people responsible not been arrested? She should go for more them 18 grand.

I would sue for over 100 grand alone, for my grandfather’s war log from WWII being gone. I think with all the family heirlooms I have [i’m the prince of the family (the last and only male that can pass on our name) and in my family that means I’m responsible for all of the original pictures going back generations and the male family heirlooms.] plus all of the other things, my price for the bank would be closer to half a million dollars and thats being reasonable.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 2

This is breaking in, theft, and vandalism, no if ands or buts about it. How have the people responsible not been arrested? She should go for more them 18 grand.

I would sue for over 100 grand alone, for my grandfather’s war log from WWII being gone. I think with all the family heirlooms I have [i’m the prince of the family (the last and only male that can pass on our name) and in my family that means I’m responsible for all of the original pictures going back generations and the male family heirlooms.] plus all of the other things, my price for the bank would be closer to half a million.

Ditto...I'm the last of my family line and I've been the one to hold on to all of the memorabilia, because others couldn't be bothered with it. :tu:

• Like 1

Ditto...I'm the last of my family line and I've been the one to hold on to all of the memorabilia, because others couldn't be bothered with it. :tu:

It's not that others in my family can't be bothered with it, for us its a tradition that my aunts and uncles tried to stop but my grandfather was smart and knew that some of the others could not be trusted. And man was he right, one of my cousins stole one of my grandfather's silver wings from WWII and sold it for beer money (cost me $200 dollars to get it back, grandpa did not want me to call the cops). He knew I would never sell anything no matter what and gave me everything, much to the objection of my aunts and uncles who wanted them for my cousins.

Sorry for going off topic.

Edited by Odin11

It's not that others in my family can't be bothered with it, for us its a tradition that my aunts and uncles tried to stop but my grandfather was smart and knew that some of the others could not be trusted. And man was he right, one of my cousins stole one of my grandfather's silver wings from WWII and sold it for beer money (cost me $200 dollars to get it back, grandpa did not want me to call the cops). He knew I would never sell anything no matter what and give me everything, much to the objection of my aunts and uncles who wanted them for my cousins.

Sorry for going off topic.

I know what you mean. If someone didn't sell it for the money, they moved around so much they didn't want to lug everything from place to place, because they aren't as sentimental as I am. Even personal letters mean a lot to me, that have no monetary value at all. The history is more important to me than anything else.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. If someone didn't sell it for the money, they moved around so much they didn't want to lug everything from place to place, because they aren't as sentimental as I am. Even personal letters mean a lot to me, that have no monetary value at all. The history is more important to me than anything else.

I agree 100%. I have letters from my grandma to my grandpa when he was a POW in Germany during WWII, this is how they met, though letters (this is a very good story and I'm trying to write a book about it and maybe a screen play as well). His POW war log and letters are the most important things I own. Everything else means nothing when compared to them. I would be devastated if a bank took them or threw them away and would not be in my right mind, I don’t know what I would do but it would not be good.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

I agree 100%. I have letters from my grandma to my grandpa when he was a POW in Germany during WWII, this is how they met, though letters (this is a very good story and I'm trying to write a book about it and maybe a screen play as well). His POW war log and letters are the most important things I own. Everything else means nothing when compared to them. I would be devastated if a bank took them or threw them away and would not be in my right mind, I don’t know what I would do but it would not be good.

I would love to read it..it sounds fascinating!

I can honestly say, if someone invaded my home, and threw away things that I deem important, it wouldn't be a pleasant outcome. :tu:

• Like 1

I would scan those letters and back them up digitally on disc, file servers or hard drives. Fires, floods, burglars, gas leaks, vindictive family members, babysitters, etc. could also devastate.

• Like 4

Anyone with a brain knows that GPS will get you in the area but not always to the correct address. I can't believe that they didn't double or triple check it just boggles the mind!

Yep! She tried to play nice but it would now be up to the lawyers to sort out the mess and trust me I wouldn't stop at just a small settlement. And it is correct why haven't the people been charged with theft and breaking and entering and what ever other charges that need to be tacked on since the item is a house (and goods) the bank tried to steal, heck the goods alone make it a felony, aren't they in jail?

Mabon.

• Like 2

sooo, if I go into the bank presidents home and "repossess" his stuff and destroy it. And then when he calls the cops just say "whoops" wrong address. Does that work? This small town definitely has some issues with the law.

And then what other posters don't realize is that it is not a simple matter to sue - regardless of common belief. It costs money. The plaintiff was just cleaned out and has few assets. A small community may have few lawyers to start with, and then trying to get one on contingency to fight against a clearly old boys network. This is much more difficult that it appears.

• Like 3

sooo, if I go into the bank presidents home and "repossess" his stuff and destroy it. And then when he calls the cops just say "whoops" wrong address. Does that work? This small town definitely has some issues with the law.

And then what other posters don't realize is that it is not a simple matter to sue - regardless of common belief. It costs money. The plaintiff was just cleaned out and has few assets. A small community may have few lawyers to start with, and then trying to get one on contingency to fight against a clearly old boys network. This is much more difficult that it appears.

This is true, but little town doesn't always mean little money. Some people like to live in the boonies and commute to the nearest large cities for their jobs.

• Like 1

I would scan those letters and back them up digitally on disc, file servers or hard drives. Fires, floods, burglars, gas leaks, vindictive family members, babysitters, etc. could also devastate.

Old movies too. I recently had 76 old home movies put on DVD's. It wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it because they cleaned them up after they had become brittle and yellowed with age.

• Like 3

Old movies too. I recently had 76 old home movies put on DVD's. It wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it because they cleaned them up after they had become brittle and yellowed with age.

My parents did the same last year including silent 8mm film from my grandparents put to classical piano. They had surprisingly smooth frame rates for their age, I was impressed!

• Like 2

Some lawyer will take a case on percentage of the settlement rather than an upfront fee. Her case has made international news (since it's on the internet) and I'm sure a few lawyers would love to handle the case. If I were one I would.

Why didn't she go to the police!

She did.. and after a quick investigation they shut the case. I'd also include the police in my suite. The info was in the video not the written account.

Mabon.

She did.. and after a quick investigation they shut the case.

which makes me think the old boys network in town is very much in play and she won't get anything.